Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honda to IndyCar: Do Not Delay 2022 Engine Rules!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given that an MGU-H is driven by the turbocharger, could turbo 'capacity' (flow/boost capability) could be manipulated to allow generation electricity on a more or less continuous basis under full throttle.
    'Push to pass' could then be a combo of 'overboost' and driving a 'pancake' motor in the bellhousing/transaxle.
    Or does raising turbo 'capacity' and using it to generate just reduce the 'overboost' capability.
    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

The current F1 engines are able to generate in this way at times, but I don't think it is a continuous.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
        Given that an MGU-H is driven by the turbocharger, could turbo 'capacity' (flow/boost capability) could be manipulated to allow generation electricity on a more or less continuous basis under full throttle.
        'Push to pass' could then be a combo of 'overboost' and driving a 'pancake' motor in the bellhousing/transaxle.
        Or does raising turbo 'capacity' and using it to generate just reduce the 'overboost' capability.
        Indycar is still pretty tight lipped on the whole system but I think you've nailed it. Let me add too that being able to drive the turbine with electricity allows the gate to be open also which means a better intake to exhaust pressure ratio and a more efficient engine. It would work in reverse though. The more you have to drive with exhaust pressure the sooner you need to close the exhaust cam so as to not dilute and push back incoming air. That takes a bit of performance away. I see lots of avenues for implementation that would be quite interesting.
        I've been slow to come around to hybrids but in recent months things like this are getting me to see the true performance benefit that can be had. This sort of development does directly translate to road cars.
        One last thing Borg Warner has been working on similar things with Mercedes (not starting a rumor😁) I'd expect them to be the turbo supplier. So while the hard parts of the technology aren't new the development of implementation and associated parts would be.

Comment

Marathon Petroleum (MPC.N) has agreed to sell its Speedway gas stations in the United States to Japanese retail group Seven & i Holdings (3382.T) for $21 billion, the companies said, five months after the deal was put on hold amid the coronavirus outbreak.
          https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...source=twitter

......now, if the world was going to move to hybrids and EVs in a few years, would Speedway be worth $21 billion? How much is Circle K/Holiday worth?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post

......now, if the world was going to move to hybrids and EVs in a few years, would Speedway be worth $21 billion? How much is Circle K/Holiday worth?
            I think so. Fuel is the draw, but slurpies and big gulps are the profit center. They are known as the: convenience stores of Speedway. I don't foresee the fuel pumps going away any time soon though.

Comment

Originally posted by NIF View Post

I think so. Fuel is the draw, but slurpies and big gulps are the profit center. They are known as the: convenience stores of Speedway. I don't foresee the fuel pumps going away any time soon though.
              The state of Oregon doesn't allow you to pump your own gas. The 7-11s in that state have chosen not to have gas pumps, but there's still plenty of 7-11s around.

Comment

First, cars that require petrol will be around for a long time.

Second, when we do start switching to FCs and EVs, won't you still need places to re-fuel or re-charge? And won't a "store" become more valuable as re-fill re-fuel times get longer? And haven't the gas stations and Convenience stores tied up the most convenient locations?

Comment

Originally posted by Bullwinkle View Post

First, cars that require petrol will be around for a long time.

Second, when we do start switching to FCs and EVs, won't you still need places to re-fuel or re-charge? And won't a "store" become more valuable as re-fill re-fuel times get longer? And haven't the gas stations and Convenience stores tied up the most convenient locations?
                  The problem with that model is that EVs take hours to refuel.

Comment

Not true any more, it takes about 20 minutes for the Level 3 chargers. Soon, it will take less time.

Comment

The problem with that model is that EVs take hours to refuel.
                      For EVs to get considerably more popular, re-charging has to get more convenient and take less time. If that happens, one of the places you would want to have re-chargers available would certainly be present locations of convenience stores. Especially for people on long trips.

My point is that you can't discard the value of the convenience store locations in a transaction like the Speedway sale. That value will survive changes in technology.

Location. Location. Location.

Comment

Originally posted by AGRiculture View Post
                        Not true any more, it takes about 20 minutes for the Level 3 chargers. Soon, it will take less time.
                        Tesla says 30 minutes. How long to fill your car with gas, 3 minutes? That means you need 10 times as many pumps/chargers.

Comment

It will be more logical to place stations in most parking lots and simply do away with the gas station. You're likely to spend 40 minutes at a restaurant or your office.
                          "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Tesla says 30 minutes. How long to fill your car with gas, 3 minutes? That means you need 10 times as many pumps/chargers.
                            It's always interesting to see Tweater pics of long lines at the charging stations in Calif during holiday times. But I guess in a Tesla you can watch movies or play video games on the flat screen to pass the hours.
                            Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
                              It will be more logical to place stations in most parking lots and simply do away with the gas station. You're likely to spend 40 minutes at a restaurant or your office.
                              From my point of view (your mileage may vary) there are plenty of reasons to have re-fuel/re-charge stations where gas stations are now:

1) people know where they are and know where to find them. That is, you, as a motorist, know that they are normally at intersections of main thoroughfares, expressway exits, etc.
                              2) Gas stations are generally located where there is already a significant amount of infrastructure (see above)
                              3) The operators of gas stations have shown an ability to keep up with change (regulation changes, etc.).

I think there will be something like gas stations for a very long time. Probably though by grandson's lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post

It's always interesting to see Tweater pics of long lines at the charging stations in Calif during holiday times. But I guess in a Tesla you can watch movies or play video games on the flat screen to pass the hours.
                                This a good point, but one has to consider that many owners of EVs will install chargers for them at their homes.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X