Mystery Euro Team Mentioned on MP Podcast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Euro Team Mentioned on MP Podcast

If y'all listened to the pod, MP mentions a High Budget/Well Pedigreed European Team has contacted an existing Indycar team about a partnership or starting a satellite team to compete as early as 2020.....

What is your guess?

I'm going to say Sauber

Red Bull w/ O'Ward partnering with RLL.

Just my guess.
    "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

McLaren????
      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by RahalsMustache View Post
        If y'all listened to the pod, MP mentions a High Budget/Well Pedigreed European Team has contacted an existing Indycar team about a partnership or starting a satellite team to compete as early as 2020.....

What is your guess?

I'm going to say Sauber
        Let's Analyze this:

Marshall does not mention a form of racing. So let's start there.

Formula 1. At first I thought I could rule this out. First, Marshall does not really travel in these circles and anything would have to travel through Chris Medland. I suppose that's possible. So let's proceed.

You could eliminate: McLaren, Red Bull/Toro Rosso (The Honda F1 project manager worked for HPD in Indycar recently so he could give them any contacts they needed), Ferarri/Sauber-Alfa Romeo (FCA which has been talking on and off to Indycar for a while) and Haas. That leaves Mercedes, Williams and Racing Point. Williams has been hand-to-mounth recently so I am not sure they would qualify unless they were looking at a soft landing for Robert Kubica. Racing Point is more interesting, being Canadian owned, so I suppose that's possible. But you have to think that Otmar Szafnauer would have some Indycar connections, being American and having worked for Honda. On the other hand, he would know who Marshall is.

Mercedes is worth thinking about for a minute. Maybe more than a minute. They have a driver development program, and a LOT of money. And no obvious connection to Indycar. Maybe they have a driver they'd want to place in Indycar?

Sports Cars: This is within Marshall's circle. The problem here is there are a lot of sports car organizations that spend about what an Indycar team spends. The money isn't staggering by any means. With the possible exception of Toyota. There are two strikes against Toyota: First, is it a European organization? The race team is German, but everyone thinks "Japan" when they hear "Toyota". And they have connections with the USA through Wayne Taylor. Who is well connected within the Indycar Paddock.

The other big money sports car organization is Porsche. They have a driver development program. And they have lots of sponsor relationships. Maybe they are interested in learning more about Indycar on the ground level? But wouldn't they have contacts in the Indycar Paddock. You have to assume they have at least had meetings with people from Honda and Chevy, right? If they were interested in a Honda team, wouldn't they go in through HPD, for instance?

The dark horse European sports car organization is Rebellion Racing. And they have an American driver: Gustavo Menezes. But how much money do they have?

Formula E: Again, the money in Formula E is about the same as Indycar. So these teams might not qualify as big spenders. And they have to be casually acquainted with Roger Griffiths, who runs the BMW Andretti team and used to run HPD. Wouldn't they go in to Indycar that way?

CONCLUSION:

I am going to make three guesses. All lean heavily the money angle:
        1. Top choice is AMG Mercedes, possibly branded as AMG. They have more money than God. Lewis Hamilton's salary alone is probably more than Penske Racing's entire Indycar budget.
        2. Second Choice is Racing Point. Maybe they have a Canadian that needs seasoning that isn't Lance Stroll.
        3. Third is Rebellion.
        Of course, now that I have committed to it watch for that announcement of Porsche partnering with Dale Coyne.

Comment

Mercedes DOES have an obvious connection to Indy car: McLaren will be back in the Mercedes F1 customer engines camp next year.
          "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
            Mercedes DOES have an obvious connection to Indy car: McLaren will be back in the Mercedes F1 customer engines camp next year.
            Mclaren will use Mercedes engines in F1 in 2021, not 2020
            World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

Originally posted by RHRfan#1 View Post

Mclaren will use Mercedes engines in F1 in 2021, not 2020
              Oh, you're right. Still, it's an Indy car connection.
              "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Campos Racing Team. They've been mentioned as possibly wanting to move up to Formula One when the new specs come in in 2021, but Formula One doesn't seem to be all that interested for some reason. They're pedigreed in Europe like Carlin is pedigreed in Europe, though I'm not sure how their records compare.
                “America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
                  Campos Racing Team. They've been mentioned as possibly wanting to move up to Formula One when the new specs come in in 2021, but Formula One doesn't seem to be all that interested for some reason. They're pedigreed in Europe like Carlin is pedigreed in Europe, though I'm not sure how their records compare.
                  Alex Palou (a driver that tested w/ Coyne) has raced for them before as well as Alexander Rossi and the ever-forgettable Stefano Coletti
                  My Heroes are Lloyd Dobbler, Lloyd Christmas, and Lloyd Ruby

Comment

Years ago Eurointernational (the same team that helped Alex Rossi through the Formula BMW ladder and support Santino Ferruci in F3) said they were interested in Indy Lights. There was even rumors that they would eventually move their way up to Indycar. This was during about the same time Carlin launched their plans in North America.

https://www.autosport.com/lights/new...ns-indy-lights

Eurointernational has a long history of helping Americans and actually took part in CART in the early 90's.

Even though Eurointernational is known more for the junior ladder teams I can imagine them joining Indycar again.
                    "The only good horsepower is usable horsepower.."

Comment

Bullwinkle, I'll have to disagree a bit.
                      The "High Budget/Well Pedigreed European Team has contacted an existing Indycar team about a partnership or starting a satellite team to compete as early as 2020.." part would indicate this rumored team is NOT a manufacturer.

I just can't see AMG (Mercedes) or Porsche entering IndyCar with a Chevy or Honda engine, regardless of how much money they have.

Racing Point and Rebellion could be possibilities.

I'd add SMP to the list. They seem to have plenty of money with Russian banking/oil/govt money backing them.They're spread around in many Euro sportscar series. They've competed in WEC LMP1 (and LMP2), but seem to be a bit on the 'out' with WEC as they've withdrawn from the 19-20 season.
                      Though technically Russian, their base of operations is in France.
                      Does the name M. Aleshin ring a bell?
                      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Sweaty Teddy View Post
                        The OP said team, not manufacturer. I think that rules out Mercedes or Porsche.

I don't see Racing Point (or any other F1 team as a likely candidate). My guess would be an F2 or F3 team, so I agree that Campos is a good possibility. Or EuroInternational, as Hitokiri suggested.

Edit: I see Jakester beat me to the manufacturer observation ...

Comment

Fall is when the weather cools, the leaves change and rumors of new interest in forming Indycar teams blooms anew. Last fall and winter it was the same thing, some wild dreams about 26 cars, not enough pit stalls, bumping during the season. all fell by the time the tulips bloomed. The ones that actually started the year as part timers weren't all around at the end.

But it's a long off season with nothing much more to talk about.
                          "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                          "They're criminals"
                          "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post

Just my guess.
                            Makes sense. So does Racing Point

Comment

Originally posted by happyscrappy-t View Post

Just my guess.
                              That guess would be wrong. It would be sponsorship, not new team. SMP has money, they just stopped WEC program but then again they have driver who just won F3 championship and is on the way to F2. There have been rumours they are looking for F1 team as well. They have huge driver program but what is for them to run their own drivers in IndyCar? Prema would be interesting, like Carlin, they are everywhere as well.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X