No announcement yet.

Bob Jenkins diagnosed with brain cancer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the public driver's meeting on the Saturday before the race, about 20 years ago, my father and I walked into the Radio Network office in the area of the Pagoda, as my dad was looking for some information about broadcast affiliates. Bob Jenkins was the only person in the office, doing some paperwork. He stopped his work to address our question and then took the time chat with us for a bit. He could not have been more cordial or accommodating, when he didn't need to be.
    I was a fan of his long before that day, but even more so, ever since.
    He does not deserve the hand he's been dealt in recent years.
    I wish him the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken-Paul View Post
      My thoughts and prayers go out to Bob for a rapid and complete recovery.

Here is a recent interview that Bob did with Doug Boles. He talks about his cancer near the end of the video at 19:14.

I seem to have some dust in my eyes...

Yee Gads I had tears!!! I'm Speechless.

Bob, I have to hear you at Indy in May!!!

Comment

Bob has a great sense of humor, that we rarely get to see on TV since he's so professional on TV.

"Hello that's not my knee"
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA_YKpTn1JA

There was also the time he was emceeing the qualifying draw the evening before Pole Day. Milka Duno came up and, wouldn't you know it, drew #69. He didn't crack a smile, but you could tell he was holding it back. I think he said something to the hecklers in the crowd "all right guys, stop"...all the while trying to stay a pro.

His interview on Dinner With Racers is really good. Such a humble guy. Just loves Indy and loves being a part of it. Selfless too...he made a point to mention that Paul Page should have been voted to the Hall of Fame before he did.
        Doctorindy.com

Comment

Best wishes to Bob for a swift and effective treatment.
          "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Best wishes to Bob to return to full health. What a great person and announcer. Bob was one of those people who just loves racing so much and it shows.
            And don't forget the heat!

Comment

My closest encounter with Bob Jenkins was at the Phoenix Airport DoubleTree the morning after the 2001 Phoenix IRL race won by Sam Hornish, Jr.

Bob was eating breakfast with Larry Rice at the next table over and I overheard him comment that he gets that Hornish seems to be a laid back guy, but that would be nice to see the winning driver show some emotion in victory lane.

Comment

Class act and genuinely a nice guy....wishing him nothing but the best in this battle!!
                KEEP POUNDIN' THE ROCK

Comment

I met Bob and his wife for the first time at one of those 11th row parties, he was the MC.
                  As luck would have it we got seated at the same table,Bob and his wife treated us like long time friends.
                  They just came off as genuine people.
                  That's how Bob has lived life, genuine.
                  It has shown through the years whether it was on Radio or TV.

Comment

Originally posted by pk500 View Post
                    It's damn hard to find a nicer, more humble guy in the INDYCAR community than Bob Jenkins. A Hall of Fame broadcaster and an even better human. I pray for him.
                    I got to hang out with him a couple times. Not a nicer man on earth.

Comment

Such terrible news for Bob, especially after his wife had that disease. Best wishes for his recovery.
                      "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

He was one of the voices of my adolescence. I mostly saw him on ESPN since I didn't listen to his 500 radio broadcasts until recently, but those are wonderful as well.

"ESPN, the worldwide leader in motorsports presents....SPEEDWORLD!"

Comment

https://racer.com/2021/02/22/miller-...speedway-icon/

Classy article from Robin Miller, worth your time to give it a quick read. One of the quotes from Bob in here that stood out to me, was when he was referring to calling races with Benny and Ned for NASCAR "I got paired with B.P. and Ned and we had such a good chemistry, just sitting around talking about the race. There wasn’t a whole lot of play-by-play or analysis, just three guys shooting the breeze at a race track" I think today's racing broadcasters could take a lesson from that.

Comment

Has anyone else listened to the Dinner with Racers podcast episode with Bob? In that episode,, Bob mentions he has a family friend living with him. Or something to that effect. I wonder if this diagnosis, unfortunately, was a long time coming and is related to that?

Here's hoping a speedy recovery for Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by aeros71 View Post
                              Has anyone else listened to the Dinner with Racers podcast episode with Bob? In that episode,, Bob mentions he has a family friend living with him. Or something to that effect. I wonder if this diagnosis, unfortunately, was a long time coming and is related to that?

Here's hoping a speedy recovery for Bob.
                              I can assure you that that wasn't the case 🙂

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X