Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did we lose a great opportunity - Milwaukee, Phoenix etc.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did we lose a great opportunity - Milwaukee, Phoenix etc.?

We have seen after Covid huge crowds at small local tracks in SRX and good turnouts for both Indycar and NASCAR. Its clear that there was huge hunger for events after we started open up so did we lose a great opportunity to run old ovals like Milwaukee and Phoenix and actually have them make financial sense? What can be learned and has the ship already sailed?

The big problem for Phoenix is the racing is no good with the current aero setup. The first year back when Dixon caught the last car on the lead lap and he couldn't pass him, I knew we were in trouble.

Comment

The Phoenix racing absolutely sucked, so I no longer have a desire to return after NASCAR ruined that once great track. Milwaukee however would be an absolutely perfect track and the Milwaukee Bucks proved you can get a huge sports following in Milwaukee.... but way too many issues to ever return there. Both are gone, likely forever.
      RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

Phoenix would be no good with any aero, they bastardized it trying to make it work with the taxi cabs.
        Where are the Indy 500 winning cars? Visit -> http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Milwaukee is just a mess. Even though there are many motorsports fans in the area they're just sick of all the BS that comes with The Mile. Will it be sold or not? Bad scheduling. The feeling that it's some kind of wicked step child that no one wants but at the same time no want can get rid of. All of this plus losing its date after the Indy 500 has just tired people out. Not to look down on Road America but since the road course is doing so well the want for another race in Wisconsin has died out unfortunately. There was a strong want for two races in Wisconsin a few years back but not anymore.

As people said, Phoenix didn't race well with today's cars. It was fairly processional without much action even though the speed were quick.
          "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Comment

Realistic, only Iowa, Richmond and maybe Loudon are possible and operational options for expanding schedule with short tracks.
            But Richmond and Loudon would suffer from same single groove racing like Phoenix.

Comment

Milwaukee isn't an issue with the track.. There was a report done by the state, it was scathing in the fair boards GROSS mismanagement of the track.
              Where are the Indy 500 winning cars? Visit -> http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

No.
                SRX has a unique set of attributes - starting with Saturday night races - that IndyCar, or pretty much any professional race series, isn't going to be able to match.
                “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

SRX costs are minimal compared to IndyCar. For one, you have half the number of cars, they are all built by Evernham's group, and do not have active pit crews per team. So 10-13K in attendance works well. 10-13K for an IndyCar race is a financial bath.
                  "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by Lurk View Post
                    Did we loose a great opportunity - Milwaukee, Phoenix etc.?
                    No. We did not.

Still, remember, "Loose opportunities sink...," no, wait, that's not how it goes.

Originally posted by Lurk View Post
                    We have seen after Covid huge crowds at small local tracks in SRX...
                    Which race tracks, exactly, are not "local"? Isn't "local" a relative thing?

Besides, small tracks are not the answer for a series that aspires (and needs) to be seen as a big-time, top-tier, race series.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

We have seen after Covid huge crowds at small local tracks in SRX..
                      Concur with others...SRX crowds are 'huge' only in relation to the 'small' local tracks seating capacity.
                      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

My view is the SRX crowds at Stafford/IRP/Nashville were right in line with Indycar crowds at a lot of places like Detroit (or Mid-Ohio/Barber if you back out all the Honda peeps).
                        Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

I don't see that IndyCar missed any opportunity. To have an instant reaction to more states and venues opening up would have meant having some quickly thrown together event, little promotional time at some returning venue.Granted Arizona and Wisconsin would have been ideal candidates due to being controlled by republicans. But again those tracks haven't drawn crowds. At best it would have been something with decent attendance for the initial event due to people wanting to get out to something and the number wouldn't be sustainable sliding back to what they have been.

I know people hate to hear it but NASCAR made the right call seeing the situation months in advance and adding second races in Atlanta and Darlington which had both given up that second date years earlier. The second good move they made was renting Road America and COTA because the same 40,000 people at a road course could remain distanced unlike in the grandstands at any oval track.

The SRX series is also a different animal. Nashville was the only track where the stands were really full. They had the advantage over any other series being able to run on a Saturday night which is the lowest prime time viewing audience with no other motorsports opposite on TV, they ran 6 consecutive weeks and fit perfectly into a 2 hour broadcast window. They knew what their costs were, had that CBS contract so it was a tightly run program. And they got extremely lucky to not have a single rain delay.
                          "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                          "They're criminals"
                          "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post

Concur with others...SRX crowds are 'huge' only in relation to the 'small' local tracks seating capacity.
                            And I was in attendance at Knoxville when they went there, that is obviously the sprint car capital of the world and have a lot of grandstands, but it was maybe half full at best on the front stretch and didn't even bother opening the stands over by the Museum outside of turn 2.
                            RHR: "I'm a proud American boy right now!" -2014 Indy 500 Victory Lane

Comment

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
                              My view is the SRX crowds at Stafford/IRP/Nashville were right in line with Indycar crowds at a lot of places like Detroit (or Mid-Ohio/Barber if you back out all the Honda peeps).
                              Difference is in hospitality tents and sponsorships in the hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. Detroit had that, short track doesn't.

Best chance for Milwaukee to come back would be Road America promoting it. It was looked into a few years ago. If a large sponsor came up and wanted to back Road America to promote it, it would happen.

The reality is a race takes millions to put on. There's no way to do that even with a sold out crowd at 20-40 $ a seat.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X