Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not an Indy car....but this is PRETTY COOL.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not an Indy car....but this is PRETTY COOL.

http://www.bonneville400.com

The BAR F1 team is trying to see just how fast "fast" can get.

Among the first steps: Lose that rear wing....
    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

speedtv

looks like they won't get a shot this year due to rains at the flats but they practiced at a California airport and hit 257 mph
    "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
    "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
    "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I don't understand what in the world they are trying to prove here.

Take a CC, put the boost back up, add speedway wings and show these Nancy Boys what real speed in. Oh, and do it in the two seater.

Takin the wings off.... Amatures....

Comment

They are trying to see how fast a race legal F1 car can go. And yes, it is legal without the rear wing. You just would not win many races.

Comment

How about 272 mph with a 1943 International Harvester dump truck
          (slightly modified )
          http://www.ugofadini.com/phoenixstory.html
          REAL race cars have kingpins. :p

Comment

Just grab one of the old 4.0 liter IRL engines and uncork it. It would scream.

Wasn't there someone who did that last year's annual run? I seem to remember someone posting it here.
            Zoooooooooooom!

Comment

Miles was there the last time, here is what He saw. Cut & paste the address./
              aXe

http://www.indyracereports.com/2005/Articles/BARHondaAtB'villeAug.htm
              Born Again Race Fan seen at
              www.openwheelracers3.com

Comment

I agree...very

and in a twisted bit of logic, the BAR F-1 car runs the USGP, hence it is an "Indy" car.

Comment

Arie's car from 96 with the boost cranked up a little would crank out some good numbers.
                  It went almost 240 going around 4 corners.
                  I am blessed to have witnessed "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing" 50 times!

Comment

Paging Mr. Craig Breedlove? Mr. Breedlove?

Comment

Originally posted by akhindallas
                      I agree...very

and in a twisted bit of logic, the BAR F-1 car runs the USGP, hence it is an "Indy" car.
                      I guess that means NASCAR cup cars are "Indy" cars too?
                      REAL race cars have kingpins. :p

Comment

Originally posted by dirtfan
                        I guess that means NASCAR cup cars are "Indy" cars too?
                        EXACTLY!! Therefore "Indy" Car racing has just experienced a dramatic recovery and is now the most popular form of racing in the US. The IMS/IRL marketing staff needs you!

Comment

The biggest question that has been bothering me is, "Are the Bar Team using Michelin or Bridgestone tyres?"

Comment

If you were to ask Darren Manning about this he'd say:

"Amateurs, let's see them do it backwards!"

If anybody wants to see what an Indycar does at Bonneville I'm sure BB will waive testing limits to let you do it. But, I'd put some safety engine cut-off device to if the car starts to get airborne. At 250+ it may be a bit tricky keeping any car on the ground.

I'd also like to add that I don't think 400kph (~248.5mph) would be that tough for a properly geared F1 car.
                            It's impossible, that's sure. So let's start working.- Phillipe Petit

Talent borrows, Genius steals. - Pablo Picasso

Ah, there's nothing more exciting than science. You get all the fun of sitting still, being quiet, writing down numbers, paying attention... Science has it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bombardier R142
                              At 250+ it may be a bit tricky keeping any car on the ground.
                              It would be generating well over 2000lbs of downforce at that speed, even trimmed out.

The point of this BAR deal was that the car was in race legal spec, so saying you should "turn the boost up" or whatever on an Indycar is irrelevant, because that would not be in race trim. Pre-IRL, it would have been legal to take off the rear wing, so that would have been an option. The best an Indycar could do would probably be the pushrod Merc Penske with no wing. It would still be in the same ballpark as the BAR though- more power, but more drag too.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X