So long, Chevy! (or, hello future)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So long, Chevy! (or, hello future)

Hard to see them promoting ICE racing if they go all-electric.

General Motors will stop producing vehicles that run on gasoline or diesel fuel over the next 14 years, replacing the fleet with all-electric cars, SUVs and light trucks, CEO Mary Barra announced Thursday.

Barra also promised the company would be net carbon-neutral by 2040, reducing the greenhouse gas pollution it produces and purchasing carbon offsets to make up for existing emissions.

The announcement, made on LinkedIn, puts a timeline onto GM's previously stated commitment to electric vehicles. Barra has often stated that the company was "all in" on an electric future.
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/general...nkId=110164588

Can't believe the series will only have 10 years to come up with a plan!

Comment

Racecars will go hydrogen.

Comment

Foolish thread title since nothing has changed at this time with their Indycar program, what an over reaction.

The majority of car manufacturers have made similar announcements already.

Comment

Originally posted by Baulz View Post
          Foolish thread title since nothing has changed at this time with their Indycar program, what an over reaction.

The majority of car manufacturers have made similar announcements already.
          Honda sells zero electric cars in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post

Honda sells zero electric cars in the US.
            I bet they will in 14 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Baulz View Post

I bet they will in 14 years.
              They probably will. Will they be all-electric? I doubt that.

Comment

Hydrogen is still the actual future imo. Electric cars will have a place, especially in densely populated areas. But range considerations, infrastructure limits, etc... mean that electric cars are only a stop gap. I just think to the power shut offs happening all the time in California over the summer and then think of the nightmare scenario of millions of people plugged into outlets trying to charge their cars. I also think people underestimate what their energy cost would be if everyone is charging an electric car somewhere. Hydrogen fuel cell gives you the flexibility and refill time of a gas powered car and the clean emissions and performance of an electric.

I also think as we get closer to that “2035” date, companies will still have issues electrifying pick up trucks and other larger vehicles. It wouldn’t shock me if “all electric” turns into “some electric, some hydrogen, rest gas-electric hybrid”.

From a racing standpoint hydrogen or staying with ethanol is probably the path forward to be “green”. I think you can actually run an internal
                combustion engine on hydrogen. BMW made a test vehicle once and it did have some issues, but maybe with sone more R and D it could work out.

Comment

They probably will. Will they be all-electric? I doubt that.
                  Why not? There is an full electronic Honda for sale here.

Comment

I can't even begin to imagine how different the automobile and racing landscape will look in 14 years. Reporting this news as "Chevy out of racing" is laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by kaputt View Post
                      Hydrogen is still the actual future imo.
                      Still some resistance to hydrogen, for some reason....

I tend to agree with you, I would think that fuel cells or hydrogen have more potential than battery electric.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post

Why not? There is an full electronic Honda for sale here.
                        Dropped in the US due to slow sales.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Remi View Post
                          I can't even begin to imagine how different the automobile and racing landscape will look in 14 years. Reporting this news as "Chevy out of racing" is laughable.
                          What did it look like 14 years ago?

Comment

I thought this was a David Land video due to the click bait title... my bad.
                            "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Comment

What did it look like 14 years ago?

Wilke, I'm not going to explain reality to you.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X