Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy 500 Seating: What’s the Plan?

If no restrictions, then no question.
    But if the August race will be run with some form of social-distancing, how in the world will it work?
    Who gets in and why? Who gets told they can’t sit in their paid-for seats, maybe seats they’ve had for decades?
    For example, Turn 3 Turn sections. Always sold out or nearly so, packed tight. If they create space between fans sitting there that means somebody has to go. Who?
    How do they space out seats in the Penthouse or any other section. A lottery?
    Sorry if this has been addressed already but I didn’t see it in a quick check of posts.

This problem has no solution.

Comment

If IMS allowed full advance refunds without loss of seniority or future purchase of the same seats, you'd think some people would volunteer to return their tickets instead of sitting in a packed crowd. Even some people not concerned about infection might not be able to attend in August for a variety of reasons. Then IMS could choose not to re-sell those seats this year to allow people to be more spread out.

That would solve some of the problem. They could even announce that IMS would not be liable for any illness as a result, since a full refund is available in advance.

Let the people choose for themselves whether to be part of a large crowd. I would go to a packed house, but there are certain demos that would have a more difficult decision.
      No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

The current state plan has all restrictions lifted as of July 4th.

Comment

I have top row seats in B Stand that took me decades to get. That said, I will sit wherever they want me to sit this year. I understand the challenges they face trying to sort out the logistics. If I'm in the track I'll enjoy the experience. If I can't get in because of a lottery or something similar then I'll watch from home and wait for '21.
          "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post
            Let the people choose for themselves whether to be part of a large crowd. I would go to a packed house, but there are certain demos that would have a more difficult decision.
            Just watched "1984" (again) a few days ago, and, wassa mattuh wit' you?

Doncha know govement knows best? Why should you make decisions for yourself when the guv knows better? Waddaya think, this is the USA or sumpin'?

20% more chocolate and we should all be so sasisfied.......
            "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

Just watched "1984" a few days ago, and, wassa mattuh wit' you?

Doncha know govement knows best? Why should you make decisions for yourself when the guv knows better? Waddaya think, this is the USA or sumpin'?

20% more chocolate and we should all be so satisfied.......

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087803...f_=tt_ql_trv_4
              "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

Originally posted by jimclark View Post

Just watched "1984" a few days ago, and, wassa mattuh wit' you?

20% more chocolate and we should all be so satisfied.......

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087803...f_=tt_ql_trv_4
                I didnt see you at the Two Minutes Hate last night.

I reported you as an agent of Goldstein.

See you at Room 101.
                Live like Dave

Comment

I suspect no more than half of paid ticket holders show up. There is your social distancing.
                  Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, Gateway, IRP - 63

Comment

I look at this the same way I did when I went to the first post 500 after 9/11..... I take my chances... back then some terrorist coulda belly flopped a passenger plane down the front stretch on race day taking out thousands.. if I was gonna die at the race I’m gonna die. If you’re scared- stay home!
                    Have attended: Indy 500 (34), Belle Island (3), Kentucky (4), St Pete (3), Homestead (1), Texas (2) Michigan (5), Cleveland (3), Iowa (4), Chicagoland (5), IRP (2), Eldora (3)...

Comment

I’m growing more optimistic by the day, but it’s almost impossible to see a scenario where Indiana has reached Phase 3 and Social Distancing is gone in the next 60 days.

I think the first thing that will happen is voluntary refunds for all people who don’t want to go.

From there you need to find out how many people who want to go only want to go if they have their seats.

That lets you know how many seats and stands you need to open and staff and you space parties out by 6 feet.

Then you queue everyone up outside, have the police or National Guard enforce social distancing out there, and get them to the seats.

Once the the race is over you dismiss people row by row until stands are empty.

How you manage bathrooms and concessions is a whole other issue. Going to need to adopt an Augusta National mentality and toss out and permantley ban them from the facility for anyone screwing up.

Then you pray that you don’t turn Indiana into Italy or Spain.

Comment

Originally posted by damilt View Post
                        if I was gonna die at the race I’m gonna die.
                        Hard to argue with that line of reasoning.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

I would go to a packed house...
                          That's because you've said you believe that everyone has already been infected with the virus.

...but there are certain demos that would have a more difficult decision.
                          If, as you've said, everyone has already had the virus, why should that be a difficult decision for people in those "certain demos?"

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by Muskie4041 View Post
                            I’m growing more optimistic by the day, but it’s almost impossible to see a scenario where Indiana has reached Phase 3 and Social Distancing is gone in the next 60 days.
                            Not only is it possible, I see it as highly likely that we will reach Phase 3 by late August. Social distancing -- well, that's a bit more nebulous of a concept and harder to pin to a certain date.

I think the first thing that will happen is voluntary refunds for all people who don’t want to go.
                            Now we're talking. See my earlier post.

Once the the race is over you dismiss people row by row until stands are empty.
                            There's no way this is feasible.

Originally posted by Since83 View Post
                            I suspect no more than half of paid ticket holders show up. There is your social distancing.
                            I'd guess more like 75% to 90%.Things will be very different three months from now.
                            No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

It is a certainty that things will be different in three months. In what ways, none of us really know. Especially those that have been wrong since day one, yet keep popping up to tell us all how much they know. You know nothing. Zip it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X