Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speculation: future IndyCar Series fuel partner and supplier?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: future IndyCar Series fuel partner and supplier?

As Marathon Petroleum under Speedway LLC brand contract as official fuel partner and supplier of IndyCar Series will runs out after 2021 season by 7-Eleven acquired Marathon Petroleum last May. Here are the oil and gas companies candidates to replace Speedway LLC as official fuel partner and supplier of IndyCar Series from 2022-2024 seasons:

Shell Oil Company
    Shell is the most likely becoming IndyCar Series fuel partner and supplier for 2022-2024 seasons thanks to Roger Penske's Indianapolis Motor Speedway and INDYCAR purchase in late 2019 due to Roger Penske's Shell connection in a Penske team. After Pennzoil appointed as official major lubricant supplier of IndyCar Series from 2021 season onwards, Shell will follow suit of Pennzoil in 2022.

Sunoco
    Sunoco is the 2nd fuel partner candidate if Shell fails. Sunoco ever partnered IndyCar Series in 2010-2019 seasons as official fuel supplier.

VP Racing Fuels
    VP Racing Fuels currently supplies the fuel to all IMSA-sanctioned auto racing tournaments. INDYCAR could lure VP Racing Fuels as official fuel supplier despite VPRF currently supplies the fuels to Indy Lights.

How about yours?
    Shell Oil Company
    100.00%
    Return to Sunoco
    0%
    VP Racing Fuels
    0%

Gimme a good ol fashioned brand like SINCLAIR

sinclair_oil.jpg

I don't see those as the only three options. Who says 7-11 couldn't take over in a new deal? 7-11 has a strong history in indycar with TK and Andretti. Marathon Petroleum still has thousands of Marathon branded stations. They could renew under the Marathon brand.

Comment

Is it official that our current fuel partner is leaving after this year? Could they still not re-up?

But if they don't renew, then yes it'll be Shell. I'd be shocked if it was anybody besides Shell due to Lord Penske.
      RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

Speedway is a good fit because of the name, and because, while not perfect, its footprint and the core Indy Car fan footprint overlap well.

Further, 7-11 itself has an Indy history, and, AFAIK, has not yet begun the task of actually converting the nearly 3500 Speedways to 7-11s, if it even has a plan to do so. About 40% of those were just converted from the Hess brand to Speedway a year or so before the merger.

Comment

Originally posted by SamC View Post
          Speedway is a good fit because of the name, and because, while not perfect, its footprint and the core Indy Car fan footprint overlap well.

Further, 7-11 itself has an Indy history, and, AFAIK, has not yet begun the task of actually converting the nearly 3500 Speedways to 7-11s, if it even has a plan to do so. About 40% of those were just converted from the Hess brand to Speedway a year or so before the merger.
          Everything I've heard (having an in in the c-store industry) is the opposite, the Speedway brand being kept due to it's local presence and as an alternate brand to 7-Eleven. They also kept the Stripes branding in Texas when they bought them out too. In terms of fuel pumps Speedway is the sixth largest brand in the US in terms of sheer number of fuel stations, and they are considering transitioning it into not only fuel but also EV branding. The number of pumps that 7-Eleven has combined with Speedway would make them the fourth largest, which would be around BP, Chevron, and ExxonMobil, but behind Shell and there's some speculation that Speedway would turn into some mega-brand (ie Speedway pumps with 7-Eleven stores) since people associate Speedway with fuel/lower fuel prices than other competitors and 7-Eleven with actual stores and quick-serve/food, like the Big Gulp, Slurpee, etc. Transitioning it out like BP did with Amoco in 2001 (before bringing it back) makes zero sense.

Officially, they have said any decisions on what they are doing with the branding won't start until mid-late 2022. I expect Speedway to be around next year.
          Last edited by gottastayfly; 07-22-2021, 11:42 AM.
          "Lyrically, I'm Mario Andretti on the mo-mo" - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

do indycar teams pay for fuel? imsa teams pay heavily for vp fuels.

Comment

gulf.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by gottastayfly View Post

Everything I've heard (having an in in the c-store industry) is the opposite, the Speedway brand being kept due to it's local presence and as an alternate brand to 7-Eleven. They also kept the Stripes branding in Texas when they bought them out too. In terms of fuel pumps Speedway is the sixth largest brand in the US in terms of sheer number of fuel stations, and they are considering transitioning it into not only fuel but also EV branding. The number of pumps that 7-Eleven has combined with Speedway would make them the fourth largest, which would be around BP, Chevron, and ExxonMobil, but behind Shell and there's some speculation that Speedway would turn into some mega-brand (ie Speedway pumps with 7-Eleven stores) since people associate Speedway with fuel/lower fuel prices than other competitors and 7-Eleven with actual stores and quick-serve/food, like the Big Gulp, Slurpee, etc. Transitioning it out like BP did with Amoco in 2001 (before bringing it back) makes zero sense.

Officially, they have said any decisions on what they are doing with the branding won't start until mid-late 2022. I expect Speedway to be around next year.
                7-11 was also forced by the FTC to divest itself of hundreds of Speedway locations with the purchase. It wasn't clear if that meant selling altogether or selling to franchisees that could maintain the Speedway branding. Not so long ago, all of the 7-11's in this area sold Citgo branded fuels, but the Speedways in this area are convenience stores that sell fuel, not gas stations with snacks. I can think of very few Hess stations that survived to be rebranded Speedway around here. All of the stations around here were originally Marathon and retained Marathon branding or were ExpressMarts that sold Sunoco or Mobil fuel that Marathon bought and converted to the Speedway brand. Long story short, not much Speedway brand history around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Red5 View Post

7-11 was also forced by the FTC to divest itself of hundreds of Speedway locations with the purchase. It wasn't clear if that meant selling altogether or selling to franchisees that could maintain the Speedway branding. Not so long ago, all of the 7-11's in this area sold Citgo branded fuels, but the Speedways in this area are convenience stores that sell fuel, not gas stations with snacks. I can think of very few Hess stations that survived to be rebranded Speedway around here. All of the stations around here were originally Marathon and retained Marathon branding or were ExpressMarts that sold Sunoco or Mobil fuel that Marathon bought and converted to the Speedway brand. Long story short, not much Speedway brand history around here.
                  Yeah, there’s much more history in the Midwest. I know Hess was looking to get out of retail fuel as well hence all the rebranding. I don’t think there are any Hess stations left. They do mostly exploration and drilling now.
                  "Lyrically, I'm Mario Andretti on the mo-mo" - A Tribe Called Quest

Comment

Costco Gasoline, best value in town!

Attached Files

Comment

Accelerate your life with exciting Brazilian products and services, baby. Apex-Brasil is coming back to broker Etanol Brasil as the official fuel supplier.
                      Scott Speed was third fastest in FP2 at the 2007 French Grand Prix.

Comment

Of the ones in the poll, I voted for Shell purely because of this livery. Realistically, as others have mentioned, I expect the Speedway brand to be around for a little while yet

103-0337l.jpg

Comment

My preference is something like Speedway. I think the activation opportunities for larger stores that also sell gas are much stronger than partnering with gas that can be sold at everything from a little kiosk with lottery tickets to an IHOP owned by Hermie Sadler (yes, I've gotten Shell gas at both places, thanks).

Alternatively, something like Tobacco Outlet Plus Grocery just for the absurdity of it.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.smokepipeshops.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2020%2F08%2FTobacco-Outlet-Plus-Grocery.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg
                          Scott Speed was third fastest in FP2 at the 2007 French Grand Prix.

Comment

Originally posted by gottastayfly View Post

Everything I've heard (having an in in the c-store industry) is the opposite, the Speedway brand being kept due to it's local presence and as an alternate brand to 7-Eleven.
                            A month ago, rebranded all the Tesoro stations in Alaska to Speedway. Tesoro used to be owned by Willams Petroleum and then became Andeavor who was acquired by Marathon in 2018 who then sold off Speedway in 2019. Then 7-11 bought Speedway and now I am completely confused.

Comment

Looks like this should have included Speedway.

speedway-logo-flat.png
                              There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X