Is a 1/2 mile track too small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is a 1/2 mile track too small?

Is that to short of a track for Indycars to race on?

I ask because there’s been the rumor for a while of nascar going to Nashville to race at the fairgrounds. Maybe there’s the double header in 2021 with a new market for both series.

It is most likely too small.
    World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

There would be way too much of passing backmarkers.

==

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post

==
        And...???
        RIP Dan Wheldon :(

"Anybody who says the IndyCar Series is not the best championship in the world is a complete idiot in my book." ~Dan Wheldon

"It's a discussion board, not a society ball." ~Skypigeon

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post

==
          Or lack of being able to pass back markers.
          Last edited by happyscrappy-t; 10-04-2019, 02:24 PM.
          "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

It would ever happen, but I think mid week evening twin 100 lappers at IRP by Lights and then the big cars would be fun. Heck, start the evening with Silver Crown, make it a three race night.
            "He went into a tire barrier, which is certainly the nicest of all the barriers." -Bobby Unser, Denver '90

Comment

Way too small. Roller Derby with race cars.
              "I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

I think a NASCAR return to the Nashville Fairgrounds is still in the pipe dream category....as there's been little progress in even establishing how/who/what with the track.

A discussion of a double header at Nashville is even further into imaginaryland.
                BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                  Way too small. Roller Derby with race cars.
                  Right, Indycars need to show speed. Save the bull rings for slower cars.

Comment

In modern times, the smallest tracks major-league OW cars have raced on are Richmond (.75mi.), Sanair (.826mi.), and Iowa (.875mi.). Richmond and Iowa have at least a chance of good racing with wide, variable banked turns. I don't remember much about the racing at Sanair, but I doubt today's cars would race well at a tight, sub-1mi. triangle.

If we're brainstorming, the only places that pop into my head are IRP and...Bristol?!?
                    You have the IndyCar you deserve.

Comment

It would probably have something to do with the closing rate of at her cars.
                      GO COLTS!!!

Comment

1/2 mile too small. Nashville would be a one groove track. You just can't go as fast as an Indycar would be on 18 degrees of banking (same as Michigan but not nearly as wide) and have two grooves, even 3 degrees on the straights, add to that marbles and it's not even worth going for a test.

someone said you need to show the speed of these cars and tracks more than a mile and 200 mph are the way to go not looking smaller than Richmond.
                        "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                        "They're criminals"
                        "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

Originally posted by dakinca View Post
                          A) Is that to short of a track for Indycars to race on?

B) I ask because there’s been the rumor for a while of nascar going to Nashville to race at the fairgrounds.
                          A) Yes.

B) You don't mention what NASCAR series is rumoured; NASCAR has numerous ones. Fer instance, are you talking the K&N or Whelen Series by chance? I can't believe Cup, or even Xfinity, would be goin' there. 'Not in the biz, and don't follow as close as I used to, but I just don't see it.
                          https://hometracks.nascar.com/region...edule-results/
                          'Just a quick Google search and still no mention of which NASCAR series it would be..... Any links?
                          https://www.newschannel5.com/news/da...n-in-nashville

Oh how rumours start on the internet.....
                          Last edited by jimclark; 10-04-2019, 06:42 PM.
                          "Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

I sure wish we could all just put this double-header stuff to bed.

https://racer.com/2019/10/02/no-imme...arlotte-roval/
                            "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Originally posted by Sea Fury View Post
                              I sure wish we could all just put this double-header stuff to bed.

"Those were the days my friends. We thought they'd never end....."

jimclark

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X