Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Translate 45 HP Increase to the pole speed

Will we see 234 if weather cooperates??

It's going to depend on what a 50lb aeroscreen addition does to the base speed they already had.
    Delta Force Theme... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQUeQOIlcDM You're Welcome

Comment

To have a unit of measure, what was the boost added the past few years?

Comment

https://www.indycar.com/Fan-Info/IND...Specifications

Maximum Boost Pressure (above atmosphere): 1300 mbar (Superspeedways); 1400 mbar (Indianapolis 500 qualifying); 1500 mbar (short ovals, Road/Street Courses); 1650 mbar (Push-To-Pass)

Power: Estimated 550-700 horsepower, depending on turbo boost pressure used at track

The 100 kPA boost for qualifying was about 40HP, so around 590HP. My sense is that the boost will likely be around the 150 kPA they increased short ovals to last year, and what RC have been all along. In other words, it's essentially the "regular boost" we see sans PTP all season.

Now speeds will greatly depend on the weather of course, as it was not good for speed last year. However, the 130 kPA no-tow fastest was high 224 last year, while the 140 kPA no-tow fastest was low 230, all prior to qualifying. Traditionally we see some bigger speeds if the temperature is right though. A conservative estimation for say 150 kPA I'd think is 233-235 range. However, the aeroscreen, between the weight and the drag, will slow the cars down several MPH I'm sure. I'd say that the boost, in the right conditions, will still be short of the record, probably still low 230s.
        "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

There's still a question if the 45 hp boost added for qualifying is really just a 5 hp boost over last year when they added a 40 hp boost.

I doubt if they are now getting an 85 hp boost over the race setup, but I may be wrong. I haven't found a clear answer to the question yet.
          "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
          "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
          "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

Fair point but I doubt Roger would take the time to mention it in a presser if it were only a 5 hp increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
              There's still a question if the 45 hp boost added for qualifying is really just a 5 hp boost over last year when they added a 40 hp boost.

I doubt if they are now getting an 85 hp boost over the race setup, but I may be wrong. I haven't found a clear answer to the question yet.
              https://racer.com/2020/02/14/power-b...ifying-speeds/

Comment

Marshall needs to correct his article. He writes "Teams race with 18.9psi of boost (130kPa) fed to their Borg-Warner turbos, and for most of the 2.2-liter twin-turbo V6 era." Well, the 18.9psi is not "boost" it's actually manifold pressure. On a standard sea level day of 14.69 psia, the actual boost would be 4.21 psi. And then his statement that the boost is "fed" to their Borg-Warner turbos is another glaring error. Actually the Borg Warner turbos FEED the engine with the boosted pressure. I thought Marshall was a race engineer sometime in his past.

Comment

My question if it is indeed a 45hp boost plus the 40hp boost last year, could this lead to engine failures. Or is needed hp to pull that big obstruction down the straight. PS love the look of the windscreen from the side , not so much from the front.
                  Last edited by raschu75; 02-14-2020, 08:13 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Spike will clarify what it all means.

I don't know when.

But he will.
                    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Unzerdog View Post
                      Spike will clarify what it all means.

I don't know when.

But he will.

Comment

Pretty sure the press release states 45 additional to the 40. So 85 more. Like I said it will be about what they run on all other tracks but Texas.
                        "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
                          Pretty sure the press release states 45 additional to the 40. So 85 more. Like I said it will be about what they run on all other tracks but Texas.
                          Yep, the link above states that it is 85 more. Apparently Marshall saw that people were confused and wrote the article to make it clear. Great journalism!
                          "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
                          "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
                          "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

I haven't read your link yet but I must tip my hat to you for your username, your photo, and your quote beneath your photo.

Well done.
                            Center Grove Trojans
                            2008 5A Football State Champs
                            2015 6A Football State Champs
                            2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                            2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Sounds like, again from MP's article, that the extra HP will merely offset the weight/drag from the aeroscreen. Now I guess the change in center of gravity and drag could make the cars a little better in the corners? Overall, you're probably looking at a very slight increase in speeds. The Luyendyk mark remains safe.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X