2022 Schedule when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GRW1983 View Post
    So it seems the 2022 schedule will be released either next week, prior to Laguna Seca, or the week after, prior to Long Beach, according to Roger Penske.

Here's my take:

1. St.Pete - Mar 13 - season opener & date confirmed.
    2. Barber - Apr 3 - date not confirmed, but with Long Beach confirmed for the 10th (via IMSA), Easter on the 17th and Texas likely for Saturday, April 30th, then either the 3rd or 24th would be the only slots available. The problem with the 24th is that Nascar at Talladega is likely to be this date, so I'm going for Apr 3rd.
    3. Long Beach - Apr 10 - confirmed via IMSA.
    4. Texas - Apr 30 - not confirmed, but same date as 2021.
    5. Indy GP1 - May 14 - not going anywhere, same as 2021.
    6. Indy 500 - May 29 - not going anywhere, same as 2021.
    7 /8. Detroit x 2 - Jun 4/5 - confirmed via IMSA.
    9. Road America - Jun 19 - not confirmed, but same date as 2021.
    10. Mid Ohio - Jul 3 - not confirmed, but same date as 2021.
    11 Toronto - Jul 17 - not confirmed, but speculated date.
    12/13. Iowa x 2 - Jul 23/24 - confirmed by IndyCar.
    14. Nashville - Aug 7 - confirmed by track.
    15. Indy GP2 - Aug 13 - same date as 2021.
    16. Gateway - Aug 27 - 1 week later than 2021, reduces the gap between Gateway/Portland.
    17. Portland - Sep 11 - same as 2021.
    18. Laguna Seca - Sep 18 - same as 2021.

18 races - 5 Oval, 6 Street & 7 Road.
    Barber could be March 26-27, Two weeks after St Pete(Confirmed) and two weeks before Long Beach (Confirmed), rather than fighting NASCAR Talladega and Easter weekends in April.

Maybe they don't think Barber and Talladega reach the same fanbases but both races on the same day 35 miles apart on I-20 seems pretty crazy IMHO.

The Masters is also April 3-10th, which I'm a little surprised Long Beach is scheduled against since they made such a big deal about scheduling away from in years past. I can't believe Long Beach would be a Peacock only race.

Comment

• My recollection is some of the trams used at Barber say Talladega, so my guess is they rent that equipment. I doubt they would go up against Talladega. Unfortunately sometimes they have gone up against Bristol. No question my choice is Barber but it is nice years they don’t conflict so I can do both.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nigel Red5 View Post

Barber could be March 26-27, Two weeks after St Pete(Confirmed) and two weeks before Long Beach (Confirmed), rather than fighting NASCAR Talladega and Easter weekends in April.

Maybe they don't think Barber and Talladega reach the same fanbases but both races on the same day 35 miles apart on I-20 seems pretty crazy IMHO.

The Masters is also April 3-10th, which I'm a little surprised Long Beach is scheduled against since they made such a big deal about scheduling away from in years past. I can't believe Long Beach would be a Peacock only race.
        Barber has never been run in March, so more likely to be Apr 3rd. I think they would prefer the 24th, but as I said, it looks like Nascar will be on that date.

I suspect Long Beach would prefer to be April 17th, but that's Easter, so they've gone for the 10th.

Comment

• According to Marshall Pruett, Texas is being moved up to the same weekend as Sebring, making quite a few people unhappy:

https://racer.com/2021/09/14/indycar...dule-for-2022/

Comment

• Originally posted by Vic Mackey View Post
            According to Marshall Pruett, Texas is being moved up to the same weekend as Sebring, making quite a few people unhappy:

https://racer.com/2021/09/14/indycar...dule-for-2022/
            Discount doubleheader tix with a jumbo jet overnight trip to DFW?
            Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

• Nathan Brown says St. Pete will vote on whether or not to move the GP of St. Pete up a couple weeks to the end of February, the weekend after the Daytona 500.

I think this would be a good move because Daytona will put America back into a racing mood and Indycar will be there to keep the good MOJO flowing. Maybe that can move TMS up to before Sebring with that too.

https://twitter.com/By_NathanBrown/s...018161153?s=19
              Sitting president of the "Sato Forever Faithful Fanclub"

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Muffins View Post
                Nathan Brown says St. Pete will vote on whether or not to move the GP of St. Pete up a couple weeks to the end of February, the weekend after the Daytona 500.

I think this would be a good move because Daytona will put America back into a racing mood and Indycar will be there to keep the good MOJO flowing. Maybe that can move TMS up to before Sebring with that too.

On this basis, the front of the schedule might look like this:

Feb 27 St.Pete
                Mar 13 Texas
                Apr 10 Long Beach
                May 1 Barber

Two weeks between St.Pete & Texas is fine, but then 4 weeks to Long Beach would be silly. It seems the 3 weeks between Long Beach & Barber could be offset by the IMS Open Test in late-April.

My personal preference would be as follows:

Mar 13 St.Pete - leave it on the already agreed date.
                Mar 27 Texas - avoids clash with Sebring.
                Apr 10 Long Beach - two weeks after Texas, keeps things flowing.
                May 1 Barber - slightly later in schedule - gap offset with IMS Open Test in late-April.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Muffins View Post
                  Nathan Brown says St. Pete will vote on whether or not to move the GP of St. Pete up a couple weeks to the end of February, the weekend after the Daytona 500.

According to The Athletic, COTA will be March 27 for Nascar, so Texas is likely to clash with Sebring on March 20, or they could run it March 13, if St.Pete approves the Feb 27 date change on Thursday.

Comment

• A shame that accomodating NASCAR dates (Talladega, Texas, Road America...) could cause such an uneven schedule... From Feb 27 to May 14, 5 races in 12 weeks. From July 17 to August 7, 5 races in 4 weeks...

By the way, a race in Mexico would fit in nicely on the March 26-27 weekend between Texas and Long Beach... I feel Pato could draw well at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.

Comment

• Originally posted by Krogshِj View Post
                      A shame that accomodating NASCAR dates (Talladega, Texas, Road America...) could cause such an uneven schedule... From Feb 27 to May 14, 5 races in 12 weeks. From July 17 to August 7, 5 races in 4 weeks...

By the way, a race in Mexico would fit in nicely on the March 26-27 weekend between Texas and Long Beach... I feel Pato could draw well at Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez.
                      Amen, if there was a time to return to Mexico, this is the time. Hopefully they are working on this.
                      RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

• This schedule has the appearance of moving some chess pieces this year, in order to open up the door for a couple potential additions in 23.

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy499 View Post
                          This schedule has the appearance of moving some chess pieces this year, in order to open up the door for a couple potential additions in 23.
                          I agree, but if 2022 has 18 races, then IndyCar will spin the usual line of 16,17,18 races being the right amount.

At least in the past Jaye Frye has said maximum of 20 races would be good. Looking at the possible 2022 schedule, there could be some big gaps early on.

I honestly believe there are enough tracks out there to justify a 20-race IndyCar season that ran from end of Feb/start of March to mid-September latest.

IMO, there shouldn't be any bigger gap than 2-3 weeks maximum between races.

In one sense, I really hope the City Council in St.Pete REJECTS the change of date and sticks to Mar 13 - in that scenario then I would suggest this schedule to begin the season:

Mar 13 St.Pete
                          Mar 27 Texas - avoids Sebring clash, but clashes with Nascar @ COTA, but two different tracks, with two different fanbases
                          Apr 10 Long Beach
                          May 1 Barber

Biggest gap in this scenario is between Long Beach & Barber, but IMS Open Test in late-April would offset this gap to an extent.

Comment

• Laughing my buttocks off that NASCAR has one off-weekend all year long, and that meant IndyCar ended up getting more network telecasts on NBC because NASCAR is on USA every weekend. Absurd. Weird. Strange! They literally had to put IndyCar on NBC more because NASCAR's schedule is unrelenting.
                            Scott Speed was third fastest in FP2 at the 2007 French Grand Prix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Krogshِj View Post

Maybe they're waiting for Checo Perez to retire from F-1 and land in Indycar.

Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

• Originally posted by GRW1983 View Post
                                Aug 13 Indy GP2 (Sat)
                                Brickyard weekend moves to the last weekend in July. Meaning the Indy GP-2 will be Sat. July 30.

So they end up moving BY weekend back to where it was some five years ago. First it was early August, then late July, then September, then July 4th, then August again, now late July again.

"Date equity"
                                Doctorindy.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X