Non-traditional Qualifying at Road America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-traditional Qualifying at Road America

Prepping for my upcoming annual Road America adventure, I was perusing the draft daily schedule of activities. I found it interesting that both qualifying sessions (Saturday and Sunday) are referred to as Qualifying Races.

https://www.roadamerica.com/sites/ma...pdf?1593464792

Based on the timing of the next on-track session following Sunday's IndyCar quals, which are the Corvette pace laps scheduled 65-minutes after IndyCar quals are slated to begin, it does not appear to me the traditional elimination-style, Fast 6, qualifying procedure will be used.

Interesting!

Aaaaand, an update.... Cross-checking the IndyCar website, it appears the field will be split into 2 groups with each group having 12-minutes to complete their qualifying. That's it. Not sure how they'll line 'em up though.... by fastest speeds from combined session times or alternating between the finishing orders of Group 1 and Group 2. Or maybe another way I'm not thinking about.

Should be interesting.

Comment

Faster group all lines up on the inside, slower group on the outside

Comment

The weekend has been watered down that’s no doubt. Oddly all other classes will have been told to leave by Saturday. Leaving more time to complete elimination style qualifying. I’m ok without the gimmicks and will be interesting to see the 12 minute session.
        No signature required

Comment

It’s the standard format used the first few years with double headers. 12 minutes is basically 2 laps at speed if you: out lap, speed lap/ pit, then repeat.

Comment

We've known about this setup since last week.
            "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by Vic Mackey View Post
              Faster group all lines up on the inside, slower group on the outside
              Followed by twin 125-mile races?
              You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by dakinca View Post
                It’s the standard format used the first few years with double headers. 12 minutes is basically 2 laps at speed if you: out lap, speed lap/ pit, then repeat.
                Was thinking it'll be a rush and possible crowded track to get 2 run . But then remembered they can pit after a fast lap, and flying laps count as long as they past start line before clock runs out.

These sessions will go by fast either way, I would assume garunteed 12 minutes, in case of a yellow/red flag, or they would at least extend the session to allow one more flying lap in that scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by Automotive View Post
                  I’m ok without the gimmicks and will be interesting to see the 12 minute session.
                  Gives Marco less time to screw up qualifying
                  Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by BSJracing View Post

Gives Marco less time to screw up qualifying
                    Hey he got pole at Detriot 2 years ago in this format.

Comment

Yup. Thanks for the reminder on qualifying format for doubleheader weekends. It seems a precedent has been set for awhile, one which I didn't remember. Still interesting to me the schedule (on RA website) refers to the sessions as qualifying races. In my mind that conjures thoughts of a pace car leading them to green. Clearly, this is not the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Glass Half Full View Post
                        Yup. Thanks for the reminder on qualifying format for doubleheader weekends. It seems a precedent has been set for awhile, one which I didn't remember. Still interesting to me the schedule (on RA website) refers to the sessions as qualifying races. In my mind that conjures thoughts of a pace car leading them to green. Clearly, this is not the situation.
                        It's poorly worded. It should say Qualifying FOR Race 1 and Qualifying FOR race 2

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X