500 Race Day parking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 Race Day parking question

Something different this year found us getting seats in C Stand.... usually we are farther down toward Turn 1 and park in a yard on 16th St, but these new seats make me think it's better to aim for the NW part of the track. Has anyone had any luck getting a yard spot up on, say W 22nd St? Near the Elementary school? looks like the wait to get funneled onto 465 wouldn't be horrific if we could fins something up there. Any advice or help is much appreciated, thanks in advance....

Park at the High School. Paved lot - they don't double park you. It's cheap and it goes to a good cause.

Getting out usually isn't too bad, they route you west on 25th then North on Moller where you get backed up a little to make a left on 38th to get on 465.

parking in the neighborhood is a dice roll whether you will be allowed to turn left (south) onto Lynhurst to Crawfordsville to 465 or whether you'll be forced North onto the same route as the High School.

Comment

Our group sits in Turn One and we always park in the Coke Lot. To me, the long walk to the race in the morning and after the race later on is a big part of the fun of Indy. Granted we're all fairly young and in decent shape, but the people-watching is off the hook. I'm sure not all share my opinion, especially in extreme heat or bad rain. We tailgate for an hour or so after the race and watch traffic crawl. It's a great opportunity to debrief and share stories (since we don't all sit together).

Of course, none of this may work for you.
      "The track will choose who's going to win."

Tony Kanaan

Comment

Originally posted by jp View Post
        Our group sits in Turn One and we always park in the Coke Lot. To me, the long walk to the race in the morning and after the race later on is a big part of the fun of Indy. Granted we're all fairly young and in decent shape, but the people-watching is off the hook. I'm sure not all share my opinion, especially in extreme heat or bad rain. We tailgate for an hour or so after the race and watch traffic crawl. It's a great opportunity to debrief and share stories (since we don't all sit together).

In my younger days I would be out there with you tailgating afterwards for awhile or so But the last few years have found me really wanting to just avoid the race day heat. We do enjoy walking in early and watching the sun come up and the parade of bands, the parade of Snake Pit attendees, etc... lol Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

I have great memories of people watching while walking to and from the track. Now I aim for the shortest walk.
          Center Grove Trojans
          2008 5A Football State Champs
          2015 6A Football State Champs
          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post

I have great memories of people watching while walking to and from the track. Now I aim for the shortest walk.
            That’s why I go for a Main Gate Lot pass.
            Can’t get any closer to the south end than that.
            I’m there shortly after they open at 5, stroll down to Charlie Browns for breakfast and ease into the day.
            Afterwards wait until after the winning driver takes his celebratory lap then go into the garage area for awhile then back to the car.
            By then it’s not too bad getting on 16th out.
            With one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a Rebel.

Comment

I also park in the Main Gate but can't get the Speedway to sell me a pass so I have to buy them on Ebay. I used to be able to get them for about $60 from local scalpers but it was over $100 each of the last two years.

Oh, and I quit watching the victory lap. Calabro has sufficiently ruined that.
              Center Grove Trojans
              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Don't see those 'Show Us Your Boobs' signs any more.

First year I went, we stayed at a hotel west of the track, overnighted after the race before flying home the next day.

I walked into the hotel bar and I heard, 'I saw the sign, did you see any boobs?' 'Yeah, I saw 3.' '3?' 'Yeah, a pair and then a left one.'

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post

Same here. We used to park for free in the neighborhood northwest of Lynhurst and 25th. Then my sister in law got a job with a company that had a suite, and we parked inside near Turn 1(she schmoozed clients in the suite) But her company didn't renew their lease for last year and we parked as close as we could and paid someone $30-40 to park in their yard.

Comment

I only went once(2018) so I don't know that I have any good advice, but for an out of towner who is unfamiliar with the area, parking at the airport and taking a shuttle in and out worked perfectly. It costs a little extra when you're paying for 2, but this is an occasion where I'm not looking for the cheapest way out(which I am notorious for lol)

That was going to be my plan for this year but it looks like I won't be able to make it after all.

Comment

This will be my 41st Race...….I finally found the best parking. (and Camping)
                      El-Lou Mobile Home Park
                      Georgetown Road behind Turn 1 Grandstands
                      Closest Parking to Main Gate (Even closer than Main Gate Parking) for $40
                      They have restrooms (not porta potties), Ice, and showers.
                      Great tailgating afterwards as well.
                      South on Georgetown Road to Turn 1 Main Gate or come in backside through Lot 2 off Auburn
                      Both exits open after race

Comment

We park about a mile from the track and then walk in. You can generally find people selling parking: individual yards, churches, and so on. We park at a church and they have restrooms and serve coffee, juice, donuts, and so on in the morning. We get there relatively early, but then it's just pulling some chairs out of the car and relaxing until it's time to walk in. The walk out after the race isn't bad. We end up sitting out by our cars again to wait for the traffic to clear out, but always nice to relax in the shade, crack a beer, and digest the race.
                        Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

We camp in the Coke Lot so I definitely recommend parking near there too. And I agree about people watching coming and going from the track
                          RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

"It's a discussion board, not a society ball." ~Skypigeon

Comment

Originally posted by Chris A View Post
                            Has anyone had any luck getting a yard spot up on, say W 22nd St? Near the Elementary school? looks like the wait to get funneled onto 465 wouldn't be horrific if we could fins something up there. Any advice or help is much appreciated, thanks in advance....
                            I live at the corner of W 22nd & Auburn about 3 blocks west of Stand C. Last year my yard was filled up by 8:30 or so. The cops will usually direct traffic right down W 22nd towards the track. There are plenty of yards, key is just getting there early enough.

Comment

I parked just west of the track a couple years ago when we were in Stand B. Getting in was great. Getting out sucked big time. Sat so long on the street that the guys in the car next to us literally fell asleep...driver included.
                              Center Grove Trojans
                              2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X