Penske buys the Indianapolis Motor Speedway & IndyCar series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ren Butler View Post

Yeah, but he was one of the first to realize and remedy that mistake.

I've never been a Penske fan, and this is a sad day for an Indianapolis institution -- but out of all the sale possibilities, this is the least worrisome to me. Roger "knows what Indy means." Hopefully my instincts are correct.
    Agreed. Sad day. Similar to a sports franchise being sold. There will be changes, just hope it’s for the better of the 500 and Indycar. My first guess is 500 goes to Saturday so more NASCAR drivers can to the double.

I hope Boles stays.
    "Any time that I can be out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, you're going to see a smile on my face." - Dan Wheldon

"It's crazy how the Indianapolis Motor Speedway can make you so emotional. I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows in less than 24 hours." - Alex Tagliani

Comment

Quite a bookend story to "the Split"

All Roads Lead to Indy...

Comment

Originally posted by TeamFoyt View Post
        So guy buys Indy, INDYCAR, etc. And still competes in it? That seems fair? In my book, he must stop his involvement with the race team completely.

count me as gone if he still competes
        Sincerely,
        Vision Racing

Comment

I, for one, was looking forward to the Ed Carpenter years of control at IMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Doyouloveit? View Post
            I hope Boles stays.
            I hope Doug stays too, but I have a feeling that Bud Denker may have a key role in the new IMS management. We'll have to see where the chips fall.

Comment

Originally posted by billt View Post
              I wouldnt trust roger penske as far as I could throw him. he went with the cart side on the split instead of the 500. we need a local owner not one like this
              Can't get locals to buy or invest in teams, but yeah one will pop up and buy league and IMS. There is no better person to buy IMS. Rodger Pensker eat, sleeps and lives the Indy 500. He knows the Speedway better than anyone outside the HG family.

Comment

I don’t see any mention of the dirt track... but I assume that’s included.

Two tracks for the price of one?

Comment

Originally posted by TeamFoyt View Post
                  So guy buys Indy, INDYCAR, etc. And still competes in it? That seems fair? In my book, he must stop his involvement with the race team completely.

count me as gone if he still competes
                  Seems like an overreaction but might as well start packing if that is your take.
                  Center Grove Trojans
                  2008 5A Football State Champs
                  2015 6A Football State Champs
                  2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                  2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by tcummings View Post
                    sad day in motorsports-sold to a guy that ruined every type of racing he's been involved in except NASCAR [Trans Am,Can Am,Indy car]and he's been working on that
                    How did he ruin IndyCar, Trans-Am and Can-Am?
                    To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. - Bruce McLaren

Josef Newgarden 2 James Hinchcliffe 5 Conor Daly ?
                    ATLANTA UNITED FC |||||
                    #ParkedIt

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post

Seems like an overreaction but might as well start packing if that is your take.
                      It's in the same league as "I'm leaving the country is so-and-so wins the election..."
                      Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

I wonder if an offer from a third entity was on the table, and that Roger stepped in to prevent the sale going to an "outside party."?
                        Roger buying this at his age, seems odd, or at least quite interesting.

Per the Ed comments, I never thought he'd be running IMS in the future, he's not blood.

Comment

I'm speechless right now! Not sure at all what to say, type or even think. I'll wait for the press conference and additional details before making my mind up though.
                          World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Wow, just wow..... I think this is really good for the sport, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyCarSeries View Post

How did he ruin IndyCar, Trans-Am and Can-Am?
                              He did a better job than everyone else.

Comment

It's felt pretty darned clear for awhile that the Hulman-George family has been looking to get out. We've all heard the rumors and while this might have been a slow burning fire, the saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" held true. The real question all along was who would they sell to? I'm okay with Penske taking over. Would people rather see NASCAR in charge? I get that Roger Penske can be a polarizing figure, but the guy knows how to run a successful organization(s). He also clearly loves the 500. The Hulman-George family owned the track for nearly 74 years. I really think it was time for a change. For whatever reason, they no longer appeared to have the same "zest" they once had. Maybe it was purely a matter of finances, but I think it was also a change in priorities. I'm thankful that when they decided to sell, they decided to sell to someone who has a passion for the track and the series.
                                Real drivers don't need fenders!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X