Ims/ Gm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ims/ Gm

With GM away from the Speedway as an engine supplier, what happens with all of the support vehicles at the races.

The saftey crew, pace cars, hsopitality etc...The pure # of vehicles I've seen in all the years at the speedway, are always brand new, and always (if I recall) GM.

If IMS has to flip the bill for all of these, it could literally be millions on it's own.

Not a doom thread, just a question or thought.

I could see Honda supplying pace cars, hospitality, but a Honda safety truck, or tow truck just seems...odd.

I've always thought the $$ the George family/ IMS invests in collateral equipment has to be staggering, I hope this part dosen't change for them.

Dizz Fan
    "There's no doubt he (Herta) spun on purpose," said Dan Wheldon, …one of the Andretti Green Racing mechanics confessed he was "ashamed" that his team resorted to those tactics.

"It's not my fault" ~ Danica

Pretty expensive pace car, but what a beaut

"Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
    ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

I dont see it changing with the "good ole boys" still running there in August. Im sure that you will continue to see pacecars, tow trucks et al remaining at IMS.
      The difference between right and wrong are as clear as night and day, but the color of justice is green. bFoOt

https://www.facebook.com/rich.miko?r...2194600&type=3

Comment

Where do I buy a IRL Safty Vehicle?? They look cool, and would be nice thing to show off around town!
        "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed. If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." - Mark Twain

Comment

All IMS vehicles are part of the deal to supply the pace car. In the old days, they were replaced every year.

Wrongly, IMHO, the IMS has stuck with GM vehicles during the IRL era. Won't buy D-C or FoMoCo, because they don't participate, and won't honor partners Honda and Toyota because of the thier "foreign" status (Toyota trucks, BTW, are made in INDIANA)

Obviously the 06 pace car and all of the accompanying other vehicles, should be Hondas.

Comment

I have to agree I think a Honda should be the 2006 Pace Car.
            Tara was the name of our cat.

Comment

Paul Woods
              IndyCar Buzz | 500 Miles to Go

Comment

How about a snake bite!!

Viper Coupe 2006
                Zoooooooooooom!

Comment

Originally posted by SamC
                  All IMS vehicles are part of the deal to supply the pace car. In the old days, they were replaced every year.

Wrongly, IMHO, the IMS has stuck with GM vehicles during the IRL era. Won't buy D-C or FoMoCo, because they don't participate, and won't honor partners Honda and Toyota because of the thier "foreign" status (Toyota trucks, BTW, are made in INDIANA)

Obviously the 06 pace car and all of the accompanying other vehicles, should be Hondas.
                  I believe my Honda was made in Ohio.
                  Eff LBD!

Comment

Originally posted by mstove
                    I believe my Honda was made in Ohio.
                    I've felt for a while now that since pretty much all the Hondas, etc. are built in the USA (Marysville, etc.) I have no problem with them as official vehicle status at Indianapolis.
                    Doctorindy.com

Comment

Do they really need all of the courtesy vehicles?

They are a nice little bit of payola to the media, but when folks like Bruce Martin go wrapping them around trees....

Comment

Courtesy program has been on it's way out anyway, so that won't be a big deal.

My understanding is these are GM's vehicles. IMS just has to give them back. The safety vehicles would be a different deal, since they are all customized for their tasks. I doubt those would be changed immediately.
                        We flipped our finger to the King of England
                        Stole our country from the Indians
                        With god on our side and guns in our hands
                        We took it for our own!

Comment

Originally posted by SamC
                          Wrongly, IMHO, the IMS has stuck with GM vehicles during the IRL era.
                          Yeah, it sucks when companies give money to support Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indy Racing League!
                          "But not all of them, Jean-Pierre. There are some who come for that, for the accidents and the fires. But the others...
                          the others ride with you all. You put something in their lives they can't put there themselves."
                          -- Louise Frederickson in Grand Prix

Comment

In 1996 the pace car was a Dodge Viper and I believe the support vehicles as well were Dodges. The cars that raced at Indy in '96 were running Fords and Menard engines. When Olds essentially became the main engine supplier for the IRL in 1997, IMS and the Indy 500 became a forum to promote GM products with the pace car and support vehicle programs. with GM leaving, I wouldn't mind seeing a variety of brands supply the pace cars and support vehicles once again. The new Mustang would be nice or the new Viper. It would do the Ford and Chrysler executives well to be hanging around the pits and garage at Indy for a month of May. It may open their eyes to what many of us already know, the Indy 500 remains the greatest race in the world!
                            Rick
                            God speed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Jones
                              In 1996 the pace car was a Dodge Viper and I believe the support vehicles as well were Dodges. The cars that raced at Indy in '96 were running Fords and Menard engines. When Olds essentially became the main engine supplier for the IRL in 1997, IMS and the Indy 500 became a forum to promote GM products with the pace car and support vehicle programs.
                              What was Davy Jones running in 96?
                              If it weren't for the United States military,
                              there'd be NO United States of America.

Your son is depriving a village some where of an 'idiot'

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X