Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage
    replied
    Simona was a untiring user of exclamation points in her tweets, so the title actually doesn't have enough!!!!

Leave a comment:

• mdkiel
    replied
    Maybe we should've held off on the exclamation points until there was a real offer on the table.

Leave a comment:

• Tree0404
    replied
    Simona splitting with Ed makes sense.

A full-time Simona ride doesn't make a ton of sense. Ovals are not her forte. One career top 10 finish. Four career lead-lap finishes - three at Indy - where if you are still running, its hard NOT to be on the lead lap.

Leave a comment:

• Sweaty Teddy
    replied
    Originally posted by CouchPilot View Post
    I’d love to have Simona back. Katherine Legge also. But I don’t see this happening.
    Legge at least tested with the W Series earlier this fall, which I thought was odd given her prior experience. At least she's open to future open-wheel opportunities.

Leave a comment:

• Proveapoint
    replied
    I personally like Simona a lot, and would love for her to be back. She showed serious guts around her hands, and kept her head up with some of the lower quality drives in the series (See: Porkchop, HVM, Lotus...). As a parent of girls, I love that she doesn't sell her gender, and is just a driver.

She falls in a category of drivers that has existed since the start of time: Not bad drivers that are undeserving of a ride, but not top tier drivers. (I think of folks like Servia, Carter, Tags, Boesel, Meira, or Johanssen). I personally would love to have a whole slew of those drivers in the field- they can be big on the right day. I'd rather have those folks than mobile chicanes.

Leave a comment:

• nascarnation
    replied
    Originally posted by damilt View Post
    Pruett says one Indycar team looking at her
    Cue up the old Contours (J. Geils cover) "First I look at the purse"

Leave a comment:

• Elusive1
    replied
    Would love to see Simona back in IndyCar. She's another Sarah Fisher but a Swiss version.

Leave a comment:

• rrrr
    replied
    Originally posted by debdrake View Post

Maybe Veekay wants a full season ride? Ed splitting a ride with Simona might be the best thing for both of them.

I'll say... Roger is no dummy, I'm sure he recognizes the publicity value of a female in the series, especially when Nascar doesn't have one.
    This illustrates the general issue I have with drivers and teams subsidized by IMS, and female drivers in particular. "Hav[ing] one" is deemed more important than skill level. Should Penske also purchase drivers of certain race, ethnicity, or physical attributes for publicity?

Of course, there are several drivers in IndyCar that are there because of the money they bring, but that's a different discussion.

I suppose some people see value in having a female driver in a pink car because she pats children on the head, signs autographs, and advances a social construct. Me, not so much.

Leave a comment:

• gnome
    replied
    Originally posted by debdrake View Post

Maybe Veekay wants a full season ride? Ed splitting a ride with Simona might be the best thing for both of them.

I'll say... Roger is no dummy, I'm sure he recognizes the publicity value of a female in the series, especially when Nascar doesn't have one.
    That's what my thoughts were too

Leave a comment:

• CouchPilot
    replied
    Originally posted by cheeseczar View Post

No worries. I like the noise, the smells, and the looks of today's cars. FE (to me) sound like slot cars.
    To me they sound like dental drills. Which to me ain't good.

Leave a comment:

• cheeseczar
    replied
    Originally posted by jimclark View Post
    I meant your "though I don't know why".......not FE....

No worries. I like the noise, the smells, and the looks of today's cars. FE (to me) sound like slot cars.

Leave a comment:

• Hitokiri
    replied
    I'd love to see her back over here. Formula E seems exceedingly popular (though I don't know why...) so she might stay put and
    look for a seat in that series. Too bad. Her 2nd at Houston and her qualifying with the burned hands at Indianapolis were epic efforts in my estimation.
    I think the attraction of the series is the fact that there's so much going on. The number of manufacturers, teams, and the variety of drivers in the series is attractive. There's also rumors that ALL of the seats in Formula E are paid seats. In other words there are no pay drivers and drivers don't have to bring money in order to drive. This is why when it was reported that Felix Rosenqvist would join Indycar instead of staying in Formula E - some questioned this move. I think Robin Miller even suggested that Felix might have take a pay cut to join Indycar.

Leave a comment:

• jimclark
    replied
    I meant your "though I don't know why".......not FE....

Leave a comment:

• cheeseczar
    replied
    Good for you!

Leave a comment:

• jimclark
    replied
    Formula E seems exceedingly popular (though I don't know why...)
    I liiikes it!

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X