Penalties for avoidable contact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penalties for avoidable contact?

So Graham cleans out almost half the field in turn 1 and RHR boneheads his way in to turn 1 and ... that's it? Clean slate for next race?

Race control needs to do more than just put these drivers on probation; for Graham especially as his contact was more flagrant IMO than RHR's. I really hope race control one day comes up with an automatic disqualification from qualifying for the next event or something along those lines.

A lap 1 incident 2 years in a row where multiple drivers race ends cannot just go off without something more severe.

Problem is you can't afford to DQ anyone from another race. I'm not a fan of 'grid penalties' at future races. To me, first time = probation, second & future times = points. To me points is about the only thing that is going to really matter. RHR's 30 second stop and go was a joke. I don't think GR or RHR are particularly aggressive, dirty drivers. But the series does need to find an effective way to deter the boneheadedness. IMO, others may vary.

Comment

It's Portland. You know that by going there your going to have a first turn wreck. It's a given.

Portland is one of those tracks that has a "Turn 1 Vortex" of sorts.
      The formula is thus. You have a wide track, that narrows up real quick into a tight turn. Someone, is always going to be suckered up the inside. Greg Moore did it one year, and that one was even more boneheaded.

Cleveland was the Exhibit A in this. But we have a few other tracks that have one. Indy GP for example.

Go back over the years. Almost every year, with a few exceptions. They had a first turn wreck
      Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

I hate penalties for on-course action unless it is deliberate.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Iz7t4DFoYk

For reference.

Almost every year. One of these up the inside wrecks.
          Silly Season scorecard and Where are the Indy 500 winning cars! http://inrd.gotdns.com/indystuff/

Comment

Originally posted by drewdawg727 View Post
            So Graham cleans out almost half the field in turn 1 and RHR boneheads his way in to turn 1 and ... that's it? Clean slate for next race?

Race control needs to do more than just put these drivers on probation; for Graham especially as his contact was more flagrant IMO than RHR's. I really hope race control one day comes up with an automatic disqualification from qualifying for the next event or something along those lines.

A lap 1 incident 2 years in a row where multiple drivers race ends cannot just go off without something more severe.
            There's Formula One if you want to see penalties for almost every single incident.
            IndyCar fan4ever.

Comment

Sponsors are hard enough to come by in Indycar. No way they take a car off track for even qualifying because of something that happened in a previous race.

Comment

All very interesting points. Glad I opened the discussion!

Comment

IMO standing starts would limit the carnage at Portland and Indy GP so why not give them another try? This super-talented field should be able to avoid a car stalled on the grid at the start, and speed going into turn one would be reduced, possibly making contact survivable.
                  "Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

Ferrucci has gone up the escape road on turn 1, lap 1 in both his Portland races. Last year no one wrecked there, but a couple of cars to his inside banged wheels so he immediately bailed out. I think he essentially anticipates trouble, while others just throw it in there. Not one scratch to his or an opponent's car all season.

Lots of drivers behaving desperately these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Shake speare View Post
                      Ferrucci has gone up the escape road on turn 1, lap 1 in both his Portland races. Last year no one wrecked there, but a couple of cars to his inside banged wheels so he immediately bailed out. I think he essentially anticipates trouble, while others just throw it in there. Not one scratch to his or an opponent's car all season.

Lots of drivers behaving desperately these days.
                      Not enough ovals on the schedule to expose his ARCA brakes style there. He dodged a couple of huge bullets at Texas & Pocono but there will come a time he floors it and drives straight into trouble. It's only a matter of time IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Vassago View Post

Not enough ovals on the schedule to expose his ARCA brakes style there. He dodged a couple of huge bullets at Texas & Pocono but there will come a time he floors it and drives straight into trouble. It's only a matter of time IMO.
                        You forgot Indy.

He's a race car driver and will, as they all do, muck it up occasionally. It's not much of a gamble for you to say that.

But his move to avoid carnage at Portland involved using his brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by fenderless View Post
                          IMO standing starts would limit the carnage at Portland and Indy GP so why not give them another try? This super-talented field should be able to avoid a car stalled on the grid at the start, and speed going into turn one would be reduced, possibly making contact survivable.
                          because the one time they DID attempt a SS at IMS, there was carnage on the grid?

Comment

Originally posted by Nigel Red5 View Post

because the one time they DID attempt a SS at IMS, there was carnage on the grid?
                            So I gather that a one-time failed experiment is forever bad. Got it.

"Loyalty to petrified opinions never yet broke a chain or freed a human soul in this world — and never will." Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by fenderless View Post

So I gather that a one-time failed experiment is forever bad. Got it.
                              That's the one everyone remembers because it was dramatic. My memory isn't the best but I'm pretty sure they did a few standing starts before the Indy GP and they were not all disasters or resulted in crashes. Hopefully someone with a better memory can confirm or deny my claim.

Based on some of the driving I've seen the last couple seasons, I don't have confidence that all of these drivers could avoid a stalled car. So while I'd prefer standing starts it's probably best to avoid them.
                              If you make something idiot proof, the world will build a better idiot.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X