Indycar caution period lengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indycar caution period lengths

I feel like this has been discussed before, but let me ***** about it here for a minute. Why in the hell did it take 12 laps under caution to go racing again at Portland? This isn't new either, cautions at Indianapolis take forever, Texas 1 this year has 2 cautions for 29 laps (close to 35 mins!), Texas 2 had an 18 lap caution for the opening start melee which I could almost understand.... then followed it up with a 10 lap debris caution later in the race. Indy 500 had 1 caution go for 12 laps because car #25 in the pits, Gateway had a 12 lap caution and an 11 lap caution. Give me a break!

Meanwhile you compare it to Formula 1, where they have a crash, it's maybe 3 laps under a Safety car at most then right back at it. My buddy Sam has gotten into racing thanks mostly to Drive to Survive and has watched every F1 race this year, and he tuned into the Portland race. He turned it back to the NFL when after 8 laps they were still under caution.

It's absolutely ********, and ******* annoying as hell that this major racing series can't figure it's **** out. I don't care if it's a "scoring issue", buy a new damn computer then and figure your **** out. Don't have enough safety workers to clean up the mess, then hire more people, this isn't that difficult. This madness under yellows I believe is costing us some new fans who are tuning in. And it's been driving me crazy more and more, especially this year as it's been the worst in my opinion.
    RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Was the delay not related to getting cars in proper order for the restart? It can take time to shuffle cars around, and race cars drivers aren't the kind of people that will quickly give up a space unless forced to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by Baulz View Post
      Was the delay not related to getting cars in proper order for the restart? It can take time to shuffle cars around, and race cars drivers aren't the kind of people that will quickly give up a space unless forced to do so.
      We didn't used to have this problem. And quite honestly the rules for re-ordering the field are dumb. Rossi for example did not gain position so why was he penalized. Race Control it trying to control too much.
      Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

I was thinking since they did not even make it passed turn 1 when the caution came out they should have just gone back to qualifying order for the restart.

Comment

I was thinking since they did not even make it passed turn 1 when the caution came out they should have just gone back to qualifying order for the restart.
          im good with this. it would save a ton of time

Comment

Maximizing the time spent racing under the green and not under a yellow is not a priority for either Indycar or NASCAR.

As for drivers not wanting to get where they're supposed to go, just tell them they won't be scored. Problem solved.
            The Ayn Rand of Indycar

No one had to badge the Offy.

Crapping all over threads since 2000.

Comment

For all the time they spent reordering the field.....the cars that qualified 1-2-3 finished 1-2-3
              Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

That is the way it used to be. I was hoping they would do the same yesterday.

Comment

caution.jpg
                  "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Dumb question...is this determined by race control or the tv broadcast peeps? Either way the on-site spectators are getting short shrift.
                    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Perhaps they should slow down the pace speed.
                      http://tuckgraphics.com

Comment

Closed Pits at the 500 penalize the strongest racers and give a hand-out lap back to others. Tow-ins and re-firings and "debris" should only involve a maximum of 3 laps of yellow until the green flag flies again. Keep the pits open, don't "re-order" the field for light yellows, and just reset for green flag racing. Eliminating Closed Pits will cut down on caution lengths and reduce congestion on pit lane. The first 10 laps of the race should be officiated the same as the last 10 laps of the race - equal yellows for equal cautions, with the red flag being the lone exception when warranted.

Comment

A first lap that isn’t completed used to be a complete restart.
                          However….there’s still gonna be the clearing the track, reordering the field, etc. delay. At Indy that could involve adding fuel to the pit tanks depending on the length of the initial yellow so I get why they don’t do it anymore.
                          The pits shouldn’t close unless there’s an incident blocking it or requiring emergency services.
                          Drivers in the back 1/3 of the grid need to stop hanging back to get a run on the start/restart.
                          The start/restarts (when the green flys) should be determined by race control, not calling “Green” whenever the leader takes off.
                          I’m ok with any cars between the pace car and leader getting a wave around, but I’m just as ok with leaving the field as it is no matter who is the first car behind the pace car.
                          All drivers should attend a well run short track event to see how restarts should be done.
                          Needless dicking around so everyone can pit needs to go.
                          Extending a yellow for TV to get commercials in is an unavoidable evil.
                          I’m sure I’ll think of more….
                          “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
                          I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
                          I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

Originally posted by jandj View Post
                            A first lap that isn’t completed used to be a complete restart.
                            However….there’s still gonna be the clearing the track, reordering the field, etc. delay. At Indy that could involve adding fuel to the pit tanks depending on the length of the initial yellow so I get why they don’t do it anymore.
                            The pits shouldn’t close unless there’s an incident blocking it or requiring emergency services.
                            Drivers in the back 1/3 of the grid need to stop hanging back to get a run on the start/restart.
                            The start/restarts (when the green flys) should be determined by race control, not calling “Green” whenever the leader takes off.
                            I’m ok with any cars between the pace car and leader getting a wave around, but I’m just as ok with leaving the field as it is no matter who is the first car behind the pace car.
                            All drivers should attend a well run short track event to see how restarts should be done.
                            Needless dicking around so everyone can pit needs to go.
                            Extending a yellow for TV to get commercials in is an unavoidable evil.
                            I’m sure I’ll think of more….
                            I yield to the Gentleman from Virginia.
                            ...---...

Comment

Was it announced to the drivers before the race that cutting the corner at the start would have them moved back in the field regardless of why they did it?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X