Probably off topic - Menard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably off topic - Menard

Was just announced that Paul Menard is retiring from full-time racing next year. Any chance of an Indy 500 one-off? Supposedly he was headed toward an Indycar career when Scott Brayton was killed and John decided the cars were too dangerous. I wonder if John might relent with the new windscreen/halo?
    I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Would Paul even consider it? He has a family now and I'm sure he has seen the crashes over the last couple of years on Super Speedways.

Comment

If we weren't stuck with the same stagnant rules package and regulations, the Menard's would likely own multiple cars in the series at the minimum at Indianapolis.

Maybe we can get him involved in ownership at some point. Tony Stewart as well.

Comment

I think he is headed to th family business.

==

Comment

Originally posted by debdrake View Post
          Was just announced that Paul Menard is retiring from full-time racing next year. Any chance of an Indy 500 one-off?
          No.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Originally posted by NoviVespa View Post
            I think he is headed to th family business.

==
            Dad's gonna be 80. Forbes reports net worth as $12b.
            That seems like a good move.

Maybe he'll have some racing team(s) on the side.
            Paul likes to road race, maybe he does a part time sports car gig.
            No way do I see him running an Indycar at IMS.
            Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

If I was a bored Billionaire, I would do this ...
              https://races.ferrari.com/en/corse-clienti/f1-clienti/

Comment

Originally posted by West View Post
                If I was a bored Billionaire, I would do this ...
                https://races.ferrari.com/en/corse-clienti/f1-clienti/
                Nice, very nice.

If I was PM, a Wisconsin guy, I'd buy the local race track, build a little $5 mil summer cottage there. Menards Road America Raceway.
                Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

There were a few times between 1998 and 2001 Team Menard rented tracks on Mondays after events so Paul could drive Greg Ray's car. They had a seat insert for him, and adjusted the pedals for his bigger frame. I hung around to watch once at PPIR instead of leaving on Sunday evening after load up.

They were a kinda test session and driving school. At that point in his learning curve, he wasn't driving hard and still learning how to hit turn in marks and similar stuff.

At some point, I don't remember when, the experiment was terminated. John possibly considered the safety issue and didn't think IndyCar was right for him, but I'm not sure about the specific events. It is what I heard, and I was just watching, not participating. Later the move was made to stock cars.

Comment

16 seasons, one win....yaaaaaay....

Aside from the family connection, why bother?
                    "Only a fool fights in a burning house."-Kang

"If you listen to fools....The Maaahhhhb Ruuuules....."-Ronnie James Dio

Comment

Paul became a competent journeyman in Cup with $40m in purses as of 2015. (numbers not released since 2016).
                      Montoya doubled his win total, but their average finish is nearly equal.

Comment

Originally posted by rrrr View Post

At some point, I don't remember when, the experiment was terminated. John possibly considered the safety issue and didn't think IndyCar was right for him, but I'm not sure about the specific events. It is what I heard, and I was just watching, not participating. Later the move was made to stock cars.
                        I distinctly remember hearing at the time that John was pretty shaken by Brayton's death, and decided Paul wasn't racing Indycars. That said, the cars are a lot safer than they were back then. Also, Menard was reportedly hooked up with Theresa for some time - so I imagine he knows more about what killed Dale than was ever released to the public.

I'm from a place called the internet. Nothing disturbs me.

Comment

First he gave the same old, I want to spend more time with my family, answer that every retiring athlete, coach, executive gives and they almost never mean it.

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post

Dad's gonna be 80. Forbes reports net worth as $12b.
                          That seems like a good move.

Maybe he'll have some racing team(s) on the side.
                          Paul likes to road race, maybe he does a part time sports car gig.
                          No way do I see him running an Indycar at IMS.

But I think it's a real possibility that he will take more of a hand in the family business since John is getting up there at 80. But I also think he might look at starting or buying a team and charters and using the Menard's sponsorship. And NASCAR might encourage that because so many of their top team owners are in the same age range as John Menard and new blood is going to be needed. Initially Menard's Cashway Lumber got into racing with fellow cheesehead Herm Johnson, was with the Menard team and Buick powered teams at Indy and didn't really get to NASCAR until Paul needed a sponsor. It was basically self funding their efforts. Penske has Menard's on Pagenaud's car and Paul got a ride with the Penske affiliated Wood Brothers. 1+1=2. So if they believe NASCAR is a good marketing tool why pay some other car owner, just form a team and fund it, and the driver options are in a higher talent range because they don't have to look for someone that brings money.
                          "You can't arrest those guys, they're folk heroes"
                          "They're criminals"
                          "Well most folk heroes started out as criminals"

Comment

What I described above at PPIR was in 2000, four years after Scott died.

Comment

Originally posted by Z28 View Post
                              First he gave the same old, I want to spend more time with my family, answer that every retiring athlete, coach, executive gives and they almost never mean it.

But I think it's a real possibility that he will take more of a hand in the family business since John is getting up there at 80. But I also think he might look at starting or buying a team and charters and using the Menard's sponsorship. And NASCAR might encourage that because so many of their top team owners are in the same age range as John Menard and new blood is going to be needed. Initially Menard's Cashway Lumber got into racing with fellow cheesehead Herm Johnson, was with the Menard team and Buick powered teams at Indy and didn't really get to NASCAR until Paul needed a sponsor. It was basically self funding their efforts. Penske has Menard's on Pagenaud's car and Paul got a ride with the Penske affiliated Wood Brothers. 1+1=2. So if they believe NASCAR is a good marketing tool why pay some other car owner, just form a team and fund it, and the driver options are in a higher talent range because they don't have to look for someone that brings money.
                              Is this "real possibility" backed up by facts, or is it just your supposition?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X