Penske buys the Indianapolis Motor Speedway & IndyCar series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post
    It's felt pretty darned clear for awhile that the Hulman-George family has been looking to get out. We've all heard the rumors and while this might have been a slow burning fire, the saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" held true. The real question all along was who would they sell to? I'm okay with Penske taking over. Would people rather see NASCAR in charge? I get that Roger Penske can be a polarizing figure, but the guy knows how to run a successful organization(s). He also clearly loves the 500. The Hulman-George family owned the track for nearly 74 years. I really think it was time for a change. For whatever reason, they no longer appeared to have the same "zest" they once had. Maybe it was purely a matter of finances, but I think it was also a change in priorities. I'm thankful that when they decided to sell, they decided to sell to someone who has a passion for the track and the series.
    Someone hired Doug Boles. Is that not "zesty" enough for you? IMO Doug is well past "zest" on the passion for IMS scale.

Comment

People forget that Penske has TWO sons...His older son is kind of out of the spotlight but is heavily involved with Penske Corp including being on the board of several Penske Companies. They would probably use the Penske name and have a group run it, including Greg Penske.

Comment

I think we are all missing the obvious here....

Roger clearly hates this aeroscreen that much

Comment

Originally posted by Z28 View Post
          Dough Boles
          Man, that'd be a great name if they start selling donut holes in the concession stands at The Speedway.

"He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Comment

I think this is good news. Roger knows what he’s doing, and he deeply cares about IndyCar and the 500.

I do think, however, that TF will now need to create an entirely new forum specifically for officiating complaints!

Seriously, a good day for motorsports, in all likelihood. Massive news. Wow.

Comment

How many times did Penske try to buy IMS? I was told by a reliable source a few years ago that Penske was part of a group then that included Bruton Smith, Tony George, and AJ Foyt that tried to buy IMS.
                quote:
                "It is sad that open-wheel racing has become a buy a ride situation, but it is what it is."

Comment

Nice photo. Be sure you have permission to post it

Thanks
                  There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

My wish list for Roger to do now that he owns IMS:

1. bring back the apron
                    2. lift the blackout
                    3. dump NASCAR (I know he will keep them though for TV $)
                    4. sell a title sponsor for the '500, something like "The Pepsi Indianapolis 500" and put that $ into the purse
                    5. ABSOLUTELY NO GUARANTEED STARTING SPOTS!!!

That is a good start. What are others that I am missing?
                    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

• Will the news conference be streamed?
                      ...---...

Comment

• Originally posted by indymoon View Post

Someone hired Doug Boles. Is that not "zesty" enough for you? IMO Doug is well past "zest" on the passion for IMS scale.
                        I agree. Doug Boles was a great hire and his passion has been awesome, but it still feels like the ownership of the track had gotten a bit more "complicated" over the past decade as business fortunes and priorities changed.
                        Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

• Originally posted by BADGER View Post
                          I find it a bit ironic that after having rumors about a sales numerous times over the years, it actually sold during a period with almost no rumors (at least to the general population). AS much as I lover racing, I'm not sure I would invest in it, but Roger has more wins in his portfolio then most of us, so I think he will be good for the sport.
                          Best kept secret since 1994.

Comment

• Originally posted by RHRfan#1 View Post
                            My wish list for Roger to do now that he owns IMS:

3. dump NASCAR (I know he will keep them though for TV $)
                            Yeah, Roger has no involvement with them, right?

Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

• Link to streaming of press conference 11:00 am EST
                              https://www.indianapolismotorspeedwa...rporation-2019
                              Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

• Originally posted by nascarnation View Post

Yeah, Roger has no involvement with them, right?
                                I don't care if he continues to race in the top two series of NASCAR, but they (NASCAR) need to leave IMS now. They have worn out their welcome, and nobody cares anymore.
                                World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X