Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speculation: 2020 Indy 500 at risk from COVID-19?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation: 2020 Indy 500 at risk from COVID-19?

No article to cite or anything to that effect, because the speculation is purely in my head right now. With the Indy 500 now 85 days away there is ample time for the virus to spread, but it seems unlikely that the US would react in a way similar to China in shutting down everything for weeks. That being said, it is a systemic risk to this year's running of the race of course. A large event like the 500 could bring the virus to thousands of people due to just one person with the virus with or without symptoms.

By the way, where is our traditional countdown thread this year?
    Last edited by Cornys; 02-29-2020, 02:09 PM.

More likely 2020 Olympics in Japan at risk.

Comment

"Insert event here" is at risk.

Probably posting the same photos with descending car numbers after a couple of years ran its course.
      It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Originally posted by Cornys View Post
        No article to cite or anything to that effect, because the speculation is purely in my head right now. With the Indy 500 now 85 days away there is ample time for the virus to spread, but it seems unlikely that the US would react in a way similar to China in shutting down everything for weeks. That being said, it is a systemic risk to this year's running of the race of course. A large event like the 500 could bring the virus to thousands of people due to just one person with the virus with or without symptoms.
        No mention of Basketball,Baseball,Hockey,Concerts,Workplace, it's an endless list that could drive a sane person nuts.

Comment

There is precisely a snowball's chance in Hell that the 500 will be cancelled. End of story.
          GO DANICA!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Round Robin View Post
            There is precisely a snowball's chance in Hell that the 500 will be cancelled. End of story.
            Your are correct.

How many of these third world (yes, much of China is still third world) panics do we have to go through before Americans wise up? Every so many years the cable channels (and now social media) scare the hell out of everyone about the coming doomsday virus whether its ebola, SARS, swine flu, Hong Kong flu, bird flu or now the coronavirus.

There are any number of infectious diseases in the United States at this very moment that are many times more deadly than Covid-19.

The 500 Mile Race and the entire IndyCar series will run as scheduled.

Comment

Could happen...Too early to tell?

Well probably would not know for another few weeks, April at least.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post

Your are correct.

How many of these third world (yes, much of China is still third world) panics do we have to go through before Americans wise up? Every so many years the cable channels (and now social media) scare the hell out of everyone about the coming doomsday virus whether its ebola, SARS, swine flu, Hong Kong flu, bird flu or now the coronavirus.

There are any number of infectious diseases in the United States at this very moment that are many times more deadly than Covid-19.

Correct.
                And, for crying out loud, The Race is 3 months away.
                "We are all speeding toward our deaths at 60 minutes an hour." Sid Collins on Race Day, 1964

Comment

No.

Comment

The prediction is that when temperatures rise, the contamination level will drop.
                    However it is fair to mention, since a lot of events are currently discussing if they are allowed to happen.
                    I've read that in France the govt has decided to ban all events with over 5k visitors.
                    In my own country of NL there are 7 known cases, however..... not too many have been tested.

F1 will probably also drop Vietnam next to china, and i think its sensible.
                    Look the risk for people over 50 is substantially different than of children or people below 50 with healthy eating habits.
                    Is the 500 audience below 50 and eating healthy?

The temperatures will probably decide the most, if there are some warm weeks running up to spring, that could help a lot.

Comment

Perhaps 33 cars spewing exhaust at 220 into turn 1 on race day will keep the virus away?
                      http://tuckgraphics.com

Comment

But, then again, there was this flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html

==

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
                          But, then again, there was this flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html

==
                          It is estimated that about 500 million people or one-third of the world’s population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million worldwide with about 675,000 occurring in the United States.
                          Center Grove Trojans
                          2008 5A Football State Champs
                          2015 6A Football State Champs
                          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

The reality is the Indy 500 is mostly a domestic event attended by locals and people commuting from parts of the USA. Doubt it will be affected considering its held at the end of May, when the temperatures are much higher than now.

Comment

Originally posted by indyrjc View Post

Your are correct.

I'll be honest, the way I hear people talking about sports cancellations on the west coast, I don't hold out a ton of hope the LBGP gets run.

Agreed on the rest of the schedule.
                              Some fans claim one series or another runs "real race cars." What's everybody else running, fake race cars? :confused:

INDYCAR - NOW IZODIER THAN EVER!

my blog ... I'm not a big fat woodchuck, I'm THE big fat woodchuck.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X