Question for the techincal gurus on TF: windscreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the techincal gurus on TF: windscreen

Will the windscreen have significant Aero influence on the car? Will it add downforce or Create turbulence?
    Get your head out of your past!!!

I don't think it will add downforce. Turbulence, possibly but don't quote me on that. Its effect on drag is the big question to me, along with if and how the airflow around the windscreen interacts with the rear wing.

This is of course a discussion only of the current iteration, grafted onto a car that was otherwise not designed for it. It will be interesting to see how the windscreen is integrated into the next generation chassis that WILL be designed for it.
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Marauder View Post
      I don't think it will add downforce. Turbulence, possibly but don't quote me on that. Its effect on drag is the big question to me, along with if and how the airflow around the windscreen interacts with the rear wing.

This is of course a discussion only of the current iteration, grafted onto a car that was otherwise not designed for it. It will be interesting to see how the windscreen is integrated into the next generation chassis that WILL be designed for it.
      Listen to Marshall Pruett's Week in Indycar Podcast. The guest is Craig Hampson. He was asked a version of this question and he said that because of the added weight high in the front, he would be throwing his set-ups from this year out the window. He went over a litany of things that this will change (mostly related to weight distribution). He also said that he expects that the weight distribution change will force firestone to reformulate all their front tires.

It's very interesting, and without transcribing it, I would do injustice to his answer.

Comment

BTW: https://racer.com/2019/08/14/dixon-s...ew-aeroscreen/
        Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Comment

Since there is the possibility of this creating more turbulence, I would hope IndyCar runs 3 or 4 of them together to see the effect. This needs to be done while there would be enough time to make changes to the cars if it makes passing any harder than it already is.

Comment

Originally posted by 56Novi View Post
            Since there is the possibility of this creating more turbulence, I would hope IndyCar runs 3 or 4 of them together to see the effect. This needs to be done while there would be enough time to make changes to the cars if it makes passing any harder than it already is.
            They've already simulated that in CFD. Running 3 or 4 cars together wouldn't tell you much. You would need more cars. It's just going to clean up the airflow over the car (compared to the driver helmet) and make it more consistent, car-to-car.

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder-Tank View Post
              Will the windscreen have significant Aero influence on the car? Will it add downforce or Create turbulence?
              As already mentioned, the biggest impact will be weight. The screen won't add downforce, doesn't increase frontal area and will clean up the airflow a bit over/around what was a bit of an aerodynamically dirty area. As such, I don't expect it will have any significant effect on the turbulence generated by the car.

"I would really like to go to NASCAR. I really enjoy NASCAR and if I could be there in a couple of years that's where I'd want to be." - Jeff Gordon (after testing a Formula Super Vee)

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X