Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNdoomed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • UNdoomed

    Took some time and watched the "Champ" cars in Mexico Sunday, first race I watched all year. Just could not get "into it". The course was somewhat interesting, but the racing was not interesting to me, so I switched to Nascar at Texas. Man, what an endurance race, need to work on my attention span, as I found it boring.

    The point of this little letter is to state I would have a hard time watching either race with friends, and get them to understand my interest in racing. Neither was going to hook anyone into the sport. One can't judge a series by one race, but when the Champ guys started screeching about the "push to pass" computers needing to be reset, and Blah blah blah, it reminded me of the old pop off valve controversies years ago.

    I now realize that the IRL has me totally hooked, I enjoy the drivers so much more than the other series, the cars and the race courses satisfy my need for variety also. As I sometimes worry about the future of the IRL, I now realize if the series should meet it's demise, I would not migrate to another series, but spend my time elsewhere doing other things.

    Hoping the condensed schedule works next year, I like the theory. A little starved for racing right now, but an appetite is good.
    Anything worth doing is worth doing twice....

  • #2
    Good post. I fell the same. Only I did not watch the CCWS race but watched the NASCAR show. It wasn't bad but it certainly cannot match Indy cars in terms of the quality of the competition.
    "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone is life" Sid Collins

    Comment


    • #3
      I did not even know the Champ car race was on. I watched the last half of the NASCAR race. The end was pretty exciting. Its hard to top the IRL in Texas, though.
      Randy

      "Danica has earned her equipment and her opportunity. It didn't just materialize out of the air. She earned it one piece at a time, starting at 10 years old." Mark Martin

      "Life does not imitate art. It imitates bad television." Unidentified TV Talking Head.

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice post. And I agree whole heartedly.

        Just noticed you are in New Haven - home of Breuggeman Lumber.
        Have attended: Indy 500 (36), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (6), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

        Comment


        • #5
          I never thought I'd see the day that Tony Stewart would turn into a stroker.
          Speak your truth quietly and clearly: and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have a story

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by aratapuss
            I now realize that the IRL has me totally hooked, I enjoy the drivers so much more than the other series, the cars and the race courses satisfy my need for variety also. As I sometimes worry about the future of the IRL, I now realize if the series should meet it's demise, I would not migrate to another series, but spend my time elsewhere doing other things.
            Absolutely.

            Although there's uncertainty over what'll happen with the league, I know I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts, however long that may be. I was a bit downcast to learn that Dan might be leaving, as he's my favourite driver, but I figured that even if he does there are plenty more drivers that I like to watch, be it Vitor, Castroneves, Danica, or any of the other drivers that I've come to know and love over the last few years.

            If it all ended tomorrow I wouldn't be watching Champ Car or Nasar, that's for sure - I've tried to watch a few races of both series this year and they just do nothing for me.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by spotter
              I never thought I'd see the day that Tony Stewart would turn into a stroker.
              Stewart wasn't stroking...I was there and listened to his discussions with Zippy all day...the car was great for about ten laps and then it took a dump...happened on just about every restart...after Mark hit him the car simply didn't have it...your imaginging things...btw, isn't this a NASCAR subject...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Radny
                I did not even know the Champ car race was on. I watched the last half of the NASCAR race. The end was pretty exciting. Its hard to top the IRL in Texas, though.
                If you dont have any dogs in the hunt why watch? Nothing wrong about that.
                aXe
                Born Again Race Fan seen at
                www.openwheelracers3.com

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by aratapuss
                  Took some time and watched the "Champ" cars in Mexico Sunday, first race I watched all year. Just could not get "into it". The course was somewhat interesting, but the racing was not interesting to me, so I switched to Nascar at Texas. Man, what an endurance race, need to work on my attention span, as I found it boring.

                  The point of this little letter is to state I would have a hard time watching either race with friends, and get them to understand my interest in racing. Neither was going to hook anyone into the sport. One can't judge a series by one race, but when the Champ guys started screeching about the "push to pass" computers needing to be reset, and Blah blah blah, it reminded me of the old pop off valve controversies years ago.

                  I now realize that the IRL has me totally hooked, I enjoy the drivers so much more than the other series, the cars and the race courses satisfy my need for variety also. As I sometimes worry about the future of the IRL, I now realize if the series should meet it's demise, I would not migrate to another series, but spend my time elsewhere doing other things.

                  Hoping the condensed schedule works next year, I like the theory. A little starved for racing right now, but an appetite is good.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I thought the champ car race was interesting...of course, I watched the whole thing. Good duels for top 5 positions all day, and that push-to-pass button and the strategy behind it made for an interesting final stint.

                    Did I mention the strategies involved with the different tire compounds?

                    Just out or curiosity, the original poster says this race was boring and turned it off before finishing it. Would you give a movie review after watching less than half of it?

                    If you're going to criticize champ car, at least be fair about it...
                    Last edited by Kaaveh; 11-08-2005, 09:14 AM.
                    -Kaaveh
                    http://www.humansofracing.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It depends on whether you know the drivers or not. For average Joe, any race is boring. When you have guys to root for, and guys you wish ill, is when your interest is peaked.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kaaveh
                        I thought the champ car race was interesting...of course, I watched the whole thing. Good duels for top 5 positions all day, and that push-to-pass button and the strategy behind it made for an interesting final stint.

                        Did I mention the strategies involved with the different tire compounds?
                        All the push to pass and varying tire compounds makes me think of what the Rodney Dangerfield character did to the golf course in Caddy Shack II.
                        DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Lee Roy
                          All the push to pass and varying tire compounds makes me think of what the Rodney Dangerfield character did to the golf course in Caddy Shack II.
                          As long as it's the same for everyone, who cares? It made for a good race.
                          -Kaaveh
                          http://www.humansofracing.com

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Kaaveh
                            As long as it's the same for everyone, who cares? It made for a good race.
                            So what you are trying to tell us is that paper is right and Panther is swithcing to CC next year?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by aratapuss
                              Man, what an endurance race, need to work on my attention span, as I found it boring.
                              Wonder how fast the IndyCars would've run that race in. Some talk about "No Name 200s", as mentioned in an article in another thread, but man....how CAN there be an endurance race for IndyCars, lol? The Indianapolis 5,000, someday, equivalent to the way it was in 1911?
                              THIS...IS...OPEN-WHEEL!!!

                              Some people have religion. I happen to be one of them.


                              "If grown men and women wish to take such risks, that is their own business."
                              Ronald Reagan

                              "Be intolerant: because some things are just plain stupid."

                              Comment

                              Unconfigured Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X