Too Early for 2022 Silly Season Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ay1 View Post

Both Marshall Pruett and Kevin Lee have essentially said that Kyle Kirkwood would have been in a fifth full-time Andretti car next year, but Honda had no extra engine leases available. Apparently Honda is switching everything to the developing and building the new 2.4-liter engine and will build no more new 2.2-liter engines. Both Pruett and Lee are pretty much guaranteeing that Kirkwood will be driving full-time for Andretti in 2023 in IndyCar.
    If the requisite funding is there……

then there’s the ever expanding field, and a possibility that there’s even more entries in 2023…..it’s very fluid. Time will tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeamFoyt View Post

If the requisite funding is there……

then there’s the ever expanding field, and a possibility that there’s even more entries in 2023…..it’s very fluid. Time will tell.
      It doesn't sound like funding had anything to do with what is happening in 2022. It's only that Honda could not make another engine lease available, so Kirkwood was essentially leased to Foyt for one season.

Comment

• I might be wrong, but I think he means that even if Honda has leases available in ‘23, a car still needs funding.
        I could be wrong, don’t want to put words in someone else’s mouth.
        “With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
        I still got two strong legs, even wings to fly
        I ain’t wastin’ time no more...”

Comment

• Originally posted by jandj View Post
          I might be wrong, but I think he means that even if Honda has leases available in ‘23, a car still needs funding.
          I could be wrong, don’t want to put words in someone else’s mouth.
          Yes, that’s my point. Obviously Kirkwood has some funding for 2022, part of that is RTI winnings. That’s a once and done thing.
          If there are more Honda leases available in 2023 than in 2022, any new entry vying for said leases needs requisite funding.

Yes, Kirkwood is on a 1year deal. If Foyt wants to keep him for longer they will be forced to perform. I think Larry is seeing that as good pressure forcing his team to improve.

Comment

• Don't forget team, Alex Rossi is out of contract at the end of 2022. If he has another mediocre season then I could see Kirkwood taking his seat

Comment

• Has anyone heard if Juncos and Carlin are teaming up to create one team or is Juncos just buying Carlin out and taking over their equipment and maybe even personel?
              "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Comment

• Originally posted by Hitokiri View Post
                Has anyone heard if Juncos and Carlin are teaming up to create one team or is Juncos just buying Carlin out and taking over their equipment and maybe even personel?
                They acquired Carlin's Indy Lights equipment and crew. As for IndyCar there's nothing reported as concrete yet.
                "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

• Ticktum to FE, so scratch him from list

Comment

• Originally posted by TeamFoyt View Post
                    Ticktum to FE, so scratch him from list
                    Good, hopefully a less nasty driver gets that third Foyt seat

Comment

• Look I think all seats are spoken for but ECR's 20 and IF Carlin and/or JHR put the 59 on track, which is a major if. As for ECR, given last week's notes on Daly probably only doing Indy, I guess RHR is going to eventually get announced there.
                      "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

• Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
                        Look I think all seats are spoken for but ECR's 20 and IF Carlin and/or JHR put the 59 on track, which is a major if. As for ECR, given last week's notes on Daly probably only doing Indy, I guess RHR is going to eventually get announced there.
                        I still think there is a chance of a third Foyt car full time but the chances are getting slimmer all the time. There will also be some cars that run partial schedules like the 3rd McLaren etc...

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsoupe View Post

I still think there is a chance of a third Foyt car full time but the chances are getting slimmer all the time. There will also be some cars that run partial schedules like the 3rd McLaren etc...
                          I'm a little more bullish on the third Foyt, but even that has a fairly narrow list of drivers tied to it now that Ticktum is out of consideration.

I would not be surprised if we knew the FT grid by Christmas.
                          Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

• minor Thanksgiving update

CHEVROLET - 10-12
                            Penske - 3 (Newgarden, Power, McLaughlin)
                            Foyt - 2-3 (Kirkwood, Kellett, Calderon or Aitken/?) - 3rd car possibly part-time
                            McLaren - 2 (O'Ward, Rosenqvist)
                            Carpenter - 2 (Carpenter/Hunter-Reay or Daly, VeeKay)
                            Juncos Hollinger - 1-2 (Ilott, Chilton?/Aitken?/Bourdais?) - possible 2nd involving Carlin somehow - maybe part-time
                            PART-TIME
                            McLaren - 1 (Vandoorne?/Bourdais?)
                            Top Gun -1 (Enerson) - looking to run all IMS races and some nearby
                            INDY 500 0NE-OFFS
                            Carpenter - 1 (Hunter-Reay or Daly) - #20 RC driver at Indy
                            Dreyer & Reinbold - 1-2 (Karam?, Hildebrand?)
                            Foyt - 0-1 (Bourdais?) - waiting until Foyt's FT situation gets straightened put to speculate much here
                            Paretta - 0-1 (de Silvestro)

HONDA - 15
                            Andretti - 4 (Grosjean, Herta, Rossi, DeFrancesco)
                            Ganassi - 4 (Dixon, Palou, Kanaan/Johnson, Ericsson)
                            Rahal - 3 (Rahal, Harvey, Lundgaard)
                            Coyne - 2 (Sato, Malukas)
                            Meyer-Shank - 2 (Castroneves, Pagenaud)
                            PART-TIME
                            Coyne - 0-1 (Ware?)
                            INDY 500 ONE-OFFS
                            Ganassi - 1 (Kanaan) - Johnson stays in 48 for Indy, Kanaan expected to run other ovals in 48
                            Andretti - 1 (Andretti)

CO-ENTRANTS
                            Vasser-Sullivan - 0-1 (?)
                            Cusick - 0-1 (S. Wilson) - likely Indy 500 one-off
                            Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

Comment

• I looked back and it's been a couple of weeks with no corroboration of Aitken testing for Foyt. I'm leaning toward him being more of a JHR/Carlin possibility (Nannini went to JHR for Lights, heard of a big car opening, and mentioned Aitken as someone with $?). Heck, Foyt could still be conducting the test on a car-for-hire basis if JHR isn't in possession of the Carlin ICS equipment yet.

Also, remember that Rokit is spending $1.3 M less than they were planning to sponsor the 14 and are still high on Calderon. That could get her some ICS races.

Nothing concrete here. Just a lot of putting 2 and 2 together.

CHEVROLET - 10-12
                              Penske - 3 (Newgarden, Power, McLaughlin)
                              Foyt - 2-3 (Kirkwood, Kellett, Calderon/?) - 3rd car possibly part-time
                              McLaren - 2 (O'Ward, Rosenqvist)
                              Carpenter - 2 (Carpenter/Hunter-Reay or Daly, VeeKay)
                              Juncos Hollinger - 1-2 (Ilott, Chilton?/Aitken?/Bourdais?) - possible 2nd involving Carlin somehow - maybe part-time
                              PART-TIME
                              McLaren - 1 (Vandoorne?/Bourdais?)
                              Top Gun -1 (Enerson) - looking to run all IMS races and some nearby
                              INDY 500 0NE-OFFS
                              Carpenter - 1 (Hunter-Reay or Daly) - #20 RC driver at Indy
                              Dreyer & Reinbold - 1-2 (Karam?, Hildebrand?)
                              Foyt - 0-1 (Bourdais?) - waiting until Foyt's FT situation gets straightened put to speculate much here
                              Paretta - 0-1 (de Silvestro)

HONDA - 15
                              Andretti - 4 (Grosjean, Herta, Rossi, DeFrancesco)
                              Ganassi - 4 (Dixon, Palou, Kanaan/Johnson, Ericsson)
                              Rahal - 3 (Rahal, Harvey, Lundgaard)
                              Coyne - 2 (Sato, Malukas)
                              Meyer-Shank - 2 (Castroneves, Pagenaud)
                              PART-TIME
                              Coyne - 0-1 (Ware?)
                              INDY 500 ONE-OFFS
                              Ganassi - 1 (Kanaan) - Johnson stays in 48 for Indy, Kanaan expected to run other ovals in 48
                              Andretti - 1 (Andretti)

CO-ENTRANTS
                              Vasser-Sullivan - 0-1 (?)
                              Cusick - 0-1 (S. Wilson) - likely Indy 500 one-off

Comment

• So it looks like 26 full time entries... when it could have easily been 28.

Well, isn't that curious. In that 26 is the most a couple of the tracks can handle?
                                Do I sense the series working with the engine builders to implement some sort of "control" of full time entries.. to avoid the pit stall problems?
                                A nearly pretty sure Andretti 5th poofs. Many other full time prospects suddenly become, ohh were going to run the extra car part time.

Yep, surely sounds like the series working with the engine builders to implement a full time entry cap to me.
                                Where are the Indy 500 winning cars? Visit -> http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X