No announcement yet.

Simona!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally like Simona a lot, and would love for her to be back. She showed serious guts around her hands, and kept her head up with some of the lower quality drives in the series (See: Porkchop, HVM, Lotus...). As a parent of girls, I love that she doesn't sell her gender, and is just a driver.

She falls in a category of drivers that has existed since the start of time: Not bad drivers that are undeserving of a ride, but not top tier drivers. (I think of folks like Servia, Carter, Tags, Boesel, Meira, or Johanssen). I personally would love to have a whole slew of those drivers in the field- they can be big on the right day. I'd rather have those folks than mobile chicanes.

Comment

Originally posted by CouchPilot View Post
      I’d love to have Simona back. Katherine Legge also. But I don’t see this happening.
      Legge at least tested with the W Series earlier this fall, which I thought was odd given her prior experience. At least she's open to future open-wheel opportunities.
      “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Simona splitting with Ed makes sense.

A full-time Simona ride doesn't make a ton of sense. Ovals are not her forte. One career top 10 finish. Four career lead-lap finishes - three at Indy - where if you are still running, its hard NOT to be on the lead lap.

Comment

Maybe we should've held off on the exclamation points until there was a real offer on the table.
          "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

Simona was a untiring user of exclamation points in her tweets, so the title actually doesn't have enough!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by damilt View Post
              Pruett says one Indycar team looking at her
              YES PLEASE!!!!!

Originally posted by frodo13 View Post
              Would love to see Simona and Porky back in the fold!!!
              I imagine Porkchop is probably scrap by now.

Even if not, there might be a little trouble with homologation .

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
                Simona was quite competitive when she finally got a decent team (and engine) in 2013 with KV, finished 2nd at Houston. Oh by the way, that was a pre-Bourdais KV as well, she was teamed and frequently outran on road courses with Tony Kanaan. Then the buffoon she has for a manager pulled her out of the series. She was hands-down the best female single seat driver on road courses I've seen yet.
                She was also running strong at Brazil in the wet until Danica rammed her under yellow. She spent 24 laps in the pits, but when she came out again she was the fastest driver on track. I've always wondered what she could have done that day, had DP not ruined her race.

Originally posted by rrrr View Post

This illustrates the general issue I have with drivers and teams subsidized by IMS, and female drivers in particular. "Hav[ing] one" is deemed more important than skill level. Should Penske also purchase drivers of certain race, ethnicity, or physical attributes for publicity?

Of course, there are several drivers in IndyCar that are there because of the money they bring, but that's a different discussion.

I suppose some people see value in having a female driver in a pink car because she pats children on the head, signs autographs, and advances a social construct. Me, not so much.
                There's never been a genuinely competitive female driver in a major league racing series. Which means a woman who could consistently run up front could be a huge draw. I don't know if Simona could accomplish that, but of all the women who've run in IndyCar, she's the mostly likely candidate.

Plus, it just feels good to see more diversity (provided the driver is competent).

Simona was a big fan favorite (partly due to gender , partly to her very likable attitude and persona) - as can be seen by the number of posters excited by the possibility, So having her in a car would probably boost attendance/ratings.

PS: since Lewis Hamilton seems on course to become the most successful driver in F1 history, I think the minority angle has already been well covered.

Originally posted by Tree0404 View Post
                Simona splitting with Ed makes sense.

A full-time Simona ride doesn't make a ton of sense. Ovals are not her forte. One career top 10 finish. Four career lead-lap finishes - three at Indy - where if you are still running, its hard NOT to be on the lead lap.
                I assume you mean 1 career top-10 finish on an oval ...

She has a 2nd, a 4th, a 6th and I think more top-10 finishes on RCs.

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post
                  Second Shank car for Indy only deal would be my guess for the rumor.
                  Just what I was thinking
                  Skypigeon "If you're not on the bus, don't whine about the direction it's going."

Comment

Originally posted by neti1 View Post

There's never been a genuinely competitive female driver in a major league racing series.
                    Ask Graham Rahal about his sister-in-law. Then work your way backward to Shirley Muldowney.

Comment

Originally posted by fenderless View Post
                      What did either of these ladies accomplish (other than their participation). I watched Katherine Legge in Cleveland hit the same damn hole three times in a row, the third time broke the suspension. So she survived a high speed crash.
                      A hell of a lot more than TF darlings Sarah Fisher and Pippa Mann, and even Princess Perm-a-pout.

Comment

I am sure Penske bought the series so Simona could be put back in to increase ratings and attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by CLUB 33 View Post

A hell of a lot more than TF darlings Sarah Fisher and Pippa Mann, and even Princess Perm-a-pout.
                          Not exactly a high bar, is it? Hey- If she gets a ride I wish her well.
                          "Factually Unfounded Opinion" Rep. Elijah Cummings
                          "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by neti1 View Post
                            YES PLEASE!!!!!

I imagine Porkchop is probably scrap by now.

Even if not, there might be a little trouble with homologation .
                            Porkchop was at least up to two years ago, owned as a roller by someone near Watkins Glen and not a racer. How he ended up with it, I have no idea and don't know the guy. Had it for sale on craigslist locally! Don't know what happened to it.
                            And don't forget the heat!

Comment

Great post Grizz. Thanks for recalling what really happened back then. Hope Simona does come back in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by fullchat View Post

Ask Graham Rahal about his sister-in-law. Then work your way backward to Shirley Muldowney.
                                And even earlier. Drag racing has more competitive women now because women have been competing since the 60s. The barriers to entry are also a lot lower in drag racing, where you only need the following:

1. A car
                                2. A track

to compete. Yes there is a little bit more involved, but not really.
                                “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X