Penske buys the Indianapolis Motor Speedway & IndyCar series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by millrace View Post
    Indycar as a division of a bigger motorsports league seems likely to follow. It probably won't be too bad until Penske sells. Speedway may build a racing theme park or something. At the very least some new hotels and conference center in town and maybe a huge expansion of the museum.
    Things will never be the same. Look for big big changes at the track related to increasing a national entertainment draw, that is my guess.
    If you ask me I always thought the business side of Indycar was underwhelming. At least they will finally have somebody who knows how to run it as business like most other major league sports out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by raskav View Post
      I think Roger deserves a promotion.
      Should we now call him The General?
      El Conquistador, please...

Every race I run in is in preparation for the Indianapolis 500. Indy is the most important thing in my life. It is what I live for. - Al Unser Jr.

Everything I ever wanted in my life, I found inside the walls of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. - Eddie Sachs.

Comment

• Originally posted by 11rowsof3 View Post
        Champ Car was owned by team owners, was it not? Don't see the big deal, Penske Corp is separate from Team Penske. Not ideal from the Series perspective, but not unprecedented.

open-uri20120929-28886-84ivlf.jpg
        Whatever happened to Kalkhoven...just hanging out skiing, surfing, and hot chicks?
        Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

• Great news! Why is this so good? The guy is no idiot. If he goes in and screws everything up, he just threw away all of his money. People like him do not get to where they are by doing things like that! To the people saying the Nascar races needs to go, Just Stop. I agree the race sucks and I have even turned down free tickets, but as long as it makes money, its 1 more weekend that the speedway is used. The great thing is both IMS and IndyCar are in pretty good spots right right now. He does not need to walk in and make wholesale changes. The off season just got fun!

Comment

El Conquistador, please...

It's a very old title...
            It's a Hoosier thing, you wouldn't understand...

Comment

Champ Car was owned by team owners, was it not? Don't see the big deal, Penske Corp is separate from Team Penske. Not ideal from the Series perspective, but not unprecedented.

Was that the fabled "Van Halen Cup" ?
              Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

• Somebody voiced an opinion that Roger Penske should not enter cars in a race where he owns the track. Did this person also object to Ed Carpenter racing at a track where his family owns the track?

==

Comment

With TG clearly out of the picture, and Roger in charge, any chance for a re-up from Forsythe?

Comment

• Shocking. Just shocking. My biggest concern, beyond the obvious Penske favoritism, is that where does this leave the sport and the Speedway when Roger is gone??? He's in his 80's, making this purchase incredibly bizarre but I guess the HG family truly wanted out/out.
                    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

• Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
                      Shocking. Just shocking. My biggest concern, beyond the obvious Penske favoritism, is that where does this leave the sport and the Speedway when Roger is gone??? He's in his 80's, making this purchase incredibly bizarre but I guess the HG family truly wanted out/out.
                      Roger clearly expects the Penske empire to go on strong long after he's gone, based on his family and a large team of other talented executives in the company.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
                        Shocking. Just shocking. My biggest concern, beyond the obvious Penske favoritism, is that where does this leave the sport and the Speedway when Roger is gone??? He's in his 80's, making this purchase incredibly bizarre but I guess the HG family truly wanted out/out.
                        I'm guessing his family, who is already involved in other ventures will be in charge as well. What we could see is the sport is intermingled with those outside businesses as well.

Comment

• Ten pages in and no one has complained about how this means Belle Isle will always be after Indy? You disappoint me, TF.

Comment

• Originally posted by tcummings View Post
                            sad day in motorsports-sold to a guy that ruined every type of racing he's been involved in except NASCAR [Trans Am,Can Am,Indy car]and he's been working on that
                            Anyone that went to MIS during the Penske years then attended after he sold it would disagree. It didn't take more than a year to see the facility was subpar. This is bittersweet for someone like me that has been going to IMS and remember since the mid 50's, but it is also a good day for OW fans and IMS.
                            Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Winston Churchill

Comment

• To me, this is clearly where the sisters once again probably outvoted Tony. It has been said here many times that their country-club lifestyle was threatened when Tony ran the IRL.
                              I'm just amazed (but not surprised) that they don't think their offspring would want to continue running the family business. Or maybe they don't...which is why they are selling. But it has been clear when I've been in town they like to party and hardly work.

I feel for Tony today.
                              RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

"It's a discussion board, not a society ball." ~Skypigeon

Comment

• Penske's racing operations are likely NOT a money maker for the corporation. I'd be incredibly concerned when he's out of the picture.
                                "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X