Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mario on Pocono, Part 2

https://m.citizensvoice.com/sports/m...epPwQ1SJ-aj8Kk
    With one foot in the grave, and one foot on the pedal, I was born a Rebel.

Found that to be the most critical swipe by Mario in the article.

“There’s two sides to every story,” Andretti said. “But the way I understand it, they came to an agreement on the business side of the race, sanctioning fee and all that. Then the last second — and this is the part that disturbs me because it shows they had already made up their mind and had no intention of coming back — they said now we need to have Pocono basically spend $1 million in improvements before next year. Obviously, they could not absorb that for just a one-year contract.

“That’s the part to me that shows they negotiated in bad faith. They should have even told me, ‘You know what Mario, we’re not going back at least for next year,’ instead of dragging it along and making us believe there still was a chance.”

One of the reasons cited for IndyCar not returning to Pocono was low attendance. But Andretti said the crowd was up for this year’s ABC Supply 500 and feels strongly there is interest in IndyCar in the area.

“It’s taken a while to get the fan base here to wake up that Pocono was happening,” Andretti said. “A lot more work could have been done for next year. I offered my services pro bono to promote. I believe so much that we do have a fan base here. Even though NASCAR has taken over, IndyCar is still alive. To maintain continuity would have been a good plan.”
    The he said, he said stuff is really disappointing. I do agree with Mario it's a mistake to leave, and basically leave 25K loyal fans on the lamb.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

I think most of us agreed this was a big mistake. Mario only confirmed what we already knew. Now ICS just told their fans we don't want you.

Kudo's to Mario for making every effort.
      "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

Comment

First of all, why is Mario even in the middle of this? Not blaming him for trying to help, but you're telling me these clowns camt make a deal without him? So he's involved but is now irate that he was more or less lied to. That's just great.
        "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzlor View Post
          First of all, why is Mario even in the middle of this? Not blaming him for trying to help, but you're telling me these clowns camt make a deal without him? So he's involved but is now irate that he was more or less lied to. That's just great.
          Apparently, with or without Mario you are correct- These clowns can't make a deal.

I think Mario is so close to this because the eastern half of the Commonwealth is Andretti country.
          "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

All of this smacks of the mismanagement of IndyCar that has been prevalent throughout the decades. So many decisions that make no sense, it's a wonder this series still exists at all.

Kudos to Mario for his efforts. I hate to see good faith and hard work wasted.
            "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

I too am extremely disappointed that IndyCar will not race at Pocono in 2020. But I don't think it shows a callous disregard for fans.
              And I do respect Mario's view, even though he has little skin in the game at this point.

In this politically correct, overly sensitive, litigious age, IndyCar must also consider the negative effects of three major accidents in three years, one which resulted in the death of a driver, one which resulted in life changing injuries and one which is widely considered extremely lucky there were no serious injuries.

Consider the number of posters here who have quite loudly advocated the Pocono needs to make safety improvements and make them now.

Perhaps the negotiations could/should have considered phased improvements instead of $1MM in one year.
              BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

In a series struggling to build a fan base, to leave a facility where attendance is growing is just absurd.

I am pretty connected to the northeast dirt track scene both as a fan and having worked as an announcer and PR person. I noticed a re-connection among local fans with IndyCar as a result of the growing event at Pocono. All that progress has been blown up with this move.
                "George Bignotti's Sinmast Wildcat (Designed by Bob Riley); delicately built, carefully prepared and boldly driven by Gordon Johncock." -- Keith Jackson

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                  I too am extremely disappointed that IndyCar will not race at Pocono in 2020. But I don't think it shows a callous disregard for fans.
                  And I do respect Mario's view, even though he has little skin in the game at this point.

In this politically correct, overly sensitive, litigious age, IndyCar must also consider the negative effects of three major accidents in three years, one which resulted in the death of a driver, one which resulted in life changing injuries and one which is widely considered extremely lucky there were no serious injuries.

Consider the number of posters here who have quite loudly advocated the Pocono needs to make safety improvements and make them now.

Perhaps the negotiations could/should have considered phased improvements instead of $1MM in one year.
                  There would have been a myriad of ways to build it into a proper multi-year contract. The problem is that it doesn't seem to have been IndyCar's goal. They wanted to get rid of the race. Or so it seems.

And no, IndyCar should not bow to this poltically correct, overly sensitive, litigious age. It should stand up against it.

Comment

In this politically correct, overly sensitive, litigious age, IndyCar must also consider the negative effects of three major accidents in three years, one which resulted in the death of a driver, one which resulted in life changing injuries and one which is widely considered extremely lucky there were no serious injuries
                    Sure, but like you said, they didn't seem to actually want this, they just seemed to want to employ it as an excuse to cancel the race while trying to deflect criticism from having made the choice to do so.
                    Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

Too bad the "crowd" at Detroit isn't judged by the same standard. There are quite a few other venues that should be worried too. Or at least plant more trees.

Comment

And no, IndyCar should not bow to this poltically correct, overly sensitive, litigious age. It should stand up against it.
                        Much easier said than done.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakester View Post
                          IndyCar must also consider the negative effects of three major accidents in three years, one which resulted in the death of a driver, one which resulted in life changing injuries and one which is widely considered extremely lucky there were no serious injuries.
                          You may want to count again, or are you selectively choosing the years that count?

Comment

“It’s taken a while to get the fan base here to wake up that Pocono was happening,”

Because there was so little "wake up" promotion over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by sadler21 View Post

You may want to count again, or are you selectively choosing the years that count?
                              Beg pardon, fat fingered that one. Justin's death was 2015....3 majors in 4 years

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X