Another hotel at Exhibition Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another hotel at Exhibition Place

There's likely going to be another hotel and a new entertainment venue at Exhibition Place in Toronto. It will be where the largest remaining grandstand has been at Turn 11 in recent years, along with the space that has been used as paddock area for the Canadian Nascar and Porsche series, and some of the food and merchandise stands (Thunder Alley).
    https://hondaindy.com/festival/festivalmap
    https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/...ile-157860.pdf -- Scroll down to page 9 for map.
    https://www.blogto.com/city/2021/02/...ibition-place/

The actual track layout and present pit lane will presumably be available, but finding a way to continue having the race there with the decreasing space will certainly become more difficult.
    Last edited by Sham_Poser; 02-23-2021, 09:11 AM.

Could Toronto become something like Monaco where most of the viewing location are hotel balconies,not grandstands?
    Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

I think they should probably be able find enough space to move things around to have the same number of grandstand seats.
      As with all the other races that have come and gone, the main threat to its future is the race promoter giving up if they get to a point of losing money through not being able to attract enough corporate sponsorship to pay for it.

Comment

That’s why they are bringing in Nashville.

Comment

I doubt Toronto runs at all in 2021
          "Paff has been closer to the mark than anyone will give him credit for."

Richard Kimble 11/18/2010

"Paff is far more right than any of you will EVER give him credit for.

As non politically correct and un IndyCar friendly as it is, it's the truth. "

SeeuInMay 12/29/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Paff View Post
            I doubt Toronto runs at all in 2021
            Looks pretty doubtful at this point. Today the city cancelled permits for all outdoor events up to July 1st. That doesn't include the issue crossing the border which currently has a 14 day quarantine.

Comment

I predicted this a while back, it’s wasn’t a popular opinion at the time. The cross border thing just isn’t going to happen for 2021. Hopefully this does not kill the race for good.

Comment

Where's Jonewfan isn't he our Toronto insider?

Comment

Originally posted by race chaser View Post
                  That’s why they are bringing in Nashville.
                  Is that Green-Savoree promotions running that show, too?

What a shame if Toronto’s event went away....

Comment

Originally posted by Baulz View Post
                    I predicted this a while back, it’s wasn’t a popular opinion at the time. The cross border thing just isn’t going to happen for 2021. Hopefully this does not kill the race for good.
                    Was it? Couldn't be more obvious given that the NHL had to isolate their CAD teams from USA, and the NBA and MLB are likely not playing there at all. Normally I would say Toronto is in permanent peril; however, the fact that literally NOTHING is taking place in Canada involving American-based live entertainment, I would not make that prediction.
                    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Full View Post

Is that Green-Savoree promotions running that show, too?

What a shame if Toronto’s event went away....
                      No they are not. I think comment was about IndyCar bringing in another street race, though I don't believe that to be the case. Whether Miles/Frye opt to replace Toronto this year, can't say. More likely they'd double an event up somewhere.
                      "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post

........More likely they'd double an event up somewhere.
                        Agreed, and I hope they’d take advantage of the opportunity by using Road America as their double-header, as they did last year. That worked really well, IMHO.

Comment

Here's what I know. It's NOT a hotel from everything I have seen and heard about the project. What it is actually is an entertainment complex they plan to have built by 2025. It will sit adjacent to Hotel X and wipe out where the infield paddocks and Turn 11 stands are now. It's meant to be a stadium that rivals and takes away acts that the Air Canada Centre, BMO Field and Ontario Place's Budweiser Stage get. It's to be in direct competition and from the futuristic design huge. The fact of the matter is that until they break ground it's not happening officially and could take way longer than 2025 to set up. Also and issue is the Ontario Subway Line. They're wanting to put in a stop ending at Ontario Place. Obviously, if that happens they have to dig up something. They want to link Exhibtion Go Stop and transit easier as it's a bloody mess down there. Whether they do that is another issue and with transit systems it's a believe it when you see it scenario.

An existential threat is COVID-19. Canada is more stringent with restrictions and all over the place with individual provinces. Ontario has this crazy system that nobody gets with region zones color coded that they keep rotating us out of. The biggest problem is that they'll close one area with high cases and leave another 15 minutes to 45 minutes away from the hot spot they locked down. It's a merry-go-round. Unless restrictions lift and something happens where thousands can gather or enough for the promoters and IndyCar to profit not to mention the other series on the bill the Toronto event won't happen.

The border issue is nuts too and keeps getting extended it seems monthly. You can cross to my understanding if you are a dual resident but not if you are not by land. As far as air goes anyone can come but have to at their own expense stay in one of three Toronto area hotels they pick at own expense. I believe for 14 days. Unless all of this clears by June when they start construction I just don't see any racing in Canada be it IMSA, IndyCar, Lamborghini, Super Trucks or other series on the bill. That's the reality every time they close a zone people flock to what is open 15-45 minutes away plunging that zone back a step too.

The other thing I know is that Exhibition Place and the Toronto promoters as well as all series participants have a 3 year contract with rigid dates in advance to make sure the CNE set up and events on the complex aren't disrupted. The dates I have seen on past agreements available on the Internet list those dates that aren't announced and if IndyCar or promoter has to change anything like they did with Pan Am Games in 2015 they have to go through a process with Exhibition Place. Despite what I may think of the promoters and management at IndyCar I really do want the event to come off as it's exciting and a big boom to the city financially. I think also that you have to have restaurants all come back on line and the hotel and tourism industry too or it's not worth it.

Like NASCAR, SuperCross etc etc I see IndyCar being a USA domestic series for current future. It's been much easier to get events approved there with COVID-19 restrictions a lot loser than here. I also expect that if Toronto does go ahead that they would be catering to people who held their 2020 tickets over and that would fill the grandstands. They could then profit from paddock passes and GA like St. Pete just a theory as it's already a built in clause where they can be successful with money brought over from that.

Comment

Well there is this nice natural terrain road course east of town..
                            Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Originally posted by PaddockMoose View Post
                              Well there is this nice natural terrain road course east of town..
                              Same deal as Toronto. Unless restrictions lift to have thousands of people or enough to have it profitable Indycar, the track and other series traditionally on the bill won't be able to come. There's also some belief that there's not enough run off areas and that the cars would be too fast for it. I do know that the series has had people looking at the track in the past but all it amounted to was a cursory look.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X