NBC showing the Wickens Pocono crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBC showing the Wickens Pocono crash

First let me say Robbie is an inspiration a total bad ass , a hero and I can’t wait to see him get back in the car

I just saw on Instagram that NBCSN is doing yet ANOTHER profile on the crash etc

Anyone else kind of sick of them pimping Robbie out whenever they need to fill in content during the pre-race? St Pete, Indy , Toronto, etc ...

It seems gratuitous and in a way insincere.

This weekend will be the return to the place that bit him. You can't expect them not to point that out.
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Comment

Pimping him out?
      Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who is the Keenest of them all?

Comment

Has Indycar ever released a detailed crash analysis “white paper” on the Wickens crash? I attended a presentation by the late Dr John Melvin of Mich State on the Earnhardt fatal wreck at Daytona and what lessons learned that they were wanting to communicate to other racing classes.
        Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

It's a compelling story. I wouldn't consider it "pimping" Wickens out. If it draws attention from people in the healthcare industry or benefactors that help with is support and recovery - it's well worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by nascarnation View Post
            Has Indycar ever released a detailed crash analysis “white paper” on the Wickens crash? I attended a presentation by the late Dr John Melvin of Mich State on the Earnhardt fatal wreck at Daytona and what lessons learned that they were wanting to communicate to other racing classes.
            I believe MP mentioned that the black box of the car was damaged so I don't know how much info they got from that.

I can't imagine Indycar not doing an extensive analysis but I don't really see any reason to publish that sort of stuff out. I'm sure the applicable parties are kept well informed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikemat5150 View Post

I believe MP mentioned that the black box of the car was damaged so I don't know how much info they got from that.

I can't imagine Indycar not doing an extensive analysis but I don't really see any reason to publish that sort of stuff out. I'm sure the applicable parties are kept well informed.
              The Toronto Star did an extensive article on him during Toronto race weekend and I believe in that article he stated that the crash recorders themselves were completely destroyed. Something that had never happened before.

I'd rather have 10% of the world interested in the ICS than 50% of US that NASCAR currently has

Comment

Originally posted by RahalsMustache View Post

I just saw on Instagram that NBCSN is doing yet ANOTHER profile on the crash etc....
                It seems gratuitous and in a way insincere.
                How do you know that it is gratuitous or insincere if you haven't seen it yet?

I wonder what Wickens thinks.
                There's really no such thing as Gary the Moose, Sybil.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikemat5150 View Post

I'm always creeped out by people in the general public who are demanding the full report of race crashes be made public, like in this case. There are a lot of sick people out there, subreddits devoted purely to video of motorsports accidents for example. I'm sure IndyCar had already shared data with Dallara and interested parties in the motorsports safety community. Why the weirdo crash fetishists feel they're entitled to every single detail is beyond me.

Comment

The Dr. Melvin presentation was at PRI and the purpose was to inform racers what had been learned from the Earnhardt fatality. Lessons learned relative to head restraints, seating, seat belts, etc. all of which "flow down" to lower cost race cars. There are more serious injuries and fatalities in amateur and semi-pro competition, not necessarily because of the cars but the larger population of people competing (in comparison to top line formulas).
                    Road racing is doomed...what this country needs is a big new racetrack designed for automobiles instead of horses. C.G. Fisher

Comment

Is Wickens coming this weekend to Pocono? I kind of doubt it, since he just started training again.
                      "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

I don’t have a problem with showing a bad crash in context of a/the story...At the time it happens including replays...as a news story through a reasonable time period...and as an update/feature...

What bothers me is when a tragic crash happens, and a station who wouldn’t normally even give the results of the race uses video of the incident over and over to promote the upcoming sports segment...They did this repeatedly in LA after Greg Moore’s crash...Teases before the newscast and leading into every break before sports....Probably five times in all before sports...Doing this within the context story is fine to me, the gratuitous promotion is not...

Comment

Showing crashes is a part of television promotion and has been since Wide World Of Sports. It's a part of this
                          wonderful sport that those with no stomach cannot tolerate. If it's so bad for some, I think stick and ball is a
                          better option.

Today's motorsport fan has become soft to what can happen.
                          ...---...

Comment

I do not like to see that crash, but I cannot say that my personal distaste for the replay is enough to justify never airing it. I did not like seeing the Bourdais time trials wreck, either; ABC and NBCSN both aired the hell out of that over and over and over again.

You have to remember that IMS Productions and Versus debuted the coverage that became NBCSN with a television commercial including footage of two fatal crashes (Sachs and Savage). Complaints on places like the TrackForum made them edit it, but not after it already aired plenty.

Versus also ran a bunch of IMS Productions-produced specials before their first race in 2009; one was "Crashes and Conflicts." "Thrills and Spills" was a staple in what many call the golden era of motorsports coverage on ESPN.

Personally, I think promotion via crashes is stupid and trying to sell the wrong part of the sport. It amazes me how technical NASCAR actually is, yet they just tell the world, "hoopty-doop we crash the cars wad 'em up baby," totally missing out on all the cool things that they never talk about. IndyCar equally has no need to sell itself with wrecks, yet there they are.

Covering the Wickens' story and including footage of the wreck is different than promoting the sport through the crash. It's something they use to add drama to the story.

Where NBCSN and IMS Productions need to get their **** together is on how they cover these things as they happen. Pocono 2015 was a masterclass is tastelessness. Leigh, Steve, and Paul completely ignored the gravity of what was happening and just went back to shouting about how great the racing was and how they hoped they'd restart so we could see even more. Paul, a man of little sensitivity and tact, was the only one in the booth to even acknowledge that maybe Justin Wilson's situation wasn't great—but that was just a passing remark before a "but let's hope we go back to racing" type of comment. Jon Beekhuis giving Ryan Hunter-Reay a "it's what Justin would've wanted" before confirmation that Wilson hadn't made it was an awkward slip, too.

Clearly, no one learned anything, as Pocono 2018 was again a total disaster. Immediate replays without the audience knowing the driver's condition (NBCSN likely knew he was not dead, but they could not communicate that to us, so it's terrible optics to show to an audience that is still worrying he didn't make it—and, when you read that one article, the risks of him dying in surgery etc. were nowhere near gone), immediate praise of INDYCAR, more of the same from the booth (maybe a little bit more subdued than 2015, at least), and Kevin Lee going on a fishing expedition in his interviews to get people like Michael Andretti to make extremely assholish comments about Wickens doing it to himself. And then NBC took it to digital platforms, wherein Paul Tracy posted a false update to Instagram (and yet the least offensive thing that guy tosses up on social media) that forced the Wickens family to post an update they didn't want to have to release, and wherein NBC paid a random doctor to needlessly speculate on Wickens' condition ("he'll probably be incontinent!") on MotorSportsTalk.

And it's hard to forget Fontana 2013, when Carlos Muñoz had a huge hit and before the car even stopped rolling, Townsend Bell had to blurt, "I hate to say I told you so!" because being right that Muñoz was over-aggressive was more important than waiting to see if he was okay.

If NBCSN is going to fix something (other than firing the entire booth and starting over, which would be ideal—pick two or a rotation of Hornish, Briscoe, Alex Lloyd, Oriol Servià, Beekhuis, or Krohn with Lee or Bestwick would be optimal, giving Dillon Welch more reps on pit road...and that's me being really kind to everyone, because if I had my way, Goodyear and Cheever would come back, but alas I know I'm alone in missing them and the best interviewer in sports, Rick DeBruhl), they need to fix how they prepare for disaster. You have to rehearse that from time to time. Diffey's permanent carnival barker/Oxi Clean infomercial style does not lend itself to taking thing seriously. Tracy and Bell's egos and need to be right get in the way. I like Lee in the booth but find him to be the kind of interviewer who does all the talking and leaves no room for us to hear from the subject; that set up a lot of clunky remarks from team owners and drivers during the Robert Wickens red flag. Robin Miller's not exactly the guy you want on TV when someone's life is in jeopardy...you're not getting a sympathetic, tasteful thing out of him when he can fetishize danger.

So, fix that. It'll happen again. Now, it's guaranteed that if it happens between now and the end of 2020 (and likely the end of 2021, as it seems a foregone conclusion NBC will exercise their option on year three), it'll happen on NBC on an IMS Productions-led telecast. They cannot keep doing what they've done. And that's a way bigger deal than the replays a year later, knowing where Wickens is now.

Comment

I don’t care if they continue showing the crash. But I’ve seen it enough and enjoy seeing the videos of Rob’s rehab and recovery.
                              Reason is not automatic. Those who do not believe in it cannot be conquered by it. And, the trouble with being punctual is that there is nobody there to appreciate it.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X