ZaK Browns Suggestions to fix Indycar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZaK Browns Suggestions to fix Indycar

Listen when Zak speaks you outta listen - hes the most important / high profile advocate we have that doesnt work for Penske entertainment.

The man has negotiated billions of dollars worth of sponsorship deals, whatever he says needs to be done, must be done .

I agree with both suggestions 100%

if a new chassis isnt mentioned next season Im probably out as a full time fan and switching to indy 500 only- theres nothing to look fwd to otherwise .

also east coast street courses need to be the future. Cherish the ovals we have +milwaukee bc we sure as hell aint getting any more - and we shouldnt

https://www.motorsport.com/indycar/n...sion/10369367/

FINALLY somebody in this dumb series states the most glaring hole in the schedule. A total lack of a presence on the EAST COAST!!!! Totally with Zak here, even if the course is terrible, just having a presence, so that you can extend your brand, your sponsors, to the fans in person, is critical.

“Anywhere – New York, Philadelphia, Jersey, Massachusetts,” he shrugged. “I’d go back to Meadowlands – although I’d like to see a different layout. As much as I love some of the up north road courses, I think it’s got to be a street race. Even DC, there was an ALMS race. Something like that.

“I was talking about this with Mark [Miles, Penske Entertainment CEO]. We need to do a heat map of all the stadiums and convention centers as they seem to be the best place to look. Long Beach is around a convention center, Toronto is around a convention center, Nashville is around a stadium. Look at where all the convention centers and sports stadiums are on the East coast and see if that’s a place to start.”
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

The man said something that a few of us on here have been saying for years, the cars need to be faster.

Comment

I would look at Brown and say sure, you don't have to go back all that far to a time when Eddie Gossage couldn't have enough praise heaped upon him on TF because he said some obvious things that just never came about. Identifying where the series isn't, is a slow hanging curveball that's easy to launch into the bleachers. How do they get there? I don't think there are any credible potential street race promoters left in existence. I mean worse than not being in those east coast cities it repeating what happened in Baltimore, and Boston. It's not enough to sign a 5 year contract with a city or stadium, it's got to be done well enough the 1st year to make it to the 2nd then improvements have to be made to get through year 5 and there's nobody out there who you could possibly have faith in to do that. Mainly because making money on a new IndyCar SC is touch and go but making enough to put money back into the event isn't going to be part of a promoters plan.

Brown obviously favors SC's because they give the appearance of being successful and press releases can make them sound bigger than they actually are. I think The best course going forward is for IndyCar to build up the promotional team that handled Iowa and if there's no way for IndyCar to buy tracks, then embark on a track rental plan with that promotional team. To the point of bringing in someone dedicated to each rented venue, that person moves to the area and sets up shop, contacting potential sponsors, schmoozing the local media and understanding the local fan base. The east coast is one target area, New Hampshire, Richmond and Homestead. Once you have gotten good at making those ovals work then I would look at the Meadowlands to try a street/stadium course.
        "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
        "They're criminals"
        "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Ah the optimism of new team owners thinking that they can change things. Zak hasn't been around long enough to become cynical and jaded yet.

That being said, I 100% agree with him on this. As Grizz says, even if it's another Baltimore-esque street circuit, it will at least help with all those sweet sweet B2B deals. Personally I am still sad that Loudon was a bust and that they didn't try again to bring back Richmond after the 2020 cancellation but there are plenty of other good venues in the Northeast like Watkin's Glen, Pocono (I know there are too many bad memories), or New Jersey Motorsport Park that could possibly host a race.

Comment

Zak, there is what is basically an abandoned airfield about halfway between NYC and Boston that is eventually going to become warehouse space (if it hasn't already) but could probably be set up as a road course for not a lot of money, likely wouldn't have NIMBY issues (the facility hosts a college football stadium and has a jet engine plant next door) and you might get some municipal support as the region is starving for things to attract tourism.

Rentschler Field, East Hartford, Connecticut.

EDIT: The city of East Hartford just signed another memorandum of understanding with another developer to do something with the Rentschler Field site. I'd bet money that nothing comes of it, and the airfield portion of the facility will continue to be used as overflow parking for UCONN Football games.

How does one contact Zak Brown?
            “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
              Zak, there is what is basically an abandoned airfield about halfway between NYC and Boston that is eventually going to become warehouse space (if it hasn't already) but could probably be set up as a road course for not a lot of money, likely wouldn't have NIMBY issues (the facility hosts a college football stadium and has a jet engine plant next door) and you might get some municipal support as the region is starving for things to attract tourism.

Rentschler Field, East Hartford, Connecticut.

EDIT: The city of East Hartford just signed another memorandum of understanding with another developer to do something with the Rentschler Field site. I'd bet money that nothing comes of it, and the airfield portion of the facility will continue to be used as overflow parking for UCONN Football games.

How does one contact Zak Brown?
              Hartford 400. Love it. Or Connecticut Grand Prix? Not sold on those names but like your thinking

Somebody try to contact Zak because Lord knows that Indycar promotion wouldn't do anything
              https://mobile.twitter.com/zbrownceo

Comment

Originally posted by gnome View Post

Hartford 400. Love it. Or Connecticut Grand Prix? Not sold on those names but like your thinking

Somebody try to contact Zak because Lord knows that Indycar promotion wouldn't do anything
                https://mobile.twitter.com/zbrownceo
                Is there another, less public way to make contact? I don't care for Twitter and I'm not sure about LinkedIn either.
                “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

When Zak Brown gets hired to be a part of the IC hierarchy, his opinions will mean something. Until then, they don't.

The last thing this sport needs are more crappy street races. That's part of the problem with the PRODUCT, that is turning people off to the sport. The racing isn't good enough or compelling enough to make the old spec racing package interesting to enough people.

Yes the sport needs a presence in the NE. Richmond is the obvious option.

Indy Car is also going to have to find a replacement for Toronto soon as well. Canada obviously needs a race and it will be interesting to see what eventually replaces the Toronto street race.

Last edited by IS-Drew83; 09-14-2022, 09:21 PM.

Comment

One word:
                    Loudon.

Last time they ran there, they drew 28,000 people on a rainy day with less than a 50% chance of getting the race run (the infamous Power double-bird day). The issue was, with the sanction agreement the rodeo guy gave them, they needed 41,000 to break even. So, it was a one-and-done. There are road and street race promoters that would give pieces of their anatomy to get 28,000 on race day.

Run them with Lights -- maybe even Pro 2000 -- and the NASCAR modifieds both on Sunday, give them a reasonable sanction fee, hold SMI's feet to the fire (in the contract) to do proper promotion, and it will be a success. Checks so many boxes -- East Coast, oval, ladder involvement, won't be a black eye for the series like Boston was, won't be a joke of a race (looking at you, Nashville).

Why this possibility is never mentioned by anyone in the inner circle is beyond me.

Comment

People will go to street races and they fit a 2-hour network slot nicely. Zak is right, I'm just not sure there's any more street races to be found.

Comment

Originally posted by MM658 View Post
                        One word:
                        Loudon.

Last time they ran there, they drew 28,000 people on a rainy day with less than a 50% chance of getting the race run (the infamous Power double-bird day). The issue was, with the sanction agreement the rodeo guy gave them, they needed 41,000 to break even. So, it was a one-and-done. There are road and street race promoters that would give pieces of their anatomy to get 28,000 on race day.

Run them with Lights -- maybe even Pro 2000 -- and the NASCAR modifieds both on Sunday, give them a reasonable sanction fee, hold SMI's feet to the fire (in the contract) to do proper promotion, and it will be a success. Checks so many boxes -- East Coast, oval, ladder involvement, won't be a black eye for the series like Boston was, won't be a joke of a race (looking at you, Nashville).

Why this possibility is never mentioned by anyone in the inner circle is beyond me.
                        Last time they were there to draw 28k was 2011. I don't think anyone with money to put on the line believes that number would be equaled in 2023.

Comment

New Jersey Motorsports park is a perfect place to partner with. It is a natural road course. It will definitely need improvements to host Indycar - but I do not think it will be crazy. It can easily handle the crowd an Indycar race would generate now and has the potential to grow with the series/race. It can be a stable venue not subject the politics of a street race and it is within 2 hours of NYC and DC and an hour of Philly. I live about 5 miles from the track and I am pretty sure the local gov't would welcome Indycar with open arms as our area desperately needs attractions/events to draw people in. You could make a heck of a harvest festival GP in South Jersey this time of year...

Also, his point about the cars needing to be faster is 100% correct. For Indycar to be taken seriously, the cars need to be more comparable with the capabilities of an F1 car. Back in the CART glory days an Indycar was not much different than an F1 car in terms of performance - today F1 is clearly faster and more advanced than Indycar......

Comment

Originally posted by BuckheadIndy View Post
                            also east coast street courses need to be the future. Cherish the ovals we have +milwaukee bc we sure as hell aint getting any more - and we shouldnt
                            Plus Richmond, New Hampshire and Homestead besides Milwaukee. There's your perfectly balanced schedule then. I definitely agree about the cars, they should be faster.
                            IndyCar fan4ever.

Comment

Whatever replaces Toronto won’t be an oval - we don’t have any suitable ones outside of Sanair maybe. The point is moot anyway as we don’t have an oval racing culture for Formula cars.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X