Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people have you introduced to Indy Car racing that are now fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people have you introduced to Indy Car racing that are now fans?

In 39 years of attending the Indy 500 and Indy Car/IRL racing, I can count at least 15 people who I have directly introduced to Indy Car/IRL racing that were not fans and now are. These are people that I exposed to the sport by bringing them to the tracks, helping them become aware of the subtleties as well as the obvious attributes that makes Indy Car racing thrilling to follow.
    Are you helping the fold grow? How many people have you introduced to the sport that are now fans because of the exposure that you provided them?
    Rick
    God speed!

Every year I bring a new person to their first Indy 500 for free. I've done this for about the last 10 years.
    Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

Originally posted by STAND E
      Every year I bring a new person to their first Indy 500 for free. I've done this for about the last 10 years.
      But do they stay interested? I've brought at least a dozen or more people to races and I can't think of one that became anything more than the most casual of fans and none of them ever went to a race on their own.
      "Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate."

2018 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

2018 Long Beach Grand Prix photo gallery

2017 Indianapolis 500 photo gallery

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP
        But do they stay interested? I've brought at least a dozen or more people to races and I can't think of one that became anything more than the most casual of fans and none of them ever went to a race on their own.
        Mike why do you think the people you have introduced to Indy Car racing are no more than casual fans and don't go to the races on their own?
        I always have the newbies sit next to me. I inform them about the cars, the drivers, the teams, the stories that only real race fans are in tune to, and then I am the answer guy for all of their questions. I have had some walk away as casual fans at best( I brought one couple to the 500 one year and the guy actually fell asleep sitting in prime seats in turn three during the race....he wasn't even drinking!!!), but most often they become very interested in the sport we love.
        Rick
        Last edited by Rick Jones; 10-22-2005, 08:15 AM.
        God speed!

Comment

Three that I know of. SFIndyFan, my wife & daughter.
          "But another icy Indiana winter will come and go and before we know it, springtime returns and it will be May and the roar of engines will once again breathe life into the lazy Hoosier sky and bring us back together." -- Sid Collins

Comment

Originally posted by ZenMan
            Three that I know of. SFIndyFan, my wife & daughter.
            I included my wife and two of my three kids in my list of fifteen as well. You need to cultivate race fans to a degree. My father took me to many forms of racing, living in Indy I was fortunate to be weaned at the Speedway when I was knee high. My kids were listening to the roar when they were infants and I pulled them around in a little red wagon. I'm still working on my youngest. She may eventually come around.
            Rick
            God speed!

Comment

Does working the IRL Crew and Downforce tent count? if so hundreds...
              Bonnie (aka Mom or Jewls' Mom)

Comment

Over the years, I'd say about 10-12 people. Some of them I introduced to Indy Racing in the early 90's and they still come to the 500 (and other races) every year. For the 500, we have people come from Virginia, South Carolina, Ohio, and Illinois. We may have folks from California next year.

Comment

Originally posted by IndyTrackMom
                  Does working the IRL Crew and Downforce tent count? if so hundreds...
                  I'd say a definite yes. We each have a role in promoting the series we love. It's easy to place fan growth responsibility on the IRL, and ABC, but the bottom line is if the fan base is to grow we all have a role in getting people in the seats and then in front of the tubes. Once you see a race in person what is shown on T.V. becomes more appealing and appreciated. T.V. does not do our form of racing justice. It never has. It has improved because the cars are now running closer together and the in car shots provide a great prespective, but to truely appreciate Indy Car racing you need to witness the speed in person.
                  Rick
                  God speed!

Comment

No where in your rambling incoherent response did you come close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. We are all dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Comment

In 4 races this year that I attended, I brought 6 new people to a race this year. They said that they WILL be returning.
                      The difference between right and wrong are as clear as night and day, but the color of justice is green. bFoOt

https://www.facebook.com/rich.miko?r...2194600&type=3

Comment

I have two. One is my buddy Phil and the other is my son.
                        "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

30 or more

Comment

About a dozen with 8 or so drive with me 13 hours to Texas each and every year. Now, that is hard core if you ask me. A casual fan would not drive an hour let alone 13 to go to an IRL race.
                            16th and Georgetown, the greatest place on EARTH!!!

Comment

I took my brothers to the Rex Mays 300.
                              "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                              ~~Groucho Marx
                              I have the hots for Khaleesi...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X