Indy 500 in '06!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy 500 in '06!

Okay, i am going this year. this will be my first time for the 500 (been to chi-town and Michigan every year). I don't care if i lose my fiancee', my job, or anything else. I'm going. My question to you'se guys is what is the best way to get tickets (i'm coming from chicago)? when do they go on sale? and what are the bestest seats in the house? and, any other abscure (did i spell that right?) advice you can give me!

thank you
    The River Witch by D. Paul Cooley. Available at Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/River-Witch-Pa...e=UTF8&s=books

You can order them online from IMS right now, but if you want the very best (or most popular) seats, you will need to use a broker or E-bay.

Best seats vary with the fan's opinion, but E Stand are the generally most expensive, and the Vistas are heavily favored for their panoramic views of the turns.
    There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Dan's site usually has a good selection as we get nearer to the race date:

http://www.indymotorspeedway.com/tixbbs.htm#forsale

Comment

Reasonably priced hotels south of town near I-65. Make reservations at least 90 days early and it probably wouldn't hurt to start now. Getting to the track is easy: TAKE THE BUS!! Either board near the Zoo or the RCA dome, the one at the airport can be a bit more crowded. Oh, and get to Indy plenty early to see the museum, the track, racing at IRP or the Speedrome and Carb Day.

Comment

Since you've been to Chicagoland you will probably be less than impressed with the seats at Indy. Unlike modern tracks, the best seats are not near the start/finish but in the center of the turns. Probably the best seats in the house are in turn 1 (e-stand) near where the start photo is taken where you can see all the way down the front strech and into turn 2. Remember wherever you sit to get as high up as possible. I've sat down low (row e) once and couldn't see anything as you can't see through the fencing and the walls are higher since NASCARs arrival in '93 so when the IndyCars are near the wall they are almost completely blocked. Since it is your first time I would suggest sitting in the front strech near the pre-race activities as this is one of the best parts of the 500. All spots are available in May by scalpers who are all over the place, but be prepared with a good map of the track seats and spend a day walking around the grounds and maybe a bus tour to get an idea where you want to sit. This was our biggest mistake when I first went in '91 and a less than honest scalper told us our seats were near the top of the paddock and they were only 5 rows up. Hope this helps!!
          Life's a reach, and then you jibe.

Comment

There is a good thread on the best seats, but I don't know how to link it. How do you link a thread?

Comment

I think I figured it out. Best seats for the Indy 500

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke
                Reasonably priced hotels south of town near I-65. Make reservations at least 90 days early and it probably wouldn't hurt to start now. Getting to the track is easy: TAKE THE BUS!! Either board near the Zoo or the RCA dome, the one at the airport can be a bit more crowded. Oh, and get to Indy plenty early to see the museum, the track, racing at IRP or the Speedrome and Carb Day.
                Oh boy, if that isn't biggest error of omission ever! The buses gets you to the track in a snap. Going back to the bus place and getting on a bus, let alone the right bus, after the race is a nightmare. Never trust an Alaskan.

Tickets are no longer an issue. You can find the best seats at no more than face value at any time right up to the race.

Comment

Being from Chicago, you can make a day trip down for pole day. That would give you a good chance to roam the grounds and get acclimated to the facility. Also, start your race weekend with Carb Day.

Comment

Don't you know that for your "First 500" your supposed to get drunk and miss the race. Who cares where your tickets are. Pass out at "Camp & Brew" in the Coke lot........

With all the big screens they have now (make that huge screens) you get to see action from all over the track so for your first race you may want to sit in the main straight up high to see all the pre-race stuff, pit action, etc. In future years you will probably want to move somewhere else. I've always been partial to turn 4 but that's because I've sat there for over 30 years. I'd love to sit high up in turn 1 just to say that I've done it but I'm always to cheap to buy extra tickets. You'll get a lot of advice here and most of it is good so take in everything and decide next May. Tickets won't be a problem, there are many here at TF that have them available (me included usually) so keep an eye out in May.
                    "There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt." John Adams 1826
                    Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
                    www.fairtax.org

Comment

buying on e-bay is a snap and fun!
                      you can get choice seats anywhere from 2-3 mos. ahead of time right up till raceweek, usually for face value or less
                      just don't jump the gun and settle for OK seats too quickly- check everyday and your dream seats will show up
                      I like sitting at different areas every year just for a change and w/ e-bay that works out great
                      this year I want to sit in southeast vista looking straight down short chute- never been there before!
                      "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                      "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                      "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by brickyard1911
                        Don't you know that for your "First 500" your supposed to get drunk and miss the race. Who cares where your tickets are. Pass out at "Camp & Brew" in the Coke lot........

Well...I dunno about "missing the race" but I'd suggest tix in/T4 and partying in the coke lot. Post race, break out the steaks and your backup cooler and enjoy the "emptying out the parking lot" festivities.

The gang at C&B will be sure to welcome you!!
                        ...---...

Comment

Originally posted by crispy
                          Oh boy, if that isn't biggest error of omission ever! The buses gets you to the track in a snap. Going back to the bus place and getting on a bus, let alone the right bus, after the race is a nightmare. Never trust an Alaskan.
                          I've taken the bus for years and it is slick as butter BUT I sit high in Turn 1 and I scamper to the stairs when the checkers fall. I've gone from a seat in E Penthouse to a seat on a moving bus in 15 minutes but I suppose if you sit in Turn 3 it would take a bit longer........

Comment

Hey! I can't believe all the help i've gotten. Thank you everyone for your advice. I will take it all in stride.

BTW! I would love to hear any funky 500 stories anyone has! Maybe I should start a new thread with this?
                            The River Witch by D. Paul Cooley. Available at Barnes and Noble and Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/River-Witch-Pa...e=UTF8&s=books

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X