Las Vegas - Unresolved Exclusions in Official Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Las Vegas - Unresolved Exclusions in Official Report

I gave it a year, then 5, now 10. I still feel that the official report of the Las Vegas race was satisfactory, but withheld information that was too accusatory toward specific parties, damaging to the reputation of the league, and too esoteric for the average press summary. I'm not saying there was a cover-up, but I've always felt that the final report could have and SHOULD have addressed additional painful subjects in addition to the loss of a driver. I, myself, was worried about so many cars with expendable tires, expendable chassis, and expendable bodywork for "one last hurrah" - with non-expendable drivers. I said nothing because I figured the hastily-assembled additions would fall back early or retire quickly. Sorry for the out-of-the-blue topic, but it's been something that I just cannot let go. A few pieces of reputable info have emerged since the report was released that fill-in some small gaps, but I think that a more comprehensive supplemental report should be compiled. We CAN handle the truth and be respectful at the same time. (No ghoulish stuff, please).

It was a bad idea at a track with a bad fencing design and they didn't get away with it. I don't think there's anything more to say.

Comment

Let it go.
      "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

You can get away with high speed pack racing and The Big One in stock cars.

10 years later I still hate LVMS.
        Live like Dave

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
          Let it go.
          This is worth seeing again.
          "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

There were some bad decisions made which resulted in 34 cars starting in a 1.5 mile track that is generally less unforgiving for errors than stock cars. Don't think they will be back to the Vegas oval because it brings back a lot of bad memories and bad decisions made by the league.

Comment

Sh$t happens in racing. I don’t see any reason to start pointing fingers again 10 years later. We all know what happened, learned from it, and moved on.
              "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
              "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
              "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

A lesson was learned that should never have been taught

We are lucky Will Power is still with us.

He covered a football field 20 feet in the air.

Thats an image I can't get out of my head.

HATE is not too strong a word when I hear Vegas.
                "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

If you gonna hate race track just because someone got killed there, you're gonna have a long list.
                  "Is that my *** that I smell burning?" ... Helmet Stogie from "Death spasms of the Mabuchi"

Comment

The size of the field is such a diversion from the real problem. Race control had a dozen laps of 20+ cars 2 and 3 abreast, banging wheels, and failing to disperse, during which to realize this was another step beyond previous pack races and was an accident looking for the place to happen.

Comment

On the other hand, Indycar had 'the big one' at Atlanta in 2001 and got away with minor injuries. There's a certain amount of luck involved, but ultimately racing is dangerous.
                      I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Comment

If Dan hadn’t hit that fence top first, basically everyone would’ve walked away from one of the most spectacular accidents in all of open wheel history. And the race probably would’ve finished just fine, but perhaps with a few more wrecks, just like the decades of non-injury big ones we have been watching at Talladega and Daytona in NASCAR. Yeah, a lot of us did worry about a disaster before the race started and it did happen, but it just as easily could have gone the other way. It was far from a for sure deal that someone was going to get messed up bad.
                        I was at the very first IRL race at Vegas and there were some big wrecks but everybody was just fine.
                        "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                        "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                        "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin View Post
                          If you gonna hate race track just because someone got killed there, you're gonna have a long list.

Yep. Not a sport for the weak of stomach.
                          ...---...

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Austin View Post
                            Daytona has a long, bloody history and it’s only been around for a little over 60 years. Add in the motorcycle, karts and even one boat racing death, and it goes up even more.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post

Daytona has a long, bloody history and it’s only been around for a little over 60 years. Add in the motorcycle, karts and even one boat racing death, and it goes up even more.
                              Thank God we don't race Indycars at Isle of Man.

Originally posted by cheeseczar View Post
                              Yep. Not a sport for the weak of stomach.
                              Safety has improved so much, especially in F1, that it almost takes something freak to cause a fatality. We've had one F1 weekend fatality since 1994, and no Indycar fatalities (unless I missed one) since 2010.

Now, compare to the Jackie Stewart era where they were losing roughly a quarter of the starting grid (1971) and those times were really bleak. Just take a look at the 1971 starting grid from South Africa and you can see how rough it was to stay alive then.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X