No announcement yet.

Penske buys the Indianapolis Motor Speedway & IndyCar series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He's going to get rid of the troughs...i just know it!
    2012 Races: St.Pete, Indianapolis and THE MILWAUKEE MILE!!!!!!
    2013 Races: Indianapolis and Indyfest 2013
    2014 Races: Popped the Wife's Indy 500 Cherry and Indyfest 2014
    2015 Race: ABC Supply Wisconsin 250
    2016 Races: 100th Running of the Indianapolis 500 and Road America!

Comment

• Originally posted by raskav View Post
      I think Roger deserves a promotion.
      Should we now call him The General?
      No. There is only one General in Indiana.
      Center Grove Trojans
      2008 5A Football State Champs
      2015 6A Football State Champs
      2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
      2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

• Originally posted by Indy499 View Post
        I wonder if an offer from a third entity was on the table, and that Roger stepped in to prevent the sale going to an "outside party."?
        Roger buying this at his age, seems odd, or at least quite interesting.

Per the Ed comments, I never thought he'd be running IMS in the future, he's not blood.
        Tony owns that team and everyone knows it.

Comment

• Originally posted by CrankShaft View Post

Why? Roger ain't gonna be around much longer. Then what happens?
          Seriously, you think a man as successful and smart as Roger Penske doesn't have corporate infrastructure in place for the inevitable? Guessing he has life insurance policies and a will too.
          Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Truth Detector View Post

No. There is only one General in Indiana.
            Umm, shouldn't the term be was???
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Comment

• Time to put in for a transfer...

currently working for Penske Logistics (9 years)
              He kani 'ano 'e loa kela. Ua 'ai nui anei 'oe ma ke kakahiaka?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelican Joe View Post
                It's felt pretty darned clear for awhile that the Hulman-George family has been looking to get out. We've all heard the rumors and while this might have been a slow burning fire, the saying "where there's smoke, there's fire" held true. The real question all along was who would they sell to? I'm okay with Penske taking over. Would people rather see NASCAR in charge? I get that Roger Penske can be a polarizing figure, but the guy knows how to run a successful organization(s). He also clearly loves the 500. The Hulman-George family owned the track for nearly 74 years. I really think it was time for a change. For whatever reason, they no longer appeared to have the same "zest" they once had. Maybe it was purely a matter of finances, but I think it was also a change in priorities. I'm thankful that when they decided to sell, they decided to sell to someone who has a passion for the track and the series.
                Hard to divide the assets when they still own it. Selling Clabber girl was the handwriting on the wall. The family has been done running it for a while.

so who’s gonna start the Gentlemen, start your engines thread?

Comment

• Originally posted by 767 View Post
                  Great news! Why is this so good? The guy is no idiot. If he goes in and screws everything up, he just threw away all of his money. People like him do not get to where they are by doing things like that! To the people saying the Nascar races needs to go, Just Stop. I agree the race sucks and I have even turned down free tickets, but as long as it makes money, its 1 more weekend that the speedway is used. The great thing is both IMS and IndyCar are in pretty good spots right right now. He does not need to walk in and make wholesale changes. The off season just got fun!
                  As big a facility the IMS is you need something happening weekly to keep the doors open. Living near Road America they have something going weekly. I would say we can expect big changes to the IMS. Penske is a first class operation. The place will only get better.

Comment

• Wow is all I can say. I honestly didn’t think this would happen but the family must want out, thanks to the Hulman’s for great operational excellence. At least it’s going to someone who loves the speedway.

Really interesting to see the future of the series, could be a good thing or a really bad thing.
                    The artist formally known as 00steven/Little Dingo

Comment

• Originally posted by beej View Post

Seriously, you think a man as successful and smart as Roger Penske doesn't have corporate infrastructure in place for the inevitable? Guessing he has life insurance policies and a will too.
                      Yep but who besides Roger Penske will give 2 dumps about racing, IMS and the Indy 500 when he's gone? If people aren't concerned about that they damn well should be.

Comment

• Originally posted by beej View Post

Anyone that went to MIS during the Penske years then attended after he sold it would disagree. It didn't take more than a year to see the facility was subpar. This is bittersweet for someone like me that has been going to IMS and remember since the mid 50's, but it is also a good day for OW fans and IMS.
                        I see your 20 year-old MIS example, and raise you Belle Isle today.

Comment

• On one side you have folks that love IMS and hate Roger Penske. On the other side you have folks that hate IMS and love Roger Penske. I can feel the breeze from their heads spinning as they try to decide how to react.
                          Center Grove Trojans
                          2008 5A Football State Champs
                          2015 6A Football State Champs
                          2011 Track State Champs

Center Grove Jr. Trojans
                          2014, 2015 & 2017 IEFA State Champs

Comment

• Roger loves Indy
                            Barney Oldfield - AJ Foyt - Jim Clark - Dan Gurney - IMS - IMS YT - INDYCAR - INDYCAR YT

Comment

• Originally posted by CrankShaft View Post

Yep but who besides Roger Penske will give 2 dumps about racing, IMS and the Indy 500 when he's gone? If people aren't concerned about that they damn well should be.
                              This is what I've been saying. I've worried for his team after he's gone, as Cindric is not rich. Obviously nobody cared about it any longer within Hullman/George, and it was sold.
                              "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

• Robin Miller’s &10 million winners share. New engine manufacturers maybe a new chassis manufacturer added. Innovations. Bump days with 40+ entrants. With the Penske innovation this is all possible. Plus I still see Ed in the mix when he is done driving.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X