Autonomous vehicle race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autonomous vehicle race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Will they be allowing spectators? I've been to the IMS site and it tells a lot about the race, but no mention of spectators.

Jason
    I want chicken I want liver meow mix meow mix please deliver

Yeah, it appears IMS is not selling tickets online:
    https://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa...eason-schedule

But nosing around the Indy Autonomous Challenge's own website:

This month's activity at Lucas and IMS is the culmination of a 2 year academic/R&D program
    https://www.indyautonomouschallenge.com/timeline

They've picked up sponsorship along the way, CISCO just came on a couple weeks ago as presenting sponsor:
    https://www.indyautonomouschallenge....us-challenge-1

and they have a Register For Events link:
    https://www.indyautonomouschallenge....ource=hs_email

COVID Protocol: Attendees of the Autonomous Innovation Summit and the Gasoline Alley Suites will be required to show proof of vaccination or 72-hour negative COVID test.
    CURRENT SCHEDULE OF EVENTS FOR OCTOBER 23, 2021

All times are Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
    9:00 AM - 12:30 PM: Autonomous Innovation Summit (invitation-only)

10:00 AM: Gates Open for Attendees

10:00 AM - 4:30 PM: Technology Showcase/University Fan Zones

1:30 - 4:30 PM: IAC Competition

5:00 PM: Gates Close

and

https://www.eventeny.com/events/indy...hallenge-1750/

Attendees
    $10.00 / ticket
    +$0.90 FEES
    9 days left
    Non-refundable
    Select
    CURRENT SCHEDULE OF EVENTS FOR OCTOBER 23, 2021 All times are Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) 10:00 AM: Gates Open for Attendees 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM: Technology Showcase/University Fan Zones 1:30 - 4:30 PM: Indy Autonomous Challenge Competition 5:00 PM: Gates Close

Club Level Suite
    $150.00 / ticket
    +$9.16 FEES
    9 days left
    Non-refundable
    Select
    CURRENT SCHEDULE OF EVENTS FOR OCTOBER 23, 2021 All times are Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) 10:00 AM: Gates Open for Attendees 10:00 AM - 4:30 PM: Technology Showcase/University Fan Zones 1:30 - 4:30 PM: Indy Autonomous Challenge Competition 5:00 PM: Gates Close

"Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob." - Federalist 55
    “My first reaction as a race car driver was to jump out of the car and use the Foyt technique of driver development - grab him and pound some sense into him.”
    "Make way. I'm Reaganing."

Comment

You definitely can attend, but don't expect a traditional race. Despite what many would like to believe, the technology is nowhere near that point yet. It's more of an exhibition to showcase what progress has been made by some bright young people.

Comment

It seems to me that an autonomous race... really should have autonomous spectators.
        I'll see YOU at the races!

Comment

I was talking about this with my boss and it took him a bit to understand it wasn't remote control cars.

I'm glad they are doing this and I think it will be interesting to see if they make it a series of events. Would be cool to watch the technology improve.
          I don't have a profile because I think profiling is wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Spencer View Post
            It seems to me that an autonomous race... really should have autonomous spectators.
            I pretty much do as I please despite what my other half thinks. Close enough?

Comment

Originally posted by mikesorg View Post
              I was talking about this with my boss and it took him a bit to understand it wasn't remote control cars.

I'm glad they are doing this and I think it will be interesting to see if they make it a series of events. Would be cool to watch the technology improve.
              Improving the technology will make it less entertaining, unless they install pop-up pedestrians in the track.
              Racing ain't much, but workin's nothing. Richard Tharp

Lying was a no-brainer for me. Robin Miller

"I thought they booed [Danica] because she was being a complete jerk, but then they applauded for A.J. Foyt. Now I'm just confused."

The real world sucks. Ed McCullough

Comment

Hopefully, this event will go better than this Roborace one...

BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Spencer View Post
                  Isn’t that essentially just a timing and scoring system?
                  Where are the Indy 500 winning cars? Visit -> http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post

Isn’t that essentially just a timing and scoring system?
                    Those are autonomous officials. Autonomous spectators would be drones and grandstand full of digital cameras on pivoting tripods with tracker systems programed to follow the cars.
                    "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

More info....

https://jalopnik.com/universities-wi...apo-1847880287
                      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by atrackforumfan View Post

Improving the technology will make it less entertaining, unless they install pop-up pedestrians in the track.
                        I guess but they will still be competing to win, they will still be pushing the tech and will have to take chances. Can't just make a car that will travel at 125 MPH and expect to win. I wonder how they will account for loss of grip as tires go off? Doubt they will have that variable this time as they will want to use a tire that will last the whole event, but if this actually becomes an annual thing or a series of races; they will need to put more variables in place. Have them run the road course next, have them use pit stops, refueling/new batteries. Longer races... How would these vehicles handle a flying start on a road course with a narrow first turn? How would one of these vehicles run after damage? Can it adapt if the front wing is broken? Will it immediately crash?
                        I don't have a profile because I think profiling is wrong.

Comment

Makes it interesting
                          There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Is there anybody driving the ambulance?

Comment

I want to go.
                              "Each day well lived makes every yesterday a dream of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope. Look well therefore to this one day for it, and it alone, is life"
                              ~ Sanskrit poem attributed to Kalidasa, "Salutation to the Dawn"

Brian's Wish

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X