Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

25% Attendance for Indianapolis 500 (and now, 0%)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25% Attendance for Indianapolis 500 (and now, 0%)

According to Dave Calabro, attendance will now be limited to 25% capacity for the race. Announcement soon.
    A rainy day at the track is better than a sunny day anywhere else.

Well this stinks. Guess I'm going alone at this point.
    Indianapolis 500s attended: 13
    Brickyard 400s attended: 13
    USAC/ WoO etc. races: 48

Comment

Adam Stern said the same thing on twitter.

Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

So at this point is it fair to call the race a sellout?
        Center Grove Trojans
        2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Goal posts keep moving. At this point, just run it with no fans. I'll give them credit for trying, but geez.

"Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Comment

Originally posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
            Goal posts keep moving. At this point, just run it with no fans. I'll give them credit for trying, but geez.
            Why would you do that after running a race at Iowa with fans?
            Center Grove Trojans
            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post

I’m sure this is coming from the Mayors or Governors office. Do it or lose it type of order.

Comment

https://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa...ory?startrow=1

Based on policies and procedures put into effect by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IMS officials announced today that attendance for the 104th Running of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, Aug. 23 will be approximately 25 percent of capacity. Face coverings will be required for all attendees.

Ticket sales will not be permitted after Friday, July 24, further limiting the number of people who will attend the annual spectacle at the world’s largest outdoor sports facility.

IMS has prepared a detailed, nearly 100-page plan that provides guidelines and protocols for how the race will be run this year. The plan will be released publicly Wednesday, July 22 ahead of a conference call with Speedway officials. A media advisory with details surrounding the conference call will follow shortly.
                "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

IMS statement:

Based on policies and procedures put into effect by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, IMS officials announced today that attendance for the 104th Running of the Indianapolis 500 on Sunday, Aug. 23 will be approximately 25 percent of capacity. Face coverings will be required for all attendees.

Ticket sales will not be permitted after Friday, July 24, further limiting the number of people who will attend the annual spectacle at the world’s largest outdoor sports facility.

IMS has prepared a detailed, nearly 100-page plan that provides guidelines and protocols for how the race will be run this year. The plan will be released publicly Wednesday, July 22 ahead of a conference call with Speedway officials. A media advisory with details surrounding the conference call will follow shortly.

“In June, we announced the race was on and that attendance would be limited to no more than 50 percent of capacity,” said Penske Entertainment Corp. President & CEO Mark Miles. “We also made clear we intended to do things differently this year. By offering credits to fans who had previously purchased tickets, encouraging those over 65 to stay at home, limiting attendance in the infield, reducing tickets in our suites and promising fans their decision to not attend would not impact their seniority or right to renew tickets for 2021, we now anticipate attendance at approximately 25 percent of capacity. We will welcome fans back, and we have an aggressive plan in place, which has been developed through collaboration with national, state and local health experts.”

Indy officials have made clear this year’s race will include numerous safety precautions, including the reassignment of seats to provide for greater distancing; the issuance and required use of masks, distribution of hand sanitizer to all who enter; temperature checks in order to enter; and changes throughout the facility to minimize lines and gathering spots, including limiting options from concession stands to mostly pre-packaged foods. Numerous other changes will also be in place.

“We look forward to welcoming fans back to the 500 in person. Our outdoor facility is mammoth, and with attendance of about 25 percent, it will certainly look different this year,” said Miles. “We want to demonstrate that even under current circumstances, people can gather with carefully planned procedures in place so we don’t have to go back to shutting down our country and our community.”

IMS will fulfill all ticket requests that have been received from existing customers. Those tickets will be distributed beginning the first week of August

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post

How many fans at Iowa in the stands? It looked like mostly RV's. I guess the cost for masks, concessions, staffing, etc., for 63k people in a massive facility seems like a $$ loser. BY400 makes sense because of the TV revenue.

"Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Comment

I wonder if this is a reflection of how many ticket holders chose to defer to 2021 vs. attend in 2020.
                      "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

My guess is that 25 percent is about where it was anyway after getting feedback from ticket holders on who opted in or deferred their money to 2021. When you consider that only about half of the capacity was spoken for anyway by the time the pandemic hit in March, 25 percent of capacity makes sense. In my case, we will use 33 percent of our tickets this year and the rest had their money deferred to 2021. Some of our 67 percent that opted out for 2020 were due to age or health concerns, but others because the thought of air travel right now is a nonstarter for them, and still others because they are supposed to be away at college in August.

Comment

IMS will fulfill all ticket requests that have been received from existing customers. Those tickets will be distributed beginning the first week of August
                          Okay, this is interesting.
                          Center Grove Trojans
                          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Will fans be allowed to attend practice and qualifications?
                            A rainy day at the track is better than a sunny day anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Indyfred View Post
                              Will fans be allowed to attend practice and qualifications?

The current word is yes, but everything is subject to change.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X