No announcement yet.

Penske buys the Indianapolis Motor Speedway & IndyCar series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought we rolled back the clocks, but instead, it's April 1st? Wow!! I am floored. I did NOT see this coming, but I did note how quiet IMS has been the past few weeks. I was thinking maybe a sponsor announcement or something was coming, but this is huge news.

So Penske Corp will own, I hope Doug Boles remains the leader there. Roger is still going as strong as ever, but realistically he will be 83 years old in February. I know that Cendric will run the teams down the road, but what kind of board are we looking at that will be the keepers of IMS and decide on improvements, lights, Brickyard 400, other events, changes to the track, The 500, etc?

In summary... just... wow....
    Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

Comment

Originally posted by CouchPilot View Post
      I suppose anything is possible. But I find this very hard to believe.
      there is a statement and a news conference planned

https://twitter.com/katiehargitt/sta...435538432?s=19

Comment

Maybe with this news there will be a push to drop the Miami experiment and bring a second United States Grand Prix to Indianapolis as well

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post

Yep! Had to make sure it wasn’t April 1st before posting.
          I posted that in the other thread

Comment

I need to fire my sources, was told it was Tony Stewart.
            "If you don't do it this year, you'll be another year older when you do"

http://davidm.smugmug.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 38special View Post
              Interesting. What does Penske entertainment currently own? Back in the day, there was Penske Motorsports that owned Fontana, Michigan, Nazareth, and maybe a couple others, but then it was sold to ISC.

I don't think we are done with bombshell news like this. Nascar(France family) taking ISC private might have been done to sell the 2 companies together. Isn't SMI going private too? I don't think this is all a coincidence.
              It appears that Penske Entertainment is a new entity - presumably set up solely for this acquisition. Perhaps the Detroit Grand Prix might eventually be owned by this entity as well.

As far as the sale itself, there has been smoke rising to varying degrees for years. It seems self-evident the loss of MHG was the precursor.

I’ve heard the family/family trusts lost a huge portion of its wealth due to the Great Recession/Madoff scheme. We should be thankful the family was somehow able to finally help right the ship despite clearly not having capital to inject into the sport.

This is a game changer...I believe this will be a huge positive for the sport and our beloved IMS.
              "You make one **** of a caucasian Jackie." The Dude Lebowski

Comment

Never has this image been more appropriate.
                DWfNI6PXUAA-uuq.jpg

Comment

Stoked to have guaranteed starting spots coming for the Indy 500!!

Comment

This is pretty shocking news but on the balance of it probably good news. Maybe Tony will use the money to bring back Vision racing, need more cars lol

Comment

Originally posted by PastorOfMuppets View Post
                      Maybe with this news there will be a push to drop the Miami experiment and bring a second United States Grand Prix to Indianapolis as well
                      Roger didn't get rich throwing away money just to feed his ego.
                      Center Grove Trojans
                      2008 5A Football State Champs
                      2015 6A Football State Champs
                      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Noonan View Post

This is a game changer...I believe this will be a huge positive for the sport and our beloved IMS.
                        Why? Roger ain't gonna be around much longer. Then what happens?

Comment

So, is there any truth to the rumors that Vernors will be the official soft drink of IMS next year???

Comment

Today promises to be a veeeeerrrrrrryyy interesting day on trackforum.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post
                              Best buyer I can think of. This looks like a great move.
                              Trying to put aside the shock value of all this...I agree. If they were going to sell to anyone, RP would probably be the right person. It would beat the alternatives of selling to some outside entertainment company, holding company, the Frances, or the Smiths.

Comment

Should have happened 20 years ago.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X