Starting a new Vitor thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting a new Vitor thread

Because everytime we try to discuss the merits of a race car driver's talents, it get sbogged down into a xenophobic brain screw draped in a NASCAR-inferiority complex.

Vitor Meira brings street cred to the IRL because he a very talented shoe. VERY talented. He's in the ballpark with Hornish Jr., Wheldon, Castroneves, Scheckter. Meira is actually Mears-like in the talent department and was fantastic at Indy.

Back-off on the NASCAR popularity thing.

The IRL can carve it's own niche with talent from wherever in the world. Look at baseball, basketball, hockey. There's room for real racing talent in the IRL wherever it comes from.

Vitor Meira belongs in the IRL.

If I want to watch "personalities", I'll watch a sitcom. I don't need racing for that. I want to watch race car driver's race fast cars wherever they are from.

And put the Red State mentality down now. It's dangerous.

Don't really disagree with your Vitor comments. However, since I am a Hoosier, there-by a red stater, my opinion would not be worth much.
    "There is no substitute for victory." - General Douglas MacArthur

"I love long walks; especially when taken by those who annoy me."

http://www.flickr.com/photos/impact

Comment

Originally posted by Barstow Kid

The IRL can carve it's own niche with talent from wherever in the world. Look at baseball, basketball, hockey. There's room for real racing talent in the IRL wherever it comes from.

In those sports, fan root for jerseys. In racing, fans root for people. Thats where the difference is.
      Preserving America's oval track tradition:
      1.New Hampshire, 2.Charlotte, 3.Dover, 4.Disney World, 5.Las Vegas, 6.Atlanta, 7.Gateway, 8.Nazereth, 9.Phoenix, 10.Fontana, 11.Pikes Peak, 12.Michigan.

Comment

cmj.. is spot on.. The average joe will never give a crap about Vitor.. he brings nothing to the series at all.. he is a nice guy.. i met him at indy this year but he isnt even a race winner.. I cant believe these die hard race fans who actually believe someone like Vitor will bring new fans in.. Now Danica can but thats right she cant drive cause she is a girl..

Comment

I agree that Vitor has earned his place, and that there is nothing wrong with having a foregin driver like Vitor or Helio, Wheldon, etc. who are good drivers.

Where I disagree, is that Vitor is not in Mears' class. Second, I happen to hail from a Red State, and have adopted a second. I'm proud of that fact, and I think your comment is way off base.

Comment

What I think is funny is that it used to be "better dead than red." Now if your a "red" you're a republican instead of a commie.
            Randy

"Danica has earned her equipment and her opportunity. It didn't just materialize out of the air. She earned it one piece at a time, starting at 10 years old." Mark Martin

"Life does not imitate art. It imitates bad television." Unidentified TV Talking Head.

Comment

Meira is actually Mears-like in the talent
              department

HA! 'Kid, Your "Mears-like" statement is a bit of a stretch, but vitor is an alright driver stuck in a bad situation...... The best news for him would be getting the ax from the rahal/danica outfit. If he is really as good as some people think, he would, quickly, be snapped up by a top team.

For the forseeable future, any driver at Rahal/Danica Racing will just be a side show in the danica circus.......... just ask the forgotten and neglected Indy winner, bud rice....
              Last edited by mac miller; 10-23-2005, 07:37 AM.

http://indyroadsters.webs.com/
              http://macmillersgarage.webs.com/
              http://www.youtube.com/user/macmiller46241

I love any race car whose last name is "Special"

Comment

Vitor Meira brings street cred to the IRL because he a very talented shoe. VERY talented.

Maybe on Atlântica Avenue in Rio de Janeiro...

Around here, no chance.

Comment

I was with you until your last line. Put that stuff on the correct forum.

Comment

Well Rahal needs to carry his tradition of never having the same driver line up year to year,this year they added Danica,now they have to axe someone.
                    "Ninety-two years ago [the Indy 500] was probably like any other race," said 2005 winner Dan Wheldon. "But over time it's just created so many storylines and history for people of our generation that now it's just massive. People value that history and tradition and you just can't take that away."

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff
                      cmj.. is spot on.. The average joe will never give a crap about .. he brings nothing to the series at all.. he is a nice guy.. i met him at indy this year but he isnt even a race winner.. I cant believe these die hard race fans who actually believe someone like ... will bring new fans in.. Now Danica can but thats right she cant drive cause she is a girl..
                      Perfect description of the likes of Donnie Beechler...
                      -Kaaveh
                      http://www.humansofracing.com

Comment

Originally posted by cmjc80
                        In those sports, fan root for jerseys. In racing, fans root for people. Thats where the difference is.
                        I don't agree with that. Suzuki is Seattle is a perfect example. Vlade Divac in Sacramento was another. Hugely popular, win, lose, or draw. One from Asia, one from Europe. Gretzky from Canada transcended his sport. Totally disagree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff
                          cmj.. is spot on.. The average joe will never give a crap about Vitor.. he brings nothing to the series at all.. he is a nice guy.. i met him at indy this year but he isnt even a race winner.. I cant believe these die hard race fans who actually believe someone like Vitor will bring new fans in.. Now Danica can but thats right she cant drive cause she is a girl..
                          Never said he was bringing in new fans. Learn to read and comprehend.

Comment

Originally posted by Powercat
                            I agree that Vitor has earned his place, and that there is nothing wrong with having a foregin driver like Vitor or Helio, Wheldon, etc. who are good drivers.

Where I disagree, is that Vitor is not in Mears' class. Second, I happen to hail from a Red State, and have adopted a second. I'm proud of that fact, and I think your comment is way off base.
                            As a liberal Democrat from California, a decorated War Veteran, and one still serving under the leadership of a fellow liberal Democrat from the Golden (I'm sorry Blue) State and a Hispanic minority to boot, who just returned from the Middle East where he rescued some Navy SEALS who were flat about to be killed, I'll proudly defend your right to express that opinion.

Now, who's off-base?

Comment

thanks for the cheap shot..

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X