Lights may be coming to IMS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lights may be coming to IMS

Lights going up anytime soon. Don't know how much he knows, but you never know

Supposed to be an announcement tomorrow at 11am. Reading between the lines, it sounds like perhaps the Brickyard 400 on the road course - or at least the Infinity race.
    I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Comment

The Lights have been racing in the Freedom 100 for several decades now. Scheeeese!!
      "Charging a man with murder here was like handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500."- Capt. Willard, Apocolypse Now
      "Ain't nuthin' like [being with a woman], 'cept maybe the Indy 500."- Bunny, Platoon
      "To alcohol! The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems."- Homer J. Simpson

Comment

They have an 8 hour World Challenge race in October this year.

Comment

I would go to a WEC or IMSA weekend if that happened.

It reminds me of Wrigley Field getting lights finally when I was a kid. I don't think it will take away from the speedway, just allow more options for them.
          Round and round they go, no one knows who will win... that's one of the biggest thrills of the sport. <><

Comment

Qualifying at night would be cool.
            "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

As long there is not too much light. Just over the pits would be good enough.

Comment

Miles mentioned in one of the recent articles that the first changes will be cosmetic, with major renovations beginning after the Brickyard this year. I was wondering if the major renovation would be lights. Guess we will find out eventually.

Comment

Can't comment on Donohue unless a bird is part of his source. I just don't see lights being enough of a game changer for attendance to offset the expense of the lights. Nor an endurance race being much of a draw to produce a profit. Does the track make money on the Brickyard weekend? Then dropping it means less revenue and where's the upside in that? And as I've said before the Brickyard 400 becoming a road race just frees up a weekend for me. Mostly I don't see lights being the first move Penske would authorize in his stewardship. Has there been a neighborhood meeting to see how the surrounding community feels? That was always something the HG administration and Doug Boles mentioned and I doubt the first thing Penske does is risk alienating the community around the track.
                  "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                  "They're criminals"
                  "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by tb View Post
                    They have an 8 hour World Challenge race in October this year.
                    Of note, the Indy round (Oct 2-4) is a non-points combined International GT/Gt World Challenge US event. Will be interesting to see the entry.
                    The Indianapolis Intercontinental GT Challenge Powered by Pirelli round is now a voluntary, post-season event for GT World Challenge America teams.

“Even with the Indy 8 Hours as a non-points event, we have great interest from our paddock to participate in the Intercontinental GT Challenge endurance race.”
                    BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by brad.nky View Post
                      I would go to a WEC or IMSA weekend if that happened.

It reminds me of Wrigley Field getting lights finally when I was a kid. I don't think it will take away from the speedway, just allow more options for them.
                      I'm wondering (and hoping) that the addition of lights might increase chances of getting the race in when the weather isn't great. Fans travel from across the country and across the world to come to the 500 and it can get dicey when you have a flight to catch or a job to get back to. I know I've felt the pressure over the years. I've been lucky that I have not missed a checkered flag since I started going in 1983, but there have been years where a delay to Monday would have not worked well for me.
                      Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Aren’t there noise regulations to content with?
                        It could render lights useless if the cars can’t run.
                        I’ll get excited later.

Comment

I don't think the Town of Speedway probably had anything beyond a handshake agreement with the Hulman/George family about "let's not have night races." They sure didn't stop them from allowing all night parties in Coke Lot and North 40 over the years. I think the real reason TG didn't install lights is because the price tag had gotten up into the $20 million range.

I think with Penske, everything is on the table.
                          Doctorindy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Z28 View Post
                            Can't comment on Donohue unless a bird is part of his source. I just don't see lights being enough of a game changer for attendance .
                            Maybe a game changer for TV. Move the Indy 500 to Saturday night, gives you two days for rainouts and a potentially bigger audience.

Hell, really roll the dice and have the race on Friday Night.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick500 View Post
                              The Lights have been racing in the Freedom 100 for several decades now. Scheeeese!!

When I saw the thread title, I had a few moments of similar confusion before I realized what it meant.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X