What becomes of Lucas Oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What becomes of Lucas Oil?

Lucas Oil and McLaren dont really seem like kindred sorority from a “brand “ perspective. i dont see the “corporate “ synergy. Therefore would anyone else be shocked if they exited the Schmidt/ McLaren sponsor portfolio ?

Current teams without a lubricant/ petroleum sponsor:
    Foyt
    Carlin
    Andretti: Patchwork of Castrol and Duramax/Reladyne... no continuity
    Ganassi: Minor Castrol associate sponsor

If they move I think it’s either to MSR, Andretti , or Ganassi

Hopefully move to another team.
    "If your car was a dog, then you had to figure it out and test your own limits. And we didn't go to a wind tunnel – we did it in the first turn at Indianapolis."

Comment

I have no idea but some thoughts:

1. Lucas Oil sponsors a lot of things - so it may stay or move to another team like has in Indycar. It also has to get along with another oil brand that may be a sponsor like Petro-Canada Lubricants that overlaps very little. Petro-Canada Lubricants is not part of Petro-Canada anymore and has ties to Hinch's father's business.

2. McLaren is likely to lose Petrobras in F1 due to Brazilian govt. it is a sponsor arrangement, as it actually uses BP/Castrol fuel like Renault factory team does. Not sure about oil.

3. McLaren's Indycar team is likely going to have a US-centric fuel/oil sponsor if any or will need to be an international oil sponsor for oil (sells in US and most markets) - like ExxonMobil (Mobil 1 - already with Red Bull and other series' teams), Shell (Shell/Pennzoil/Quaker State - already with Ferrari, Alfa, and Team Penske and many other series' teams), BP/Castrol (Renault and Andretti) or a niche premium oil brand (Ravenol, Red Line, etc.).

4. McLaren may have nothing other than for marketing reasons for the road cars' recommended brand, since Indycar oil brand sponsorship isn't much unless B2B or a title/2nd sponsor like Shell/Pennzoil with Penske or Castrol with Andretti or Total with RLL.
      And don't forget the heat!

Comment

Pure speculation, but my guess is Lucas Oil stays with Arrow McLaren SP as an associate sponsor.
        BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

I think Lucas Oil does everything possible to stay with the team and be associated with a manufacturer like McLaren. You take Lucas from the cornfields to supercars. Don’t forget, despite all of the focus on McLaren, this is Zak Brown the motorsports marketing guy. Wasn’t the Lucas deal a multi year deal?

It probably won’t happen, but I hope the team stays with their primarily black livery and only accents with the McLaren papaya orange like their corporate logos. They’ve done the nostalgia thing.
          Last edited by Nigel Red5; 08-12-2019, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Castrol has reduced its sponsorship in North America.

Comment

I'd like to see Lucas Oil stay with ASPM for 2020, but no idea if they will or not. If they don't stay with ASPM, i hope they stay in Indycar and sponsor a car for the '500. If they move, I could see them going to Andretti and be their 5th Indy 500 car sponsor
              World's biggest Ryan Hunter-Reay fan!

When not discussing opinions, I try my best to only post facts, if I post something factually incorrect please correct me with a source (if possible)

Comment

They become a discounted product on the bargain shelf at your local auto parts store.
                "Lead,follow or get the hell out of the way!

Lee Iacocca

Comment

Originally posted by RahalsMustache View Post
                  Lucas Oil and McLaren dont really seem like kindred sorority from a “brand “ perspective. i dont see the “corporate “ synergy. Therefore would anyone else be shocked if they exited the Schmidt/ McLaren sponsor portfolio ?

Honest question. Are you bringing this up because the majority owners of McLaren are Mansour Ojjeh and the Bahraini Royal Investment Fund? Outside of that, I don't see a disconnect between the Lucas Oil as a company and McLaren from a brand perspective.

Comment

Total is in America? Have never seen a Total gas station there.

Comment

Originally posted by RS2 View Post
                      https://www.total.com/en/united-states-

We are active in the United States in every business sector of the oil industry, except retail fuel distribution.
                      BAN SHREDDED CHEESE! MAKE AMERICA GRATE AGAIN!

Comment

Don't know about other states but they certainly have stations in Texas.

Comment

Do we know for a fact SPM gets cash money from this Lucas deal? As I recall in their time as an Indy Lights only team they put the logos on the car in exchange for free lubricants.

Comment

TOTAL gas stations used to be in the midwest US, particularly Michigan and then sold off the chain in pieces without the brand. elf sells motor oil and racing fuel in the US, but is very, very much targeted at a very small high end niche and is almost unknown outside of racing and karting circles here.

Fina gas stations also used to be big in the Southern US, but Total sold the chain to Alon who uses a modified version of the Fina logo with Alon name.

My guess is McLaren is going to want to partner with a branded lubricant partner that is both technologically leading and globally available and known. Lucas Oil is not that.
                            And don't forget the heat!

Comment

I used Total oil in my last Vw tdi for the 100k after the included oil changes ended. I saw a full selection it on the rack at Autozone last week.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X