Simona!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RS2 View Post
    What's the topic. I have not read the thread.
    Donnie Beechler.
    "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

• Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post

- Eight of the ten 2020 Formula One teams are based within a two-hour drive of the Silverstone Circuit in central England. Ferrari is in Italy and Alfa Romeo is in Switzerland. By anyone's definition, 8 out of 10 - or 80% - is "the bulk".
      Maybe 6 1/2...

STR is based in Italy.
      Renault is split between the UK and France.

And, regarding this thread, you’ve made no comment about #118...

Comment

What's the topic. I have not read the thread.
        It stated with Simona DiSilvestro, grew into a larger conversation about opportunities for women in motorsports, then somehow turned into another conversation about Americans not being considered for Formula One.
        “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

• Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post

Maybe 6 1/2...

STR is based in Italy.

SAT is split between Faenza, Italy and Bicester, England.

According my browser, #118 is my comment. https://www.trackforum.org/forum/mot...50#post6581650

And again, none of this has anything to do with the topic at hand. Before this tangent, we were talking about opportunities for women in motorsport.

Comment

It stated with Simona DiSilvestro, grew into a larger conversation about opportunities for women in motorsports, then somehow turned into another conversation about Americans not being considered for Formula One.
            Danke.

Comment

- Eight of the ten 2020 Formula One teams are based within a two-hour drive of the Silverstone Circuit in central England. Ferrari is in Italy and Alfa Romeo is in Switzerland. By anyone's definition, 8 out of 10 - or 80% - is "the bulk".
              Torro Rosso is in Italy. Haas is in North Carolina.Renault is split between England and and France.
              Technically, 55% is a bare majority (though certainly not a "bulky" one), but it's way better than IndyCar - which is relevant because if their IndyCar results are being used to claim F1 teams were mistaken in passing over those US drivers, IndyCar needs to meet the same criteria you applied to F1.

What Europe is is the place you need to be if you want to be considered for a seat in Formula One
              You claimed F1 wasn't truly international, since most of the drivers are from Europe. I pointed out that even if all the drivers were from Europe, it would still be international. If you want to argue that it's easier for European drivers to get into F1, then make that argument instead of confusing the issue by conflating international diversity, "magic" and "best of the best".

While growing up in Europe helps to some degree, significant number of successful Latin American's in F1 undercuts that argument. It has more to do with access to wealth - and strong local interest in F1 and open-wheel road racing. The latter is the most plausible reason that few US drivers have succeeded in F1.

By my count, the non-European drivers are Albon, Latifi, Perez, Ricciardo, and Stroll
              You missed Kvyat (Russian).

- I don't think anyone has ever claimed that IndyCar is - or is trying to be - an international series.
              (Actually, plenty of people have claimed exactly that, but it isn't the point.)
              The point is, you introduced an international litmus test as a measure of F1's ... something (to be honest, I'm not sure what your point was). I just pointed out IndyCar does a lot worse than F1 according to your criteria.

Rossi had barely enough funding to put together a few starts for arguably the worst team on the grid at the time. Neither Newgarden nor Herta ever had the backing to get on anyone's radar.
              Other drivers started out in underfunded backmarker teams, but showed enough to get a place in better teams. That argument would also have more validity had Rossi dominated any of the F1 ladder series, but he didn't.

Same applies to Newgarden, whose Euro results were underwhelming.

Bottom line - it's about wealth, not geography. Entry to motorsport is biased in favor of rich kids. Hamilton and Ocon are the only F1 drivers not from rich families. It's the same for IndyCar.

And I'm still not sure what any of this has to to with opportunities for women in motorsport, apart from avoiding the topic.
              It doesn't - but if you have an issue with that, maybe you should take it up with the person who went off-topic in the first place? Like you, I just replied to an existing OT post.

It also has nothing to do with whether winning IndyCar races proves that Rossi, et al, are better drivers than, say, Nico Hulkenberg (who just lost his seat). Or Latifi. Or Kvyat. Or Perez. Or Albon. Or Russel. Or Norris.
              Last edited by neti1; 12-17-2019, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Danke.
                Bitte schön. Glad I could save you the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by neti1 View Post
                  Torro Rosso is in Italy. Haas is in the US.
                  SAT splits time between Italy and England, Haas between North Carolina and England.

Comment

• Originally posted by flatlander_48 View Post

Maybe 6 1/2...

STR is based in Italy.

5 1/2. Haas is based in North Carolina, near Charlotte.

Comment

IndyCar's version of Godwin's Law .

Comment

SAT splits time between Italy and England, Haas between North Carolina and England.
                        My Google search found no references to any UK facility for Haas.

Torro Rosso rents testing time at a wind-tunnel in the UK, but all management, design, construction and other testing takes place in Italy. On that basis, Williams and McLaren are split between England and Germany, since that's where they've been doing their wind-tunnel testing. Which would mean only 50% of F1 teams are in England!

Comment

Torro Rosso does wind-tunnel testing in the UK. All design and testing takes place in Italy. On that basis, Williams and McLaren are split between England and Germany, since that's where they've been doing their wind-tunnel testing. Which would mean only 50% of F1 teams are in England.

My Google search found no references to any UK facility for Haas.
                          Haas lists job openings in both Italy and UK, as well as US.

https://www.haasf1team.com/careers-consented
                          BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jakester View Post

Haas lists job openings in both Italy and UK, as well as US.

https://www.haasf1team.com/careers-consented
                            Interesting - I assume the Italian one is at the Dallara facility.

Looks like the UK facility is a company (Haas Automation Ltd) that has been providing computer controlled manufacturing services since 1987. Presumably it also provides services to Haas F1.
                            https://www.haas.co.uk/about-haas/our-history/

How did you find it, by the way? I'm always looking for ways to improve my Googling technique.

Comment

Interesting - I assume the Italian one is at the Dallara facility.

Looks like the UK facility is a company (Haas Automation Ltd) that has been providing computer controlled manufacturing services since 1987. Presumably it also provides services to Haas F1.
                              https://www.haas.co.uk/about-haas/our-history/

How did you find it, by the way? I'm always looking for ways to improve my Googling technique.
                              I Googled "Haas F1 team headquarters UK" and came up with info of their Wikipedia page that indicates that their headquarters in in Kannapolis, NC, but that they have a second base of operations in Banbury, Oxfordshire

Comment

According my browser, #118 is my comment. https://www.trackforum.org/forum/mot...50#post6581650
                                No, #118 is my post. Your link takes you to #121...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X