Here's an idea.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's an idea.....

All of you traditionalist, I will give you a moment to load your guns........

Now, here's my idea. Change the Indy 500 to the Indy 1000. Here's why...

Indy should be unique. It has a mystique about it. A large part of that mystique stems from it's history as a testing facility. The manufacturers will want to be involved if winning this race would showcase their technological superiority in a way that they could translate into their superior quality. Today, 200 mph racecars are commonplace to the general public, however, 200 mph racecars that can go from halfway accross the country in 5.5 to 6 hours is unique and something to brag about!!

500 Mile Races don't mean as much as they once did. NASCAR runs them all the time now.

The race is over too soon now. 3 hours is just not enough time for the biggest race in the world. I know, I know, TV will never have a 5 or 6 hour event. To that argument I say, make it truly special and they will (How long does Fox run the Daytona 500 when you take into consideration all the Pre and Post race garbage.)

Here's the hard part. The purse needs to be $5 million to the winner. Again, Indy has to be unique. Something that clearly sets it apart from any other race in the world. A five million dollar check to the winner will do that. It also will return Indy as a place the best drivers from all series comes to take a crack at it.

Create a title for the winner. Something like "Worlds Greatest Racecar Driver" and market it as an athletic achievement as well as a technogical achievement. We create bogus titles for sports champions all the time. (Ex=Why do we call the Superbowl Champs the World Champs when no teams from other countries can ever try for it?) The key is that the race has to be special enough that the title has legitimacy to the general audience. I'm not saying that we will ever get a F1 zealot (no disrespect intended) to accept it, but to the average sports fan could embrace it if it was marketed right.

The bottom line is that Indy needs to think outside the box to re-establish itself as the exception to all the races out there. Unfortunately, it's fan base is aging (like me) and it must once again make itself truly unique.

Just my .02. Before you fire away, let me put my bias on the table.

10000000% devoted to the Indy 500. My first love.
    10000% devoted to the IRL. Best racing anywhere.
    Will watch CCWS if nothing else is on. Don't like the anti-IRL comments from some in the series or some fans.
    Lost all interest in NASCAR about 1995.

Fire Away!!!!
    kwetcherbetchen

Sure, but make it 1000k on the road course with Grand American cars.

But leave the 500 the way it is.
    "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

Originally posted by Waiting for May
      ................................The bottom line is that Indy needs to think outside the box to re-establish itself as the exception to all the races out there. Unfortunately, it's fan base is aging (like me) and it must once again make itself truly unique.

Just my .02. Before you fire away, let me put my bias on the table.

10000000% devoted to the Indy 500. My first love.
      10000% devoted to the IRL. Best racing anywhere.
      Will watch CCWS if nothing else is on. Don't like the anti-IRL comments from some in the series or some fans.
      Lost all interest in NASCAR about 1995.

Fire Away!!!!
      Indy is already unique.

I do not understand why so many self proclaimed IRL "fans," who surely must know the league is merely an extension and step child of Indy, would wish to change the one thing which makes the IRL possible.

Indy, one of the few sports traditions which has withstood the travails of time and stood before the world for almost a hundred years as "The race to win," and someone is wanting to change it???

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin
        Sure, but make it 1000k on the road course with Grand American cars.

But leave the 500 the way it is.
        Couldn't have said it better myself.

Now then, let's look at the IRL car/engine packages and the lack of imagination thereof...
        You've worked so hard on the kidney. Very special -- the kidney has a very special place in the heart. It's an incredible thing. Donald John Trump

Brian's Wish * Jason Foundation

Comment

Originally posted by Benson477
          Indy is already unique.

I do not understand why so many self proclaimed IRL "fans," who surely must know the league is merely an extension and step child of Indy, would wish to change the one thing which makes the IRL possible.

Indy, one of the few sports traditions which has withstood the travails of time and stood before the world for almost a hundred years as "The race to win," and someone is wanting to change it???

This may not have been a shot at my devotion as a fan, but it sure sounds like it. In any case, anyone who doubts my devotion to the IMS and Indy 500 is definately mistaken.

Evolution is necessary for any business or entity to stay "at the top". Is Indy the best today, without a doubt it is. However, one cannot argue that it's prestige has slipped in the general sports arena. I personally do not think it has as much to do with a 10 year old split as it does with the loss of the unique challenge it held for so many years.

I am simply proposing to "up the ante" and once again place Indy at the top of every list in the motorsports world.

To dimiss my idea is one thing, to question my devotion as a fan is another and is not warranted nor should it be tolerated.
          kwetcherbetchen

Comment

I couldn't agree more on the 5 million dollar purse to the winner. Daytona has the same purse if not bigger. I think doubling the purse will only help and I'm sure it would help the car count.

Other than that, leave it how it is.
            “If somebody blocked you, you either hit ’em in the *** or got out of your car and beat their ***,” said A.J. Foyt

Comment

Chalk up another altruistic suggestion to spend someone else's money making the purse bigger. Don't you think if someone with the money to pitch in hasn't stepped forward by now they aren't going to? As for the double miles, NASCAR's commonplace 500 mile races are boring, they've shortened Dover and Darlington and people call for shortening more. Part of why they are boring is that tires are all important and they stop for fresh tires on every caution and whoever comes out ahead after the last stop has the upper hand. IndyCar tires can last beyond a fuel window so there are varied strategies prime example being this year's 4th place finisher. There's nothing wrong with the Indianapolis 500 mile race distance. You obviously missed Sneva on WT saying that the title, Indianapolis 500 champion carries plenty of weight and more than any new made up marketed name without 88 years of history behind it will ever matter.

So try again with the newfangled notions, kudos on your dedication.
              "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
              "They're criminals"
              "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

I like it...

Keep the 500 the way it is in May. But if the popularity ever rises to a level, that IndyCar can run a second race, at Indy, perhaps a 1000 mile race would be increadibly unique, fast, loud, and awesome. About 5 1/2 or six hour deal with 12 to 14 pit stops. Maybe if they did it every-other year or something equally unique.

remember the big "if" in the first sentence. Right now, they need to sell the Indy 500.

Dizz Fan
                "There's no doubt he (Herta) spun on purpose," said Dan Wheldon, …one of the Andretti Green Racing mechanics confessed he was "ashamed" that his team resorted to those tactics.

"It's not my fault" ~ Danica

Comment

Ok, here's my impossible idea. Run the 500 just as it is now. Then switch over to the road course and run another 500 miles. The winner of the first race is the Indy 500 winner. The winner of the second race is the winner of the Indianapolis Grand Prix. A driver wins both and there should be some special recognition and extra prize money.
                  Randy

"Danica has earned her equipment and her opportunity. It didn't just materialize out of the air. She earned it one piece at a time, starting at 10 years old." Mark Martin

"Life does not imitate art. It imitates bad television." Unidentified TV Talking Head.

Comment

While we're tinkering with one of the few things about the IRL that actually works, here's a suggestion. At every pit stop, the driver chugs a beer. That'll make things more interesting and you don't have to change the length or anything.
                    It's impossible, that's sure. So let's start working.- Phillipe Petit

Talent borrows, Genius steals. - Pablo Picasso

Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombardier R142
                      While we're tinkering with one of the few things about the IRL that actually works, here's a suggestion. At every pit stop, the driver chugs a beer. That'll make things more interesting and you don't have to change the length or anything.

That makes about as much sense as the original brain ****.

Indy is not broken and if it ain't broken leave it alone.

The thing which is broken is the management of today's OW racing and the IRL in particular as it pertains to Indy. We can not even fill the field wihout scraping the barrel in a feeble, ill advised and ludicrous effort only to come up with entries which are embarrassing.

Comment

I say everyone uses a two seater and the driver and his riding mec. have to get out of the car during pitstops and do their own fueling and tire changing.

To make it even more exciting let us use our downforce pts to buy a mec. position.

I have 32,000 plus to spend on being Sam's riding mec.

I am blessed to have witnessed "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing" 50 times!

Comment

The idea of doubling the race distance is worth consideration. There has been a major change in the way top teams approach the 500 during the past 20 years.

It used to be a 500 mile endurance race. Lately it's a 500 mile sprint race.

First time I listened to the 500, I heard a few laps, went to a picnic, heard a few laps, mowed the lawn, came inside and heard the finish. Nowadays we don't even take food to the track because we'll be back at the motorhome real soon.

How could twice as much Indy 500 be a bad thing??????

Comment

Why not keep it easy, Keep calling it the 500, and turn it into 500 laps..

1250miles..
                            "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." - Mark Twain

Comment

TV will never let it happen.
                              - Make a note of the word 'Gobbly-gook'. I like it and I want to use it more often in conversation.
                              --Yes, sir.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X