Penske buys the Indianapolis Motor Speedway & IndyCar series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Air Jack View Post
    Every time I've entered the Speedway, I've had that "Back Home Again in Indiana" feeling and felt that the Hulman family was welcoming me.

I wonder what it will feel like when I get there in May..........
    I imagine it will feel very much like it always has.
    Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

He's had a decade to groom Tim Cindric to take over the racing operations, I hope he has at least another one to enjoy literally owning IMS and setting up a line of succession.

Comment

Originally posted by Baulz View Post

I doubt that will happen.
        The way NASCAR is headed...maybe Penske will buy them, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Air Jack View Post
          Every time I've entered the Speedway, I've had that "Back Home Again in Indiana" feeling and felt that the Hulman family was welcoming me.

I wonder what it will feel like when I get there in May..........
          I would think of all the Billionaires who could've bought the speedway Roger is the most likely to keep all the traditions, history, and feel of the place in tact. Who would you rather shift this too?

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post

I'm trusting in Roger's ability to surround himself with the right people. Besides, he looks damn good for 80+.
            Good point, I hope to look that good at 60.

Comment

I am all for Penske ownership of Indy/Indycar...I am all against him competing in it....

All the other teams should demand he remove himself from team ownership-involvement

Sell it to Tim Cindric or his son......but “hands off” entirely

Comment

Does this mean the local blackout will be lifted?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamFoyt View Post
                  I am all for Penske ownership of Indy/Indycar...I am all against him competing in it....

All the other teams should demand he remove himself from team ownership-involvement

Did you feel the same way when Tony George owned Vision Racing?

Comment

Originally posted by 38special View Post
                    Did he buy WTHR also?
                    It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

I find it a bit ironic that after having rumors about a sales numerous times over the years, it actually sold during a period with almost no rumors (at least to the general population). As much as I love racing, I'm not sure I would invest in it, but Roger has more wins in his portfolio then most of us, so I think he will be good for the sport.
                      Last edited by BADGER; 11-04-2019, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamFoyt View Post

How about when Forsythe, Gentilozzi, and Kalkhoven owned Champ Car?
                        To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. - Bruce McLaren

Josef Newgarden 2 James Hinchcliffe 5 Conor Daly ?
                        ATLANTA UNITED FC |||||
                        #ParkedIt

Comment

Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post

Did you feel the same way when Tony George owned Vision Racing?
                          Absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by 38special View Post

Someone has to be first.

I hope not - keep the blackout.

Comment

The idea that it's a new company Penske Entertainment is about the only way this makes sense for Penske. Maybe he's formed a line of succession for Cindric on the Team side and Greg and Roger jr or maybe their kids on the entertainment side. Remember what Jay Penske https://pmc.com/about-us/person/jay-penske/ owns, https://pmc.com/about-us/person/jay-penske/ several of those are substantial media outlets. Instead of looking at what might change as negatives start to wonder how the Speedway, Indycar, IMS Productions and the rest might become more aligned with the way the world is changing going forward. The dirt track came up, but what about incorporating a music venue in the infield with a pavilion and graduated lawn seating that could be used Spring thru Fall and not just on a couple of race weekends.

I can see dozens of ways this could be a real pivot for motorsports especially when it's seen in the light of NASCAR and Sonic taking their racetracks private. It's not like Penske just worked out buying the Speedway with a pencil on a legal pad, he had to be in conversation with NASCAR's owners and the Smith family.

For all the Doug Boles love, yes keep him on as Executive Director of Fan Interaction. He does a great job shaking hands and making everyone feel like they're his BFF and generating goodwill but I'd rather see some outsider with a grand plan to implement to lead the Speedway into the 2030's.
                              Last edited by doitagain; 11-04-2019, 08:59 AM. Reason: dough typo
                              "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                              "They're criminals"
                              "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Amazing news, but wish it had happened 25 years ago!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X