Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Indy 500 Ticket Holders: What option did you choose? (Or, what WILL you choose?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just did some quick math based on our numbers and other assumptions, fully knowing that it's just a ballpark estimate that might be close, but might be way off, but is still interesting to me.

Assumptions, based partly on reported facts, and based partly on our poll, rounded for easier math:
    • 240,000 normal capacity of available grandstands
    • 120,000 50% capacity
    • 180,000 tickets originally sold
    • 3/8ths of fans kept all tickets
    • 3/8ths of fans reduced tickets by half
    • 2/8ths of fans dropped all their tickets

That leaves me with:
    • 101,250 tickets kept by original buyers
    • 18,750 tickets could be made available for sale by IMS (through their currently available application process)
    Don't just insult the process. If you have a way to improve it significantly, let me know and I'll consider re-running the numbers.
    No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

I think I read somewhere that the average ticket holder has 4 tickets. If true, that would mean about 45,000 customers holding 180k tickets. So if 1/4 (or 2/8ths) dropped, you're down 135k. If 3/8 reduced by half, that's roughly -27k to 108K-ish.

At least that's how I cypher...
      "If you go, you can either win or not win. If you don't go for it, you definitely won't win." Jens Voigt

Comment

Originally posted by Racewknd View Post
        I think I read somewhere that the average ticket holder has 4 tickets. If true, that would mean about 45,000 customers holding 180k tickets. So if 1/4 (or 2/8ths) dropped, you're down 135k. If 3/8 reduced by half, that's roughly -27k to 108K-ish.

At least that's how I cypher...
        3/8ths of 180k is 67,500, and keeping half of those tickets drops it by 33,750, in addition to the 45,000 tickets given up completely.

But you were in the same ballpark as my result, certainly close enough given the number of assumptions, and it's good to have another opinion.
        No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Credit applied. I just renewed my cancelled tickets for 2021. IMS sent me a link to renew in an email. I am impressed with the way they are handling this.

.... and a follow up email within 5 minutes

We've Received Your RENEWAL WITH CHANGE REQUEST.

Comment

My family has 6 tickets and are requesting to keep 4.
            My wife said to give up her ticket and our extra ticket.
            My parents, brother and son all want to go.
            I will be working so no ticket needed.

Comment

I just renewed for 3 for next May using my credit
              I want chicken I want liver meow mix meow mix please deliver

Comment

I called the ticket office.. 9:00 AM this morning, was on hold
                a little over eighteen minutes... I think that's was pretty quick to
                connect to one of the ticket office employees.
                I requested the "refund choice" for my Indy GP ticket as soon
                the announcement "no fans" for the race... it was processed and
                e-mailed June 5 that the refund would be deposited in five to seven
                business days... so it's sixteen business days, and I was somewhat concerned.
                I think I got a auto generated e-mail as being processed... [email protected] via bounce.exacttarget.com
                with that notice. So anyway he said that was likely to soon for e-mail to
                have be sent, and the refund will be deposited soon. I just want to warn
                others what may happen, if they request a refund.
                Being a senior age fan for the Indy 500, my choice is defer to the 2021 race.
                When I renewed for 2020 I added a pair of practice day and a qualification day
                tickets. I was told those are good only in 2020. I do "Will Call" to receive my
                ticket order and ask if the ticket office is open he said no...so I've chosen
                digital delivery for the practice and qualification day ticketing...
                ask if digital delivery would be available for 2021 he didn't know yet.

Comment

Per Robin Miller’s latest article on Racer.com, he quotes Doug Boles indicating there are only about 50,000 repeat tickets sold. He also indicated that the average ticket holder owns 4-5 seats. So, that means about 10,000 people owning 50,000 seats ( unless I misread the article ).

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post
                    Sidebar question for those who reduced their allotment of tickets:

Did you reduce because fewer of you want to attend? Or did you reduce because you didn't want to risk being moved to less desirable sections?
                    The latter.

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post
                      Sidebar question for those who reduced their allotment of tickets:

Did you reduce because fewer of you want to attend? Or did you reduce because you didn't want to risk being moved to less desirable sections?
                      I didn't want to get moved and I don't want to make the ticket office workers' jobs any harder than they already are. I get 20 tickets each year so this year I will only get 10. Our contingent includes several cousins from Illinois who told me they can sell 5 extras if I had them so demand was certainly not the motivation.

Sentimental side note: Mom bought the tickets for decades and each year she kept a copy of the letter she sent to the ticket office workers thanking them for their hard work. She was truly appreciative of all they do and since I took over the ticket buying duties I have come to understand why she felt that way.
                      Center Grove Trojans
                      2008 5A Football State Champs
                      2015 6A Football State Champs
                      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy99 View Post
                        Per Robin Miller’s latest article on Racer.com, he quotes Doug Boles indicating there are only about 50,000 repeat tickets sold. He also indicated that the average ticket holder owns 4-5 seats. So, that means about 10,000 people owning 50,000 seats ( unless I misread the article ).
                        I think he's saying there are "about 50,000" account holders with a average between 4 and 5 tickets, so somewhere over 200,000 tickets allotted. If that's true, I'll need to update my math.

Miller:

But there are not as many Indy 500 ticket holders as people might imagine.

“The average ticket holder has between four and five seats, so that puts the number at about 50,000,” responded IMS president Doug Boles when asked about a number."
                        I'm sure that "50,000" and "number" refer to the "ticket holders" from the previous paragraph.

Comment

Updating based on ~200,000 tickets sold per the RM article, and slightly different poll numbers:
                          • 240,000 normal capacity of available grandstands
                          • 120,000 50% capacity
                          • 200,000 tickets originally sold
                          • 37.4% of fans kept all tickets
                          • 35.2% of fans reduced tickets by half
                          • 27.5% of fans dropped all their tickets

That leaves me with:
                          • 109,890 tickets kept by original buyers
                          • 10,110 tickets could be made available for sale by IMS (through their currently available application process)
                          Based on this math, about 45% of all tickets would be returned to IMS for a credit.

Comment

My Dad and brother have joined my son and I for several years now. We sit in Paddock, row AA, on an end. Aside from Dad turning 75 this year, and travels from PA, we deferred and will take the credit for 2021. We are going to try and watch the race together over the Internet (Zoom or whatever), to keep our yearly tradition somewhat intact. Stay safe everyone!

Comment

I've heard somewhere that 175,000 tickets were sold and that seems about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Wilke View Post
                                I've heard somewhere that 175,000 tickets were sold and that seems about right.
                                That was reported a few months ago, but now Boles is saying it's higher. I'm sure sales were hurt by the pandemic, but after he said it would be run with only with fans, you'd think that quite a few additional tickets were sold.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X