Simona!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
    The barriers to entry are also a lot lower in drag racing, where you only need the following:

1. A car
    2. A track

to compete.
    If you are going to be that elemental about it you could say the same about every other form of racing.

Yes there is a little bit more involved, but not really.
    Yes, really.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
      If you are going to be that elemental about it you could say the same about every other form of racing.
      But not really.

For drag racing you can take your street car - whatever it is, go to your local track, and as long as it passes a very basic tech inspection (as in, is it not leaking fluids, the wheels securely fastened to the car, as is the battery) you can compete. If your car is slow enough, you don't need a helmet or any safety gear beyond long pants and closed-toe shoe . You don't even need to attend a safety briefing or a driver's meeting, and you don't have to work a flagging station or chase cones. Yes, the quicker and faster you go the more rules there are and the more involved it becomes, but the biggest barrier to entry is your distance from a track.

Name a type of auto racing that has a lower barrier to entry.
      “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

What you're doing here is comparing a street car....to a top fuel funny car.

Thats like comparing a go kart....to an Indycar. I guess you can roll with that.
        2012 Races: St.Pete, Indianapolis and THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
        2013 Races: Indianapolis and Indyfest 2013
        2014 Races: Popped the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014
        2015 Race: ABC Supply Wisconsin 250
        2016 Races: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 and Road America!

Comment

Originally posted by Mearsfan53081 View Post
          What you're doing here is comparing a street car....to a top fuel funny car.

Thats like comparing a go kart....to an Indycar. I guess you can roll with that.
          Me or Spike?

Because I'm talking about barrier to entry into the sport, not barrier to entry into Top Fuel. There is a reason drag racing is #1 in terms of participation. And the low barrier to entry compared to other motorsports, combined with the fact that women have been permitted to compete in drag racing for decades more than other forms of racing means that there are more women participating the lower levels, more have made it to the top levels, and have won races and won championships.

Comment

Bring back Pork Chop!

Comment

I would be stocked to have her back...really loved her attitude as a driver. Wish she had better equipment. It would be great to see another women racer along with Pippa.

Comment

But not really.
                Yeah, really.

For drag racing you can take your street car - whatever it is, go to your local track, and as long as it passes a very basic tech inspection (as in, is it not leaking fluids, the wheels securely fastened to the car, as is the battery) you can compete. If your car is slow enough, you don't need a helmet or any safety gear beyond long pants and closed-toe shoe . You don't even need to attend a safety briefing or a driver's meeting, and you don't have to work a flagging station or chase cones.
                First off, I wouldn't want to take part in any event that didn't require participants to attend even the most basic orientation/safety meeting. Given what's at risk, and insurance liability concerns, I can't imagine any drag strip operates in the manner you describe.

There are all manner of autocross type events around the country that allow you to take part with no more than what you've described above other than requiring a helmet. The same is true for a good many "track day" type events. As such, you contention that drag racing has the lowest barrier to entry into the sport doesn't really hold water.

You can go to Nurburgring and pay a modest fee (about 30 euros) to drive your car or motorcycle around the Nordschleife or the GP circuit.

Yes, the quicker and faster you go the more rules there are and the more involved it becomes, but the biggest barrier to entry is your distance from a track.
                Lots of autocross events bring the track to you, in a sense. I know of one that travels around Southern California setting up tracks in the large parking lots of baseball stadiums and the like.

...I'm talking about barrier to entry into the sport, not barrier to entry into Top Fuel. There is a reason drag racing is #1 in terms of participation.
                Upon what metric(s) are you basing that claim?

And the low barrier to entry compared to other motorsports, combined with the fact that women have been permitted to compete in drag racing for decades more than other forms of racing...
                Around what year do you believe women started competing in drag racing? Are you overlooking women that participated in other forms of racing (including rallying and Le Mans) as far back as the 1930s?

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Yeah, really.

First off, I wouldn't want to take part in any event that didn't require participants to attend even the most basic orientation/safety meeting. Given what's at risk, and insurance liability concerns, I can't imagine any drag strip operates in the manner you describe.
                  I invite you to go to your local drag strip with your street car during a day of bracket racing and see what happens. Faster cars require more interaction with officials, but if you're just running your 13 or 14-second street car down the strip, the only conversation you're likely to have with a track official is during tech. 14-seconds or slower you don't even need a helmet. Here is a brief synopsis of NHRA safety rules for E.T. racing.

Upon what metric(s) are you basing that claim?
                  The NHRA claims 80,000 members and 35,000 licensed competitors, and claims to be the largest auto racing organization in the world. IHRA is smaller, and while I can't find numbers for them, the NHRA metric alone should support my claim, and that is before adding in various regional or local independent groups that don't run under NHRA or IHRA sanction.

Around what year do you believe women started competing in drag racing? Are you overlooking women that participated in other forms of racing (including rallying and Le Mans) as far back as the 1930s?
                  I never claimed women didn't participate in other forms of motorsport. There are examples here and there of women competing in different disciplines of racing almost since the beginning, but would you agree with me that is has never been all that common? Meanwhile, just looking at the three professional car classes in drag racing (Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro Stock) women have been winning races and championships since the 70s, including Brittany Force in Top Fuel in 2017, and Erica Enders this year in Pro Stock. Autoweek reported on the 100th NHRA National Event pro class victory by a woman five years ago.

Comment

If you are going to be that elemental about it you could say the same about every other form of racing. Yes, really.
                    Scary....'agree on something.

edit: YIKES!!! Again in post #52.
                    "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

Originally posted by fullchat View Post

Ask Graham Rahal about his sister-in-law. Then work your way backward to Shirley Muldowney.
                      You're right - I was considering only modern track-racing series.

And when I said "truly competitive", I meant that in the sense of being a championship contender.

Comment

The one in which Lewis Hamilton started his racing career.

Comment

Originally posted by neti1 View Post
                          The one in which Lewis Hamilton started his racing career.
                          What, Karting? Where you need a kart that you can’t drive to work during the week?

Comment

Originally posted by neti1 View Post

You're right - I was considering only modern track-racing series.

And when I said "truly competitive", I meant that in the sense of being a championship contender.
                            Rahal’s sister-in-law won the Top Fuel championship in 2017. Erica Enders has won the Pro Stock championship 2-3 times, including this year.

the overriding point is that unlike about every other motorsport, there are enough women competing in drag racing - and winning - that is isn’t the novelty it is elsewhere.

Comment

Rahal’s sister-in-law won the Top Fuel championship in 2017. Erica Enders has won the Pro Stock championship 2-3 times, including this year.

the overriding point is that unlike about every other motorsport, there are enough women competing in drag racing - and winning - that is isn’t the novelty it is elsewhere.
                              I don't really follow drag racing, but as I recall, there was a female motorcycle drag racer champion, too?

Given the success women have had in drag racing, I wonder if any studies have ever been done to see if women have faster reflexes?
                              I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Comment

What, Karting? Where you need a kart that you can’t drive to work during the week?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X