Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indy 500 on Aug 23

Check your news
    "We are all speeding toward our deaths at 60 minutes an hour." Sid Collins on Race Day, 1964

https://covid19.ims.com/

INDIANAPOLIS, Thursday, March 26, 2020 – The Indianapolis 500 Presented by Gainbridge has been rescheduled for Sunday, Aug. 23 due to the COVID-19 pandemic, officials from INDYCAR and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway (IMS) announced today. The 104th edition of “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” will air live on NBC, with the official green flag time to be announced at a later date.

The GMR Grand Prix will transition to Saturday, July 4 on the IMS road course as part of a historic double-header featuring the NTT INDYCAR SERIES and NASCAR. This first-of-its-kind racing event also will be televised by NBC on Independence Day.

Comment

I don't get why they didn't select a Saturday so that then Sunday gives you a rain date.
      I'm gonna wiggle it at 'em, you cheap [email protected]@rd. Be prepared, because when I yank it out, everybody in that audience except my wife is gonna be runnin' for the exits.

Comment

Better than no race at all

Comment

Hope they’re able to maintain that.

Could be hot!!

Comment

It was 93 one year not too long ago. We can do this. It'll kill leftover CV.
            "The Internet. Where fools go to feel important" - Sir Charles Barkley

Comment

https://racer.com/2020/03/26/indy-50...der-on-july-4/

Mid-Ohio 200 is now August 7-9

Gateway is now (per Racer) August 30, which is a Sunday not a Saturday.

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1243229774694285315

Adam Stern suggests a season finale may now be back to St. Pete.
              "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

I'll be honest, I was one in February who thought, "I don't think it will be that bad."

Well it IS that bad. I was wrong.

Seeing as how the NHL and NBA probably won't crown a champion, MLB is looking at an 80-game season, and even football may be delayed, I am beyond grateful that we will have an Indianapolis 500 in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by MS View Post
                  I am beyond grateful that we will have an Indianapolis 500 in 2020.
                  Don't be so sure on that. The crisis needs to abate first.
                  Indy, Cleveland, Mid-Ohio, Pocono, Michigan, Long Beach, Watkins Glen, Kentucky, Milwaukee, Road America, Iowa, Gateway, IRP - 63

Comment

I just received a text about moving the race, though I wasn't given a date. Let's hope there is a race and many other events in the world.

Comment

I mentioned in the other thread I had a hunch August was going to be the time. Based on what they've published, here's the tentative schedule. This is coming off of Mid-Ohio on Sunday the 9th

Wed Aug 12 - Practice
                      Thu Aug 13 - Practice
                      Fri Aug 14 - Fast Friday
                      Sat Aug 15 - Time Trials
                      Sun Aug 16 - Time Trials
                      Fri Aug 21 - Carb Day
                      Sat Aug 22 - Legends Day
                      Sun Aug 23 - Race Day

The article mentioned pit practice on Monday, but not the Post-Qualifying Practice that we're accustomed to.
                      The Indy Lights Freedom 100 is a go for Carb Day as well.

At this moment, NASCAR Dover is also scheduled for 8/23. NASCAR hasn't done their schedule revamping yet (if they end up doing it at all). NASCAR will have a race that day, we'll see if it stays Dover. Daytona (the 400) is supposed to be the weekend after all this (8/29)

Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by MS View Post
                        Seeing as how the NHL and NBA probably won't crown a champion, MLB is looking at an 80-game season, and even football may be delayed, I am beyond grateful that we will have an Indianapolis 500 in 2020.
                        Even these plans are tentative, as the virus could come back in the fall though I expect IndyCar will be long over by then. Also, I have to imagine the Belle Isle races remain in jeopardy, but one thing at a time for Roger.
                        "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

my guess is that they kept Bell Isle as the opener because if need be, they will run that minus fans.
                          All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post

Even these plans are tentative, as the virus could come back in the fall though I expect IndyCar will be long over by then.
                            I was wondering if the incessant negativity would flow into this thread too. Actually I never had any doubt.
                            Center Grove Trojans
                            2008 5A Football State Champs
                            2015 6A Football State Champs
                            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Premature decision based on undue panic.

I know you can't wait and postpone at the last minute, but it's still two months out. There's no way to say now that things won't be roughly back to normal by mid-May.

That doesn't mean things WILL be back to normal. But they might be. There's no reason not to wait a little longer, unless you're falling prey to worst-case scenarios.
                              No weather forecasts are ever guaranteed, even if confidence level is high. Even a 99% probability will miss 1% of the time. That's the best anybody can do when predicting highly complex events.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X