Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Indianapolis 500. May, August...or?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Indianapolis 500. May, August...or?

We're under 200 days till the green is scheduled to drop and no one in this country has been vaccinated. It's getting more difficult by the week to imagine a scenario that has 250,000+ at the 2021 Indianapolis 500.

Thankfully, as of today there are two strong vaccine candidates. According to the Moderna CEO, 20 million doses of each will be available by late-December. Is it possible that the everyone that wants to be vaccinated will be able to be by May 1st?

I think IMS has another year of difficult decisions in front of them. Do you run in May and only allow those who can prove they've been vaccinated, or postpone to later in the Summer once again?

I hope a dozen more vaccine candidates are approved for emergency usage in short order.

Hopefully someone here with more knowledge of infectious diseases will chime in.

We need more good news quick...

jp
    "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Just run the race as normal in 2021 in May. Let fans sign a waiver, accepting the fact they know the risk and let the amount of people attend who wants to. I will gladly sign a waiver to attend in person for a 99.98% survival rate virus.

Comment

If I was a betting man, I would say the two options right now are A) May with limited capacity (say 50-75%) or B) August with 100% capacity.

As of right now with vaccination still not available 'til April-ish at the earliest, I would say the latter is more likely.

Comment

Originally posted by RHR Fan Always View Post
        Just run the race as normal in 2021 in May. Let fans sign a waiver, accepting the fact they know the risk and let the amount of people attend who wants to. I will gladly sign a waiver to attend in person for a 99.98% survival rate virus.
        Survival rate isn't the only thing to consider: what about the inconvenience rate?
        Like for example the %% of ending up at hospital of worse : needing the IC unit? And lasting effects because the infection? Due to COVID19?
        Covid outdoes flue in most of all that.
        Wanna live for the rest of your live with the examples of the worst effects known? People still needing therapies & treatments monts after having survived weeks at an IC bed and wondering if they will ever have a norma live again? Yes they're alive but......

Having said that, I would go for an August date again: better chance that things can go like they did in May in the previous years than they will do in May.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post

Survival rate isn't the only thing to consider: what about the inconvenience rate?
          Like for example the %% of ending up at hospital of worse : needing the IC unit? And lasting effects because the infection? Due to COVID19?
          Wanna live for the rest of your live with the examples of the worst effects known? People still needing therapies & treatments monts after having survived weeks at an IC bed and wondering if they will ever have a norma live again? Yes they're alive but......

I was gonna add something similar to the above to the end of my post, but I didn't want to turn it into a covid discussion necessarily. But, since you started it , I guess I'll just say I concur.

Comment

I wonder how long they'd wait to move it out of May.
            "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

Not to go too off topic but what's the over/under on Supercross at LOS at the end of January? Tickets go on sale December 1. We got full refunds
              for the March 2020 cancellation but maybe I just save the effort.
              "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Comment

I attend 3 motorsports events per year - Daytona 500, Indianapolis 500 and the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix in Austin, TX. Went 1 for 3 in 2020 and never imagined I would be sitting just 90 days from the 2021 Daytona 500 and it is an almost certainty that it will be limited attendance at best. I do not see a realistic path for a full house at Indianapolis in May but I bet a large number of folks opt out (just like was going to be the case this past August). I guess we shall see. As for the USGP, nearly a full year to go so remain optimistic about that one.

Comment

Based on how things seem to be settling and adjusting in the sports world, I would expect for 2021 events will be help 'on schedule' as much as possible....and instead held with limited (or no) spectators. No more of this postponing major events (500, Derby, Masters, etc.) just to *try* to accommodate gate attendance.

Will there be 250,000 at the 500 in 2021?...I doubt it even if there is a vaccine. I don't think it will be run without spectators again though...they were able to run Harvest GP weekend with some spectators without problems. I would expect limited crowd for 2021, and it'll be 2022 or perhaps even 2023 until we see a more "normal" month of May again. But I predict it'll be back to May, full, half full, or empty.

The sports that generate the majority of their revenue from television seem to have all figured out and decided that it's best to just play the games and if need be, do it with limited/no fans. All the while taking safety measures. Trying to reschedule events so fans can attend in normal numbers is turning into a dog chasing its own tail. The goalposts keep moving every day. There's no way anyone can predict when this will be "over". They'd be wise not to get cutsie and try to out-schedule this pandemic again. Granted, IndyCar does not have the lucrative television deal others have, so live gate is still tremendously important. Being outdoors in a large area venue does help.
                  Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Indyote View Post

Having said that, I would go for an August date again: better chance that things can go like they did in May in the previous years than they will do in May.
                    Like I said, I'm willing to sign a waiver in acknowledgement of whatever risk there is in order to attend as I'm not afraid of the virus.

Comment

I think August. I don't think enough people will have access to a vaccine by late May.
                      Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, Gateway, IRP - 70

Comment

In my opinion, if there's any attendance restrictions anywhere at any point in 2022, they're likely permanent (or at least until different people are in charge of whatever city/state still has them).

The vaccine should be available to everyone by then, meaning that restrictions at that point are those in power either, in good faith, believing that public life was never safe and trying to transition to a more hermitish way of life for their state/city permanently or, less likely, drunk enough on the power that they keep things semi-locked down permanently to show who's in charge (again, this is less likely - I'd argue highly unlikely - because it would backfire MASSIVELY at the polls, to say the least).
                        Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

The Mayor of Indianapolis will never let full capacity as early as May 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn

Those people will also have to sign the waiver. It's a chance that each person must decide if they will take. Under 50, probably, over 65 probably not, in between, who knows!
                            It’s not the people at the track with you. Its all the people you come into contact with after you leave the potential super-spreader event. They aren’t signing a waver.

Comment

I sure hope they run 2021 with fansI'm not getting any younger and neither is Mr. Penske

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X