Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richmond Weekend

Per a “Message” conversation with RIR:
    As of now, the plan is no support races in 2020.
    Practice Friday, including a night session.
    Qualifying and race Saturday.
    There will be a “Speed Festival”, including Drifting exhibitions, Go Karts, etc.
    Details TBA.
    While I’ll miss seeing a race Friday night and a Silver Crown prelim, I think given that even with all day on track activity and a night race at previous races (which was never attended by more than a couple thousand), focusing on the Indycar race this time around is the way to go.
    The RIR deal is for more than one year, they can always add races later.
    Tickets are more than reasonably priced, camping and garage passes available.

http://www.richmondraceway.com/Vanit...9/IndyCar.aspx
    With one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a Rebel.

I'm sure when 12,000 show up, everyone will blame the lack of support races. Ha ha.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

I've never been to Richmond, but I plan on checking it out in 2020.
      "If you go, you can either win or not win. If you don't go for it, you definitely won't win." Jens Voigt

Comment

Darn. I thought this was going to be a “2020 Camp & Brew South” invite.

Comment

No support races is not ideal... but tbh Richmond has always been about the tailgate. The stands were empty for the silver crown races in the past.

The ticket sales looks pretty solid for an event thats nearly a year away.

Comment

Oh, there will be a C&B South of some description in 2020!
            I probably need to send Glenn a check for the licensing fee.
            And get a sign made.
            Everyone is invited.
            Even those who think the race will be a failure.
            We’re all inclusive like that.
            😉

Comment

Whole hog, a bushel of crab and a keg.

There's time to make that happen
              "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Sounds like a volunteer for the cooking committee.
                I’d offer to fry up some ersters but them rascals is pricey!

Comment

I will bring a six pack and a foot long turkey

A bushel of crab isn't cheap either. The oysters are making a comeback and they make you pay for them. They were nearly extinct.

I think i might skip the 70 dollar Fan Zone infield experience.

110 bucks and they better have a free bbq and some Silver Crowns.

40 bucks is a nice price as it is. I hope that covers friday practice. I would head over to watch the night practice. Then make qualifying on saturday
                  I am curipus to see the time table of events for Saturday. How much time between quals and the race.
                  "Far better it is to dare mighty things, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat" -Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

You want to get you some good oysters, try The Boathouse at Rockett’s Landing.
                    Big selection of local oysters, including my favorites - Rappahannock’s. The Chincoteagues are good too.

Comment

Why doesn't Indy Lights series run as a support race? This year, they even dropped Iowa. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Krogshِj View Post
                        Why doesn't Indy Lights series run as a support race? This year, they even dropped Iowa. Why?
                        Yeah, this was my first thought as well. A place like Richmond is perfect for Lights. And Iowa too, which I didn’t realize they dropped.

Comment

They didn’t run at Richmond before because the Lights owners didn’t want the risk of paying to fix a lot of tore up race cars.
                          They did run F2000 with a Silver Crown Show at RIR mid 90s that went off just fine, so maybe they don’t trust their own drivers.
                          I wouldn’t be surprised if they run a support race in ‘21.
                          I don’t know how long the deal is for, but I was told by someone at RIR it’s not a one year only deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Krogshِj View Post
                            Interesting question. Long Beach was missed also. I'm assuming the loss of Mazda title sponsorship was quite a budget cut.
                            Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Originally posted by jandj View Post
                              Oh, there will be a C&B South of some description in 2020!
                              I probably need to send Glenn a check for the licensing fee.
                              And get a sign made.
                              Everyone is invited.
                              Even those who think the race will be a failure.
                              We’re all inclusive like that.
                              😉
                              I'm excited for you. I know how much you enjoyed the previous races.

We had some great times on those weekends. Two of my favorites:

A. J. on the scanner when Cheever wrecked Salazar..."That MOTHERF***ER Cheever!!" was the start of an all-time classic tirade.

Another year, Hemelgarn was pitted next to us. Early Friday afternoon, Lee Kunzman and I walked over to the Silver Crown pits, which were next to the fence between T1 and T2. He was mentoring Aaron Fike, and wanted to talk to him. Lee likes to talk, and after a while we suddenly heard the first group of IndyCars on pit lane fire up for practice. Seconds later, Buddy Lazier flashed by, and his crew chief was standing next to me BSing. He exclaimed "Oh, ****", and headed toward the pits as fast as his old sprint car busted up body could take him. That was the weekend Aaron became the youngest ever Silver Crown winner.

Remember our big gatherings? A buncha TF friends that had never met each other, and we all had a great time.

Have a good time, old friend. It's gonna be great.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X