Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with ESPN's IRL Coverage (not RPM2Nite)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with ESPN's IRL Coverage (not RPM2Nite)

Going through the ESPN TV Listings for the next couple months and a few things jumped out at me.
    Firstly, the lack of Qualifying shows. I know I went over this before and I won't repeat it but this definelty a missed opportunity for IRL exposrue, namely the drivers. The excuse Jask Arute told me was that ABC/ESPN wanted to put more into the race broadcasts. I could believe that is the time slots were longer, but they are not! we will be lucky just to get a winner interview again. Seems the only thing ABC has added to the broadcasts this year is more announcers!
    Hopefully the daily reports at Indy and Pole/Bump will not be effected.

Secondly, no race re-broadcasts this year. It was nice to know that if you somehow missed an event or if your VCR screwed up that you could get the race again later in the week. I know this is not across the board because the CTS is having re-broadcasts.

I am really beginning to quesiton ABC/ESPN's level of commitment to the IRL. When ESPN had all four series (IRL,CART, WC,NHRA) there was certainly more coverage, the was qualifiyng and for WC even Happy Hour. I can't understand the reduction in coverage. With only two of those series gone, the costs certainly have gone down. There are less number of announcers to shuttle and places to send them. How can ABC say they are upping their commitment to the IRL but reduce the coverage?

I would rather have qualifying than the IRL2Day show, it ususally is on too far in advacne of the race to watch. If it was on 30 min before the race it would be a nice lead in, but to have it at Noon (in the caase of the Phoenix 4 PM race) in some instances doesn't make sense.

I do not expect ESPN to have numerous shows about the IRL, but decent race weekend coverage is expected to be of qualifying & the race broadcast, this standard was set by themselves, not the fans.

I am happy and give ESPN credit for the Pit Pass show, but I would gladly swap it for qualifying or even have qualifying replace the IRL2Day show.

I wonder if TG realizes how much the IRL coverage has been reduced this year? And I have made my commments known to all I could: Fred Nation, Jack Arute, JohnK, and ABC sports. Unfortunately, I think it all fell on deaf ears.

"I am really beginning to question ABC/ESPN's level of commitment to the IRL."

Truer words have never been spoken.

Tony, Fred...time to wake these people up. Their recent behavior is inexcusable. If ESPN is supposed to be a 'partner,' it's like having a 'partner' that's similar to being stuck in a bad marriage with a beeatch from h3ll who's having an affair with a fat Canadian, and openly flaunting it. Your day in divorce court cannot arrive quickly enough.

The only consolation is that at least we can expect ratings for races.

I'm going to suggest that Howard Katz go to Bristol and begin firing some more of the cantankerous, clueless malcontents making these haphazard decisions.

Say what you want about Troyron, but they'll have all critical events (like qualifying) on television, even if just Railbird, me and about 12 other people will be the only ones watching.

Comment

So there's no qualifying on ESPN or the Duece this year?

That ain't good. Even the replays at 12:30 on the Duece were better than nothing.

What's the story?
      "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

This month's issue of Racer shows the IRL qualifying as being broadcast at 1:30 am on 03/02.

I guess this has changed???

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dironstarr:

"I would rather have qualifying than the IRL2Day show,"

For the casual fan (who we really need to pitch), the IRL2Day show is probably more interesting that watching just one car drone around. The league needs shows like that to get the driver's faces out there and get some good name recognition going. Since the IRL is a little low on superstars, this is an opportunity to create some.

We still need qualifying for the hardcores.
          I'm dead now.

Comment

Does anyone know whatthe actual story is?

Is qualifying coverage eliminated or is that just speculation?

Where is the Arute commentary on quals being eliminated that was mentioned?
            "Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and your going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down." -- Edward Blume

Comment

When ESPN took on NASCAR, it had nothing more than a regional audience, and a few other racing hardcores watching. I believe ESPN had a big hand it making NASCAR what it is today.
              I was hoping that ESPN would attempt to do the same with the IRL, take it to the next level. I'm still somewhat hopeful of that, but I'm starting to see that all ABC wanted was May and the rest of the schedule is just tolerable for them to get the rights to May.
              I hope that I'm wrong, but I'm not as hopeful as I was when the deal was announced.
              I always try to be the eternal optimist.
              Have a very blessed day!

Comment

Originally posted by mattndallas:
                <STRONG>So there's no qualifying on ESPN or the Duece this year?

That ain't good.</STRONG>
                IRL qualifying (Indy 500 excluded) is like watching paint dry. It ain't good TV.
                "The problem with internet quotes and statistics is that often times, they're wrongfully believed to be real." - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

As long as the races are on national TV on a channel that the majority of America gets, I'll be happy. The rest is just icing on the cake and will come when the IRL snowball starts to really grow.
                  All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

Originally posted by PHJIndy:
                    <STRONG>When ESPN took on NASCAR, it had nothing more than a regional audience, and a few other racing hardcores watching. I believe ESPN had a big hand it making NASCAR what it is today.
                    I was hoping that ESPN would attempt to do the same with the IRL, take it to the next level. </STRONG>
                    How long has "Indy Car racing" been shown on ABC/ESPN/ESPN2?
                    DVR . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Comment

"I believe ESPN had a big hand it making NASCAR what it is today."

I agree, but I think it was mutual. Nascar hadn't really penetrated many markets outside of the southeast and ESPN didn't have a lot of live programing available.

They needed each other.
                      "Living well is the best revenge"

George Herbert

Comment

Change every referance from the IRL to CART and you will find years of this horse being beaten. ABC/ESPN could care less about the IRL. They only want the 500 because it brings in real rating numbers. Sad but true. The excuse with CART was that it was a time buy. What is the excuse now Mickey ?

On a positive note, Mr "They go faster sliding in the grass" is gone from the booth this year

Comment

Don't you guys think that ABC understands that the more popular the IRL becomes the more important May becomes?

So suggest that they're only in it for May is ludicrous. They've made an investment and they've got to make the investment work. But to suggest that the network suddenly drop everything and become the IRLBC is nuts.

The thing we've all got to understand is that this is a numbers game. If the IRL can generate bigger, better numbers, more exposure will come its way. And the numbers will not come in a qualifying show, but the race...
                          Griz In Indy

Comment

Originally posted by Griz:
                            <STRONG>The thing we've all got to understand is that this is a numbers game. If the IRL can generate bigger, better numbers, more exposure will come its way. And the numbers will not come in a qualifying show, but the race...</STRONG>
                            They had quals on last year.

So we're seeing increased exposure this year by the dropping of the quals coverage?

Has the fact that quals are gonna be dropped been formally announced? Have we already talked about it? I was out of country for 2 weeks in Jan and may have missed something. Are we definately not going to see IRL quals this year?

Comment

Originally posted by IndyRob:
                              <STRONG>As long as the races are on national TV on a channel that the majority of America gets, I'll be happy.</STRONG>
                              I'm not. I wish I could see qualifying and more IRL related shows during "normal" hours. The IRL will get the shaft from ABC/ESPN.

I'm glad I have a dish and will be watching CART and F1 practice, qualifying, and race replays on Sunday night and in other prime time slots. I wish the IRL could get a similar deal for the non-race coverage.

Think of the IRL as a glacier - not a snow ball. Things might change but not very fast.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X