Predict AeroScreen Effect on Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predict AeroScreen Effect on Racing

Will the aeroscreen have a tangible efffect on the racing? The 2012-2017 era was arguably the best racing in Indycar history.

Will having a bulbous clear shield punch a bigger hole in the air thus minimizing the wake behind the car?

Will we get back to slingshot passing and entertaining racing at Indy?

What about on the road and street courses?

Originally posted by RahalsMustache View Post
    Will the aeroscreen have a tangible efffect on the racing? The 2012-2017 era was arguably the best racing in Indycar history.
    That would depend upon who's doing the arguing.

Will having a bulbous clear shield punch a bigger hole in the air thus minimizing the wake behind the car?
    First, how much of an increase in frontal area, if any, is created by the aero screen? Second, if, in fact, it does, "punch a bigger hole in the air," why would that minimize the wake behind the car?

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Considering you claimed - wrongly - that there wouldn't be enough aeroscreens for the test at COTA this week, you'll excuse me if I don't take this thread at face value.
      “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Yesterday a number of rookies (and some vets) tested at Texas and it seems as though there were no complaints about the aeroscreen and how it performed or affected the driving/racing.

https://www.indycar.com/News/2020/02/02-14-Texas-test

Newgarden even said he think the racing at Texas will be much like how it was last year.
        "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Comment

I think Fratty is so hung up on the thing that he can't help himself with starting these threads.
          RIP Justin! WWJCD

Comment

Will the aeroscreen have a tangible efffect on the racing? ...........................................?

What about on the road and street courses?
            We'll have to wait and see but you might see a whole lot more "bravery" type moves; particularly on the road/street courses late in the race. You could possibly end up with more crashes and torn up equipment similar to what happened to sprint cars years ago when roll cages became the norm.

Before the roll cages there were sometimes entire USAC sprint seasons where there might be just a half dozen cars get upside down. Now you can often see that many flips in a single night of racing.

Those kind of crashes in Indy racing could end up being a lot more expensive for the teams.

Like I said we'll just have to wait and see what happens over the next season or two.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X